When was the last time you ordered something from Amazon? Yesterday? A week ago? Within the last month? If you live and die by the Amazon name like a lot of people, you won’t be surprised to hear Amazon competes in the mattress industry. The online retailer offers several bed-in-a-box options and industry-standard risk-free trials.
Buying a bed from Amazon has many benefits –– easy and familiar navigation, Amazon pricing (which can differ from the brand’s suggested price), and that nifty little “compare to similar items” button. Of course, you can check out online mattresses by visiting the company’s website, but if you want to see a variety of brands all in one place, Amazon can do that for you. You can get some of the best online mattresses from Amazon.
Before we jump into the beds, let’s just quickly cover how we selected this list. First and foremost, we disregarded the major brands (e.g. Nectar, Leesa, and GhostBed) except for Tuft & Needle (we’ll explain later) that also sell on Amazon.
Why? Well, we felt if people were going to buy one of these mattresses, they’d probably just buy directly through the brand’s site so they don’t have to worry about how Amazon handles trial periods, warranties, and all that stuff (more information on that down below). For this list, we wanted to focus more on the lesser-known brands that tend to be more affordable.
The 6 Best Mattresses On Amazon
- Best Foam Mattress On Amazon :Tuft Needle NodStarting at $269 Shop Now
- Best Memory Foam Mattress On Amazon :Lucid 10 Memory Foam HybridStarting at $220 Shop Now
- Best Cheap Mattress :AmazonBasics Memory Foam MattressStarting at $146 Shop Now
- Best Foam Mattress :Casper ElementStarting at $395 Shop Now
- Best Selling Amazon Mattress :Linenspa 12 Inch Memory Foam HybridStarting at $250 Shop Now
- Best Accommodating Foam Mattress :ZomaStarting at $649 Shop Now
Honest Video Review For Best Amazon Mattress
Compare Best Amazon Beds
Best Foam Mattress On Amazon
Why Tuft & Needle won as best foam mattress on Amazon
The Nod is an Amazon exclusive mattress from the popular brand Tuft & Needle. It’s an 8″ all-foam bed that consists of just two layers. The top layer is a proprietary foam that has a soft neutral-foam feel. We think most folks out there will like the feel of the Tuft & Needle Nod. Our team members here think it’s a very comfortable bed and is one of the best foam mattresses. It’s one of the best online beds you can buy from Amazon.
Tuft & Needle best features:
- The Tuft & Needle Nod mattress is extremely affordable.
- The Nod mattress is fairly responsive. So you won’t get any of that stuck-in-the-mud type resistance you get with a lot of memory foam beds. Switching between sleeping positions during the night will be effortless.
- We also think that the Tuft & Needle Nod bed comfortably accommodates all types of sleepers (side, back, stomach and any combination thereof). It’s a medium in terms of firmness and strikes a healthy balance between comfort and support.
Why we picked it
As you can tell, we like the Tuft & Needle Nod a lot, as do a lot of other people. After all, it has a 4.5-star rating on Amazon for a reason. Of course, its price may have something to do with that as well. To put it simply, the Nod is extremely affordable. Prices range from about $250 to $500, depending on the size you’re looking for. As a result, there’s a good chance that Tuft & Needle Nod is the single best mattress on Amazon.
The only drawback is that it’s not the best option for heavier folks –– since it’s an 8″ all-foam bed. That’s the case with most all-foam beds 10″ thick or under, so it’s nothing out of the ordinary. Heavy people will be better off with other beds on this list that contain coils. Petite and average-sized sleepers will be just fine on this bed, though.
Best Memory Foam Mattress
Why Lucid won best memory foam mattress on Amazon
For people who prefer hybrid or coil beds, the Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Hybrid is a solid option. The 5.5″ individually encased coils provide the bed with a solid support structure (great for heavy folks 250 lbs+) and give the bed a little bit of bounce.
On top, the mattress uses a 2.5″ layer of memory foam, but don’t let the name fool you—it’s actually more of a responsive memory foam that gives the bed a neutral-foam feel.
Lucid’s best features
- Overall, we think the bed comes in around a medium on the firmness scale. It strikes a nice balance between support and pressure relief.
- The Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Hybrid has a nice, neutral-foam feel.
- We think this bed is ideal for all kinds of sleepers (back, stomach, side and combo) and body types, given the coils in the bed.
Why we picked this bed
Bottom line, if you prefer more of a responsive or neutral foam over traditional memory foam and you want coils for added support, it’s tough to beat the Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Hybrid. Especially considering you can sometimes snag the bed for around the $300 mark. Pricing often fluctuates, so it might behoove you to see what it’s currently being offered for on Amazon.
