If you’re interested in achieving the best possible quality of sleep and you have a larger budget to work with, it could make sense to explore luxury mattress options. Whether you’re looking for the best luxury memory foam mattress or the best luxury firm mattress, the Slumber Yard is here to help. Below, find a list of seven of the best luxury mattress brands, with options for all sleeping positions and body types.
Top 7 Best Luxury Mattresses
- Best Luxury Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress :DreamCloud PremierStarting at $1398 Shop Now
- Best Hotel Luxury Mattress :WinkBeds ClassicStarting at $1149 Shop Now
- Most Innovative Luxury Mattress :Purple HybridStarting at $1699 Shop Now
- Most Affordable High-End Matteress :Saatva ClassicStarting at $935 Shop Now
- Best Premium Memory Foam :Loom LeafStarting at $1095 Shop Now
- Best Cooling Luxury Mattress :Brooklyn Bedding AuroraStarting at $999 Shop Now
- Best High End Custom Mattress :Helix Midnight LuxeStarting at $1199 Shop Now
Best High End Mattress List Video Review
Swipe to see why this made our list
Swipe to see why this made our list
How We Chose
Lucky for you, we’ve already done all the research. We’ve tested well over 100 of the most popular mattresses available online and methodically selected what we think are the best high-end mattresses in the world right now. Feel free to use our jump links links below if there are certain parts of this review you’d like to see most. To be clear, we did not include a price constraint when selecting this list of premium beds. We simply tried to put together what we thought are the most exceptional beds available to purchase online. We figured people looking for a luxury mattress typically aren’t too worried about price or discounts. If that describes you, great, we hope the list below is helpful. If that’s not you, check out our list of the Best Mattresses Under $1,000 for more affordable options.
Compare the Best Luxury & High-End Mattresses
Best Luxury Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress
Why DreamCloud Premier wins as best luxury memory foam mattress
The DreamCloud Premier is an upgraded version of the DreamCloud Hybrid mattress, offering a truly comfortable memory foam experience. It’s particularly good for back and stomach sleepers who enjoy a firmer bed, as well as heavier folks who need the support of an innerspring mattress. This mattress is six layers of luxury, wrapped up in a soft Cashmere-blend cover.
DreamCloud Premier’s best features
- Firmer mattress, ideal for strict back and stomach sleepers
- Comfortable memory foam without the “stuck-in-the-mud” feeling
- Reasonable price point for a luxury mattress
Why we picked this bed
Overall, the DreamBed Premier is just a well-made hybrid mattress. Its Cashmere-blend cover adds an extra touch of luxury, as do its multiple layers of responsive memory foam. Plus, DreamBed offers extra customer-friendly policies like a 365-night trial and a lifetime warranty.
Best Hotel Luxury Mattress
Why WinkBeds Classic wins as best hotel luxury mattress
WinkBed is a thick, durable hybrid mattress that includes a plush Euro pillow top. WinkBed is also a fantastic option if you’re interested in choosing your firmness level. It offers a supportive yet comfortable sleep experience that’s great for all types of sleeping positions, including back, side, and stomach sleepers. In our opinion, it’s one of the best mattresses you can purchase online and looks like it belongs inside the bedroom of a luxury hotel.
WinkBeds Classic’s best features
- Good mix of support and comfort thanks to its layer of pocketed coils and soft, airy pillow top
- Suitable for all sleepers, including side (softer model) and back/stomach (Luxury Firm or Firm model)
- Durable enough to rank as one of the best mattresses for larger people
Why we picked this bed
Not only does WinkBeds scream luxury just by looking at it, but the inside is made with extremely durable yet comfortable materials that seamlessly blend maximum support and plush, fluffy comfort. It’s also accommodating for every body type and all sleeper positions, which we really appreciate.
Most Innovative Luxury Bed
Why Purple Hybrid wins as most innovative luxury bed
Purple Hybrid is a foam and coil mattress that’s topped with a proprietary material known as Hyper-Elastic Polymer. It’s a unique type of material that’s comfortable, responsive, and great for hot sleepers. With a medium firmness level, Purple Hybrid is well-suited for all sleeping positions, but it’s particularly good for back and stomach sleepers.
Purple Hybrid’s best features
- One-of-a-kind feeling, thanks to Purple’s proprietary gel-like Hyper-Elastic Polymer
- Good option for all types of sleepers
- Unique construction allows for lots of airflow, pressure relief, and support
Why we picked this bed
The three Purple Hybrid models combine Hyper-Elastic Polymer with pocketed coils, resulting in a supportive, ultra-bouncy, buoyant mattress—it’s almost a weightless experience. Again, it’s not for everyone, but if you think Purple sounds intriguing, there’s a good chance you’ll like the bed.
Most Affordable High-End Mattress
Why Saatva Classic wins as most affordable high-end mattress
Saatva Classic is a quintessential innerspring mattress. It is available in three firmness options, and each one has supportive coils as well as a fluffy pillow top. It’s agreeable with back, side, and stomach sleepers, and we think it’s ideal for people who want a supportive innerspring bed or anyone who wants to choose how firm their bed is.
