Soft mattresses are known for their exceptional pressure relief and cloud-like comfort, and thankfully, you have a ton of different soft beds to choose from within the online mattress space. With that being said, it can be overwhelming to choose a mattress when you have so many options. With this in mind, we went ahead and made a list compiling the Slumber Yard’s top favorite plush mattresses with soft profiles.
We made sure to consider how each bed on this list will feel for different people and how comfortable each one will be for different sleeper types and body types. Of course, how well you like a mattress is incredibly subjective. We do our best to account for various preferences, but in the end, the typical online bed’s risk-free trial period is everyone’s best friend and part of the reason why online beds tend to be a solid value for the money.
The 8 Best Soft Mattresses
- Editor’s Choice :Brentwood Home OceanoStarting at $995 Shop Now
- Best Budget Soft Mattress :Tuft Needle MintStarting at $695 Shop Now
- Best Plush-Firm Mattress :WinkBeds ClassicStarting at $1049 Shop Now
- Best Medium-Soft Mattress :Brooklyn Bedding SignatureStarting at $599 Shop Now
- Softest Memory Foam Mattress :LaylaStarting at $699 Shop Now
- Best Plush Coil Mattress :Nest Bedding Alexander HybridStarting at $949 Shop Now
- Best Soft Foam Mattress :Nolah Original 10Starting at $619 Shop Now
- Best Ultra-Plush Mattress :Amerisleep AS5Starting at $1799 Shop Now
World’s Softest Mattress Video Review
Swipe to see why these made our list
Swipe to see why these made our list
Why We Chose These Mattreses
We’ve tested over 150 beds and have since become experts in the topic, making us confident in our choices for the best plush mattresses. So whether you’re a side sleeper yearning for extra pressure relief, a petite person looking for a plush bed to accommodate their size, or you suffer from joint pain, continue on to read each individual mattress review for the best soft bed.
Compare Best Soft Mattresses
Oceano is one of the most popular pillow-top mattresses online. It’s soft and fluffy yet highly supportive, thanks to the dual layers of coils.
Why Brentwood Home Oceano wins as editor’s choice
The list of things that we like about the Brentwood Oceano mattress is extensive. Still, for the most part, we love that it’s ultra-plush, soft and cuddly, it’s clearly built to a higher standard than your typical online bed, and it can manage small, medium, and heavy individuals. Even more, the Oceano mattress uses various natural materials such as natural New Zealand wool and Tencel fibers. Besides the fact that Oceano is mind-numbingly comfortable, the reason it made our list is that it’s extra supportive as well.
Brooklyn Bedding Oceano’s best features
- Rather than just use one layer of coils, the bed has two, much like Saatva, which is another bed we considered for this slot.
- Not only is it thicker, but also it’s undeniably more supportive given those two layers of coils. As such, it’s suitable for all body types.
- Even though it’s supportive, you still get a fluffy, plush mattress feel that’s also quite bouncy.
- We really appreciate that it has several safety certifications and natural materials.
Why we picked this bed
Oceano is an underrated mattress that a lot of soft-mattress-lovers will really like. Sure, there are cheaper mattresses out there, but we’d consider this one a pretty good value, particularly if you want a soft mattress that doesn’t compromise support. It’s a premium mattress that is very durable and comfortable. Our Slumber Yard member Tharon loves this bed (he sleeps on it every night), and it was a no-brainer to add it to our best plush mattress list.
Best Budget Soft Foam Mattress
The Tuft & Needle Mint is one of the best mattresses you can buy if you’re looking for a soft bed that offers ample pressure relief.
Why Tuft and Needle Mint wins best budget soft foam mattress
Tuft & Needle is a pretty well-known online mattress company. The Mint mattress is their premium bed, and it’s an all-foam mattress specially designed to offer better pressure relief. It’s also just really comfortable and feels more neutral and bouncy than memory foam.
Tuft and Needle Mint’s best features
- This is a medium-soft mattress on the firmness scale, and we think it’s super pressure relieving.