Best Cheap Mattress For Your Budget
Why AmazonBasics won as best cheap mattress
This mattress comes to us from the popular AmazonBasics line of products (i.e., it’s owned by Amazon, not a third-party seller). However, the bed didn’t just make this list due to its name; we actually think it’s a great value.
If price is your main concern and you don’t really care about thickness or longevity, the AmazonBasics mattress is an excellent option. It’s perhaps the best cheap mattress you can buy on Amazon, yet it’s still fairly comfortable and solid enough to get the job done (at least for a few years). To be clear, it’s all about the budget, not necessarily the quality of the foam mattress.
AmazonBasics best features
- The bed comes in three different models –– you can choose between 8″, 10″ and 12″ options. As you might imagine, the thicker the model, the more expensive the price tag, but honestly, even the 12″ model is still very affordable.
- Each model uses a top layer of memory foam, but like the Lucid Hybrid mentioned above, it’s more of a responsive memory foam. In addition, the bed has what we consider to be a soft, neutral-foam feel. Overall, it’s a very comfortable and accommodating mattress that we think suits all sleeper positions.
- Given its simple all-foam construction, we don’t think it’s an ideal option for heavy folks. If you weigh over 250 pounds, you’ll most likely want to stick with one of the hybrid options mentioned above.
- You can often find the AmazonBasics mattress for under $250!
Why we picked this mattress
As long as you know what you’re getting with the AmazonBasics foam mattress, we think it’s a solid value play. In our eyes, it’s best for petite and average-sized individuals who just want a super cheap foam mattress on Amazon. However, if you don’t fall into that category, we also think this a perfect mattress to throw in your guest room. As you might expect, this is also the best-selling memory foam mattress on Amazon because it’s the house brand.
Most Accommodating Mattress on Amazon
Why Casper Element won as most accommodating mattress on Amazon
Casper is synonymous with the online mattress game, and Casper Element offers the comfort of their ultra-popular flagship mattress at a more affordable price point. Like the original Tuft and Needle Mattress, Casper Element has a simple two-layer construction and comes in a medium firmness level meant to suit all sleeper positions.
Casper Element best features
- A queen Casper Element costs around $595 –– before discounts.
- We think Casper Element suits all sleeper positions, including back sleepers.
- This bed is constructed with just two foam layers, so we wouldn’t recommend it to plus-size sleepers who need more sturdy support. Conversely, though, it’s great for petite to average-sized sleepers who are looking for something simple.
Why we picked it
The Casper Element is supposed to be the brand’s budget-tier offering, and we think it’s a worthy choice among the top wallet-friendly foam mattresses on Amazon. A queen size retails for $595, and that’s just the price before discounts are applied. It only gets cheaper! If you want a simple foam bed backed by the biggest bed in a box brand online, this is a great option.
Best Selling Amazon Mattress
Why Linenspa won best selling Amazon mattress
A key part of this list was choosing beds that offer great values or beds that offer ample comfort and support at a very reasonable price. The 12″ thick Linenspa Hybrid model offers exactly that.
While you can choose the construction of your Linenspa Hybrid bed (8″, 10″, and 12″), we think the 12″ model is ideal because it’s thick, accommodates all body types, and is rated around a medium on our firmness profile. That means it should provide a nice balance between support and pressure relief and accommodate all sleeper positions. If you’re a petite sleeper, you may find it a bit firmer, while heavier sleepers will find it to be a little softer than a medium.
Linenspa Hybrid best features
- The Linenspa mattress is available in three models. The 12″ model accommodates all body types and is a medium on our firmness scale.
- The Linenspa Memory Foam Mattress is a hybrid mattress, so it strikes a nice balance between comfort and support.
- We can’t talk about this bed without mentioning the extremely wallet-friendly price tag. Hybrid beds (mattresses made with coils and foam) tend to be a little pricier than all-foam ones, but the 12″ Linenspa Gel Memory Foam Hybrid is only $385.
Why we picked this mattress
This is one of the most affordable hybrid mattresses on the market, and customers receive it incredibly well on Amazon (not to mention us, too). It accommodates all body types and just about all sleeper types unless you’re looking for an exceptionally plush mattress. Nevertheless, it’s a durable bed and offers a great bang for your buck.
Best Accommodating Foam Mattress on Amazon
Zoma is a memory foam mattress that’s sold exclusively on Amazon. It’s made with a transition layer of proprietary Reactiv foam designed to be both responsive and supportive. Topping the Zoma mattress is a Triangulex Memory Foam. It’s completely unique to the Zoma mattress, and you won’t find it anywhere else. This layer has hundreds of small triangular segments that are specially designed to deliver pressure relief.