Saatva Classic’s best features
- Available in multiple firmness levels (Plush-Soft, Luxury-Firm, and Firm)
- Feels like a traditional innerspring bed even though it’s a hybrid
- Affordable price point for a luxury mattress
- Contains back-to-back coils that make the mattress extra durable and supportive.
- Available in two height options including 11.5″ and 14.5″
Why we picked this bed
For the longest time, Saatva was the luxury mattress available online. The brand was really built on the idea of providing a luxury-tier bed at a very reasonable price point. In fact, we’d deem the Saatva Mattress to be an affordable luxury mattress. We also like how they offer multiple different options including height and firmness.
Best Premium Memory Foam
Why Loom & Leaf wins as best premium memory foam
Loom & Leaf (owned by Saatva) is one of the nicest, most luxurious memory foam mattresses online. It has two firmness options, making it a good bet for people who want a firmer bed. We found that it can accommodate multiple sleeper types, including back, side, and stomach sleepers. We also like that it has a soft organic cotton cover.
Loom & Leaf’s best features
- Multiple firmness levels to choose from (Relaxed Firm and Firm)
- Includes an organic cotton cover and laminated cooling strip to help with temperature regulation (in fact, the gel is the same material found in hospital burn units!)
- Suitable for different sleeper types, including side, back, and stomach
Why we picked this bed
Loom & Leaf is generally more affordable than the high-end TempurPedic memory foam beds but provides that slow responding, pressure-relieving feel that people love about the material. It’s also more temperature relieving than your typical memory foam mattress. As such, just like Saatva, we think Loom & Leaf is a great value considering what you get.
Best Cooling Luxury Mattress
Why the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Luxe Cooling mattress wins as best cooling luxury mattress
After completing more than 150 mattress reviews, we’ve found that the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Luxe Cooling bed is one of the best cooling mattresses available online. It’s produced in the USA, comes in three firmness options, and has a cool-to-the-touch cover. Plus, it’s designed for all sleeping positions and body types (including petite and heavy folks).
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Luxe Cooling’s best features
- Cooling material is excellent for hot sleepers and people with night sweats or hot flashes
- Accommodates any sleeping position or body type
- Available in various firmness levels (Soft, Medium, and Firm)
Why we picked this bed
There’s a lot to like about the Aurora Luxe Cooling mattress by Brooklyn Bedding, but the biggest reason that you’d get this mattress is that it sleeps cool—very cool. We think it’s the best luxury mattress with cooling technology out there, or at least in the top three.
Best High End Custom Mattress
Why Helix Dawn Luxe wins as best high-end custom mattress
The Helix Dawn Luxe is an upgraded pillow top mattress from Helix Sleep. If you want a luxury mattress with a firmer profile and a good level of support, Dawn Luxe is definitely worth considering further. As an added bonus, this mixed-foam bed also delivers excellent value for the price.
Helix Dawn Luxe’s best features
- Sleep quiz matches you with one of six models to suit your particular sleeping habits
- Custom coils that are split into different zones to accommodate your entire body
- Ultra-comfortable, pillow-top feel with multiple firmness options
- Helix Luxe Dawn is best for back and stomach sleepers, but there are plenty of models for side and combination sleepers as well including Helix Luxe Sunset.
Why we picked this bed
The Helix Luxe beds are a great option for consumers who often get overwhelmed with too many options. If you’d rather just answer a few simple questions in order to be matched with the best mattress luxury type of bed, then Helix is your best bet.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team
Primary Factors When Considering An Expensive Mattress
We consider several primary factors when we test new mattresses. Here’s a bit more detail about our evaluation system.
- Terms And Conditions: The vast majority of online mattress companies offer free shipping and free returns. However, they can differ quite a bit when it comes to risk-free trial periods and warranties. It’s important to note these differences when shopping for a new luxury mattress — you don’t want to waste a large sum of money on a bed that doesn’t come with a free trial.
- Mattress Construction & Layers: Online mattresses vary greatly on the construction and materials used in production. Innerspring and hybrid mattresses contain both coils and layers of foam, while all-foam mattresses are made of just that. All mattresses have varied feels, weights, textures, etc., and each has its pros and cons to consider.
- Feel: Of course, the feel of a mattress is subjective. Each foam feels different and attracts different sleepers. Memory foam, for example, is quite soft, and it slowly conforms to and hugs the body. An innerspring mattress, though, offers a more supportive, firmer feel, which some prefer. All in all, which is best for you depends on personal preference, weight, and your sleeping position.
- Luxury Firm Mattress: In the bed-in-a-box industry, a luxury firm mattress is basically synonymous with “moderate firmness.” Usually, these beds work well for all sleeping styles unless you’re a petite sleeper, though, we think they are best for stomach and back sleepers.
