Whether you’re short on space or can’t afford a complete bedroom setup, there are a few reasons to consider putting your mattress on the floor. It isn’t something that we recommend since it may void your mattress warranty and put you in contact with mold and bacteria. However, we understand that it may be the best option depending on your circumstances.
If you decide to purchase a floor mattress, we’d suggest buying a cheap foam bed that you won’t mind getting dirty. Alternatively, you can go with a Japanese-style bed that’s designed for floor sleeping. Learn more about these options in the following review, which includes five of our favorite floor mattresses. Please note that this guide is based on queen-sized mattresses, but these beds come in other sizes as well.
Top 5 Floor Mattresses
- Best Firm Floor Mattress :AirWeave New AirweaveStarting at $1400 Shop Now
- Best Foam Floor Mattress :Tuft Needle NodStarting at $269 Shop Now
- Best Latex Floor Mattress :Latex For LessStarting at $1299 Shop Now
- Most Affordable Floor Mattress :AmazonBasics Memory Foam MattressStarting at $146 Shop Now
- Best Multi-Purpose Floor Mattress :CouchBedStarting at $399 Shop Now
Compare the Best Floor Mattresses
Best Firm Floor Mattress
Why Airweave wins as best firm floor mattress
Airweave is a modern take on traditional Japanese-style mattresses that are designed for sleeping on the floor (in line with Japanese culture). In order to prevent the bed from collecting dirt and bacteria from the floor, Airweave is completely machine-washable — a unique perk that you won’t find with other mattresses.
Airweave’s best features
- If you’re committed to sleeping on the floor, it’s hard to beat Airweave. This machine-washable bed is specifically designed for floor sleeping, creating a firm surface that supports your posture and prevents lower back pain.
- Unlike other beds on the market, Airweave doesn’t use foam or coils in its construction. Instead, it consists of three pieces of a proprietary material called air fiber, which can be adjusted to create relief or support where you need it.
- Like a firm mattress, Airweave is best for back or stomach sleepers. If you sleep in one of these positions, you need a bed that’s a bit harder in order to provide enough support to keep your spine in alignment.
Why we picked this bed
Airweave is easy to clean, firm, and supportive — everything you’d hope to find in a floor mattress. Plus, it’s lightweight and easy to move around, which makes it convenient to put away when you aren’t using it (in line with Japanese “futon culture”).
Best Foam Floor Mattress
Why Tuft and Needle wins as best foam floor mattress
Since floor mattresses will experience more wear and tear than traditional foundation beds, you’ll probably want something that won’t break the bank — which is why the Tuft and Needle Nod is an excellent choice. It’s a simple, affordable mattress that will be comfortable enough for all sleeper styles.
Tuft and Needle’s best features
- Tuft and Needle is a budget brand, and Nod is its cheapest mattress. We think that most floor sleepers will appreciate this since you likely won’t want to put an expensive mattress directly on the ground.
- At 8″ thick, Nod features two layers of poly foam that combine to create a soft and comfortable feel. It comes with a removable cover that can protect the bed against spills and damage.
- If you share a bed with a partner or child, you should look for a mattress with good edge support and motion isolation. When we reviewed Nod, we found that it scored well in both of these categories.
Why we picked this bed
Even though Tuft and Needle Nod is a budget mattress, you get quite a bit for your money. In short, it’s accommodating and responsive with a soft foam feel that the majority of people will enjoy.
Best Latex Floor Mattress
Why Latex for Less wins as best latex floor mattress
Made with natural latex foam, the Latex for Less mattress is antimicrobial and hypoallergenic, which prevents the build-up of mildew, mold, and bacteria (this is important if you sleep on the floor). It’s also more affordable than many other latex beds on the market.
Latex for Less’s best features
- When you sleep on the ground instead of on a raised foundation, you’re more likely to come into contact with dirt and germs. Thankfully, Latex for Less has antimicrobial properties to help you stay safer and healthier while you sleep.
- Latex for Less is double-sided and flippable, giving you two different firmness options in one bed. The first side is somewhere between a medium-soft and a medium, while the other comes in at a medium-plus.
- Because of its multiple firmness options, Latex for Less can accommodate all sleeping positions. Whether you sleep on your side, stomach, back, or a combination of the three, you’ll get the support or pressure relief that you need.
Why we picked this bed
If you like to sleep on the floor, we highly recommend choosing a latex bed like Latex for Less. Not only will it be the healthiest option to prevent harmful germs from the ground, but it will also offer a comfortable, all-natural surface to lay your head at night.