Overall, Zoma is a really accommodating, solid bed. Pretty much anyone can sleep on it. We should note that it’s specifically marked towards athletes (but that doesn’t mean it’s only for them.) The triangular sectional design and proprietary foams are said to help athletes get better sleep and ultimately perform better. We can’t really vouch for that, but it’s definitely a really solid bed.
Zoma’s best features:
- The Triangulex design targets your pressure points, so you can forget about pressure points on your shoulders, hips, and knees.
- It’s a really affordable, versatile mattress.
- Also available in a hybrid version, which is great for heavier people or people who want the support of a coil base.
Why Should You Buy a Mattress on Amazon?
Buying a mattress online is generally cheaper, more accessible and a straightforward process. While you trade the ability to lay on the bed before you buy, Amazon’s reasonable return policies make it a very low-risk buy.
The biggest advantage Amazon gives you is the ability to scroll through all the best mattresses from multiple brands –- instead of having to hop from site to site. Not to mention thousands of customer reviews that you can reference for added context.
Amazon Bed by Sleeper Type
Regardless of where you decide to do your mattress shopping, you’ll want to have a general idea of what kind of bed is comfortable for you. This is especially true when shopping online for a bed because you can’t actually feel the mattress, so you have to know what to look for in the description and reviews.
Here’s a breakdown of the basics, the need-to-know, the general info that all people who sleep on beds should have in regards to sleeper type:
- Back and stomach sleepers
Back and stomach sleepers should look for beds with ample support around your hips and trunk area. You want to be sure you keep your spine in alignment, which means you can’t have an uncomfortable gap under your lower back and you don’t want a bed that sinks too much all over. This generally means something on the firmer side instead of a bed described as soft or medium-soft. You can also check what brands made it to our lists of best mattresses for stomach sleepers and best mattresses for back sleepers.
- Side sleepers
Side sleepers need to look for mattresses that provide pressure relief. When sleeping on your side, you still want to keep your spine straight to prevent waking up sore. That means you need the bed to give around your shoulder and hips and you don’t want to have a gap under your stomach. Side sleepers usually need a softer bed than back and stomach sleepers. In particular, memory foam mattresses tend to be a good option for side sleepers.
- Combo sleepers
Combo sleepers (those who switch positions throughout the night) will want something that caters to both the need for support and pressure relief. Look for a mattress in the middle-ground in terms of softness/firmness and pay attention to the material used for each layer of the mattress. We also have a list of the best mattresses for combination sleepers that you might want to consult.
The Best Mattress Brands On Amazon
In our opinion, Amazon is a great place to shop for a mattress, but it doesn’t necessarily carry all products from all mattress brands. But, since you’re interested in the best mattress brands on Amazon, here’s a look at some of our favorites:
- Nest Bedding
- Tuft & Needle
Of course, the list above is not exhaustive, but if you’re just starting your search, it’s a great place to begin. Of all of the mattress brands we’re familiar with, about 20% of them list their products on Amazon, so you will have a large pool from which to choose.
Our Amazon Shopping Tips
Tip One: Read everything.
Seriously, read everything. Most online bed-in-a-box mattresses come with industry-standard free shipping, a risk-free trial period, free returns, and extended warranties. But if you decide to go the Amazon route instead of ordering directly from the company, it’s a good idea to double-check all of those things. Sometimes, purchasing a mattress on Amazon will negate that 100-night trial period that many brands offer on their website. If that’s the case, you’ll most likely be stuck with Amazon’s 30-day return policy as your “trial period.”
Also, we have heard that you might have to jump through some extra hoops in order to return a mattress via Amazon. So again, it might be a good idea to email the seller before you actually purchase a mattress to inquire about how they handle trial periods, returns, and warranties via Amazon.
Tip Two: Pay attention to the seller.
Just because you’re looking at nice, pretty, studio-shot photos of a mattress don’t guarantee that’s what you’ll actually get. There are heartless scammers out there, people. Don’t let yourself be a victim of their disreputable ways. Check out the seller ratings and read the comments. Be safe, not sorry. Be conscious, not conned.
Tri-Tip (get it?): Don’t be seduced by low, low prices.
You can find really affordable stuff on Amazon, but you still get what you pay for. Going for a cheap mattress on Amazon can save you a lot of money, and you’ll technically have a new mattress, but don’t expect it to outperform beds in the $1K-2K range. There might be a few exceptions, but assume the quality will match the price as a general rule. As such, if you’re after the best mattress on Amazon, you have to ignore the price, or at least be somewhat price insensitive.