- Other Firmness Levels: Firmness level is also subjective, with weight being one of the key factors in the perception of how soft or firm a mattress feels. In general, lighter-weight people will feel as though mattresses are quite firm, while heavier people may feel that they are soft. In our reviews, we provide a firmness scale ranging from soft to firm, but it’s also important to keep in mind that we rate them on the perception of an average-sized sleeper, about 175 pounds.
- Sleeper Type: How you sleep (back, stomach, or side) makes a big difference when it comes to which mattress is right for you. Generally speaking, side sleepers will want a softer mattress that provides more pressure relief, while back sleepers and stomach sleepers gravitate toward firmer mattress that provides more support.
- Temperature Regulation: It’s important that your mattress doesn’t cause you to overheat at night — you don’t want to wake up dehydrated, uncomfortable, or drenched in sweat. Instead, look for a mattress that promotes airflow and stays cool or neutral (especially if you’re a hot sleeper). In general, innerspring and hybrid beds perform better than all-foam mattresses in this regard, but more companies are offering all-foam mattresses that infuse other materials like graphite, cooling gel, and copper to help regulate temperature.
- Motion Transfer: This is an important subject for couples who share a bed. Motion transfer refers to the amount of movement the bed disperses as one person tosses and turns or gets up. The less the movement the other person notices, the better. Basically, you’ll want your mattress to deaden as much movement as possible. This will help both people get a more restful night’s sleep. All-foam beds generally deaden movement better than beds with coils, because they don’t have the same amount of bounce.
- Responsiveness: This refers to how fast the mattress pops back after releasing pressure. Look for a mattress that is on the responsive side of the spectrum, allowing you to switch sleeping positions much easier. Mattresses that are slow to respond (i.e., memory foam beds), require extra effort to switch from your side to your back or vice versa, which can make you more restless throughout the night. Slow responding beds are also more susceptible to permanent body impressions.
- Sinkage: Your bed must provide the proper support – that’s imperative. A bed that doesn’t do its job here won’t properly align your spine. Tip: If a bed sinks too far below the heavier parts of your body, that’s usually an indication of poor support.
- Edge Support: Couples, listen up. Many times, when people share a mattress, one person will end up hogging the middle of the bed and the other person is left to sleep on the edge. That’s why it’s important that the edges have structural support. Look for a mattress that does not compress much near the edge. This will prevent that “rolling off the bed” feeling, the closer you get to the edge. See our best beds for couples list if that’s what you’re looking for.
Pros and Cons of Buying a Luxury Mattress
We’ve talked about the subjectivity of mattress comfort levels, and how they depend on a variety of factors, including a number of people who will sleep on it, weight, firmness or softness scale, among others. Here are some of the pros and cons to consider when buying a luxury bed.
- Beds with higher price tags are made with premium, high-end materials. In some cases, these mattress materials can be completely organic and non-toxic.
- Avoid falling into the “cheap” trap and buying a bed that is ultra-budget. Beds are an investment, and more often than not, your luxury mattress will stand the test of time.
- Luxury mattresses often come with additional features such as cooling technology or performance-boosting fabric.
- Expense. It may seem obvious, but these beds can be quite pricey. If a luxury mattress will break the bank, you could instead look into buying a luxury mattress topper.
- Luxury may not be what you need. Just because something is billed as “luxury,” doesn’t necessarily mean it will meet your sleep needs. The more you pay is potentially irrelevant to the why behind your investment
Mattress Prices Online vs. In-Store
Mattress shopping might look a little different than it did when you last bought a new mattress, so it’s important to weigh out the benefits of buying online versus in a store. For starters, not every brand is available in store. Loom & Leaf, a Saatva brand, for one, can only be purchased online. Purple, however, can be purchased in stores and online. You’re also given many different perks if you purchase from the online market because they know you aren’t able to feel the mattress yourself in person. As such, you’ll usually be granted free shipping, free returns, a lengthy risk-free trial that’s at least 90-days long, and a warranty policy. Lastly, you have a ton of options to choose from, and options tend to be more affordable online.
There are a lot of fantastic luxury mattress brands out there, but a few of our favorites are Saatva, WinkBed, TempurPedic, Beautyrest, and Purple.
The bottom line is that you want to invest in a great bed that will serve your needs, especially since this is typically an 8-10 year investment.
Typically, the luxury mattresses out there are around $2,000-$3,000 for a queen.
Luxury firm is just another name for medium-firm.
Interestingly, you will not only get free shipping, but usually free returns as well.
The short answer is, some do and some don’t. Especially in summer and around federal holidays, mattress companies do tend to offer savings (like Saatva’s summer sale of $200 off any mattress), but not always. It’s always best to check before your purchase — our site or the brand you’re purchasing from.
Because online mattresses vary in construction and materials, thickness also varies. Innerspring and hybrid mattresses contain both coils and layers of foam, while all-foam mattresses are made of just that. All mattresses have varied feels, weights, textures, etc., and each has its pros and cons to consider. If you’re over ~230 lbs, you’ll probably want a mattress around 12” thick. For those who are more petite, you can get away with a bed around 8” or thicker.