Most Affordable Floor Mattress
Why AmazonBasics wins as most affordable floor mattress
It seems like Amazon sells just about anything you need these days, so it makes sense that the online retail giant has stepped into the bed-in-a-box space with its AmazonBasics mattress. As you might expect with Amazon, this bed is extremely affordable and ships for free, so you won’t feel guilty about putting it on the floor.
AmazonBasics’s best features
- We’ll keep it simple: the best feature about the AmazonBasics mattress is its price. Whichever size you choose, you won’t pay more than $300 for this bed (including shipping).
- In terms of feel and firmness, AmazonBasics is designed to appeal to a broad section of people. It has a medium firmness rating, as well as a soft, neutral-foam feel that’s hard to dislike.
- Even though it’s a budget mattress, AmazonBasics doesn’t use cheap or toxic materials. In fact, the foams are CertiPUR, and Oeko-Tex certified, meaning that they don’t contain harmful chemicals.
Why we picked this bed
Since putting your mattress on the floor typically voids the warranty, chances are you’ll want to buy a cheap bed (like AmazonBasics), so you won’t have to pay a lot to replace it if it gets ruined. But despite its low price, this bed is still reasonably comfortable and accommodating for most people.
Best Multi-Purpose Floor Mattress
Why CouchBed wins as best multi-purpose floor mattress
If you don’t have enough room for both a mattress and a sofa, the multi-purpose CouchBed is your best bet. As the name suggests, this product is a two-in-one couch and mattress that you can adjust to fit your needs. It’s surprisingly comfortable and feels quite dense, so it should hold up well over time as a floor mattress.
CouchBed’s best features
- CouchBed is a versatile piece of furniture that serves multiple purposes. We think floor sleepers will like it because it’s easy to set up and move around, and it can be used as a sofa during the day.
- Unlike the other beds on this list, CouchBed has a memory foam feel. If you’re looking for a floor mattress that contours to the shape of your body, this product is worth considering.
- It’s sold in various colors to add a bit of style to your room and blend in with your existing furniture. You can choose from several fun shades, including red, blue, charcoal, and coffee.
Why we picked this bed
We realize that some people choose to sleep on the floor because they don’t have room for a full bedroom setup (or can’t afford one). If that’s the case for you, we’d recommend CouchBed as a creative way to maximize your space.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team
Choosing A Mattress For Sleeping On The Floor
Whether you’re sleeping on the ground by choice or your current budget won’t allow for a new bed frame, there are a few things you should remember when you’re choosing the best floor mattress.
It’s okay to be cheap when it comes to buying a mattress to sleep on the floor with. Honestly, your bed will probably get pretty dirty. Not to mention, floor-sleeping voids your bed’s warranty because it encourages the growth of mold, bacteria, bugs, and other nasty things you don’t usually want inside or on your mattress.
So, it might be a waste of money if you splurge on a new mattress that’s just going to end up on the floor. Instead, buy a quality new mattress when you’re ready to pair it with a bed frame.
Hybrid beds tend to be more expensive than foam beds, and for that reason, we wouldn’t necessarily buy one just to throw it on the ground. If you weigh over 230 lbs., really want the extra support, and you can get your hands on a real cheap one, then go for it! Otherwise, we’d just opt for a cheap foam bed or a multifunctional bed/sofa.
The smaller and thinner your floor bed, the easier it will be to take with you if you tend to move often. You should also consider the amount of space you have in your room to ensure your mattress doesn’t take up too much floor space. You won’t be able to use your under-bed space as storage!
Pros And Cons Of Sleeping On The Floor
- More affordable option than your average mattress, especially if you rule out the cost of a mattress foundation.
- Easier to move around and take with you when you’re on the go.
- Not as hygienic as sleeping on a bed that’s raised off the ground. Mold, mildew, dust, and bugs are more likely to infest your floor mattress.
- Promotes stuffiness to allergy sufferers.
- Can be very cold when you’re on the floor, so you’ll have to bundle up.
A floor mattress is a mattress that’s either designed or suitable for sleeping on the ground.
We recommend a floor bed mat or a cheap foam mattress that you can easily get rid of once you save up for a new bed and frame.
Sometimes. It will usually void a warranty if you put a regular mattress on the floor instead of a bed frame. That’s because it’s more prone to mold, mildew, creepy crawlies, and dust, all of which can worsen up a mattress.