Tip Four: Do your research outside of Amazon, as well.
Amazon reviews are convenient and can be a good place to find red flags as we mentioned, but they’re rarely comprehensive. It’s always a good idea to look for information on products from sources other than the seller or maker. And seeing as you’re here at the Slumber Yard, you’re already doing that. Look at you go.
Tip Five: Know your mattress types.
If you want the best memory foam mattress on Amazon, you should know what that material feels like. Likewise, if you just want the best foam mattress, you should recognize that most of the time you’re looking for a proprietary foam or poly foam top layer.
Tip Six: Amazon does not always have the best price for cheap mattresses.
For instance, if Nectar is running a sale on their website, they won’t necessarily always run that promotion on Amazon. So therefore, it might be the same mattress, but it’s not always best on your budget to buy a mattress on Amazon.
Tip Seven: Take a good look at the return policies.
Companies that typically offer a trial period may not offer that same trial period on Amazon. In fact, it depends on who is actually selling that bed. For instance, if you’re buying the mattress from Amazon, it most likely comes with a 30-day trial period, but if the actual vendor is the brand itself, often they will still honor their trial period.
What Else Should You Look At On Amazon?
Amazon has a ton of products from A to Z, so you might as well shop for some other mattress-related goods while you’re there.
- Mattress protectors: They protect your mattress from spills and stains. To clean them, simply remove the protector from your mattress and toss them in the washer.
- Pillows: You’ll want to find pillows that keep your spine in proper alignment while providing a high level of comfort. Amazon has a great selection of top-rated pillows.
- Sheet sets: These sheet sets include a fitted sheet, pillow shams, and more.
- Bedding: When looking for bedding, you’ll want to keep the temperature in mind as some comforters are much warmer than others.
- Bed frames: Amazon sells various bed frames, including wave, foldable, and platform, to name a few.
How We Test The Mattresses
- My Slumber Yard
My Slumber Yard has been around since the beginning of the bed-in-a-box craze. Our team has personally tested over 175 mattresses so far, and we keep more than 150 beds in our office so we can compare them (and take afternoon naps).
When testing mattresses, we evaluate the following factors:
- Construction: We cut mattresses open to see what’s inside and how it’s made.
- Feel: We check if it has a stuck-in-the-mud memory foam feel, or if it’s more of a neutral foam or a plush pillow top, etc.
- Firmness: We have our own firmness scale and evaluate how that may vary depending on your body and sleeper type.
- Pressure relief: We test what’s the sweet spot for different body and sleeper types.
- Edge Support: This is important for couples who share a bed. Would you roll-out of the bed, or can you sleep confidently close to the edges?
- Motion Isolation: We use the water glass test to see how the bed fares with motion transfer. This is another important factor for couples that don’t want to wake up one another when they move.
- Temperature Regulation: We use a temperature gun to evaluate if the bed warms up, stays neutral, or actively cools while you are sleeping.
- Noise: This could be an issue in beds with coils or innerspring.
- Off-Gassing: Some beds could have a smell for a few weeks after unpacking, and we try to warn you about it.
- Company policies: We also take into account policies such as shipping, returns, trial period, and warranty.
- Value: We look at a bed’s price in the context of what it offers in terms of features and quality of materials and construction.
Yes! The AmazonBasics mattress is an excellent choice if the price is your main concern and you’re not as concerned about longevity or thickness. Keep in mind that Amazon does not make all the mattresses sold on the platform. The companies make the brand name mattresses. So the Casper Element is made by Casper; it’s just sold through Amazon.
There is no one best mattress on Amazon. It comes down to your body type, sleeping style and personal preferences. Every single one of the mattresses on our list is good mattresses. First, you have to decide what you’re looking for in terms of material and firmness.
The Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Hybrid mattress is our pick for the best memory foam mattress on Amazon. It strikes a nice balance between support and pressure relief and suits every type of sleeper.
Usually, Amazon is really good with returns, even when it comes to mattresses. That said, returns can vary depending on the vendor you ordered from. You should make sure to read the FAQs about each bed on Amazon.com to figure out whether or not returns are free.
Yes, in most cases, shipping is free whether you have Amazon Prime or not, at least when it comes to mattresses. Amazon Prime will just sometimes get you faster shipping.
No! You can take advantage of any discounts and sales on Amazon mattresses without a prime membership. In most instances, you’ll also get free shipping without a membership. It just might not come as fast as two-day shipping.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team