- Overall, this a great mattress for those who are looking for a super-soft, neutral-foam feel that responds quickly to pressure.
- The Mint is slightly softer and thicker than their original Tuft and Needle bed, with an extra 2” layer of foam. This makes it more durable.
- Even though Mint is Tuft & Needle’s premium mattress, the price point is very affordable after discounts are applied. The queen bed sells for ~$1,100, which is average compared to similar foam mattresses. Though, you can usually snag it for a little over $800.
Why we picked this bed
We chose to add Tuft and Needle to our best soft mattress review because it’s a slightly thicker, more durable foam mattress with a cuddly-soft profile and a price tag that is very reasonable for a plush mattress. We also know how many people are searching for feels that are different from memory foam, and Tuft and Needle Mint provides a responsive, neutral feel that’s really accommodating.
Best Plush-Firm Mattress
WinkBed is a thick, durable hybrid mattress that includes a comfortable euro pillow top. In our opinion, it’s one of the best mattresses you can purchase online.
Why WinkBed wins as best plush-firm mattress
WinkBed is one of the most well-known online mattress brands, and for good reason—they make a couple of really great mattresses. While they offer three firmness options, the “Firmer” model is in the plush firm range, meaning it offers ample support, cushioning, and firmness. It’s perhaps best for stomach and back sleepers, but if you opt for the “Softer” or “Lux. Firm” models, we believe that sleeping on your side should be no issue at all.
WinkBed’s best features
- The WinkBed Classic Mattress comes with a supportive design that makes for an ultra-comfortable and durable mattress for all body types: petite, average, and heavy.
- It has a fluffy pillow top above for plush comfort, making the top of the mattress feel light and airy.
- Pricing is on the higher end, but they regularly offer promotions and coupons to make the hotel-luxury mattress a bit more affordable. After discounts, we think this bed provides a pretty nice value.
Why we picked this bed
The point is WinkBed is a “safe” pick whether you want a medium-soft or plush firm mattress. The bed is very comfortable, supportive, and has a soft pillowy feel, which seems to please a wide variety of sleepers. It feels just as luxurious as it looks, and the price is very reasonable for what you’re getting. We really feel like it offers a great bang-for-your-buck.
Best Medium-Soft Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding Signature is one of the best mattresses for the money online. It has pocketed coils, it’s made in the USA, comes in three firmness options, and sells for far less than you’d expect.
Why Brooklyn Bedding Signature wins as best medium-soft bed
They offer multiple different firmness options to choose from and the “Soft” and “Medium” options, both on the softer end of the spectrum. The “Soft” is fairly plush, while the “Medium” is closer to a medium soft—this is their most popular model and for good reason. We also think it’s incredibly comfortable for side sleepers who favor soft, plush mattresses.
Brooklyn Bedding Signature’s best features
- It has a soft, neutral foam feel with plenty of pressure relief and a hybrid construction. This makes it accommodating and ideal for all body types.
- What’s different about BB Signature is that they use “Energex” and “TitanFlex” foam in the comfort layers, which contour to your body really well.
- This bed gives you that cuddly feeling without making you feel like you’re sinking or becoming stuck inside the bed (like memory foam).
- Ignoring design, feel, and firmness, one of the best parts of Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattresses is the price tag. You can usually get a queen size bed for under $900 with a discount.
Why we picked this bed
Brooklyn Signature is included in our best soft mattress list as the best medium-soft option, and it’s also one of our favorite online mattresses for the money. We chose it for several reasons, but perhaps most of all, it’s comfortable, affordable, and offers two different options that are ideal for side sleepers who want a plush new bed.
Softest Memory Foam Mattress
Layla is a memory foam mattress that’s flippable and features a “Soft” and “Firm” side. This makes it accommodating for a wider range of sleepers.
Why Layla wins as best memory foam mattress
Layla has a plush memory foam feel that hugs your body and contours around your curves. It’s not dense or firm like Nectar and TempurPedic. Instead, it has a fluffier memory foam feel that’s more airy and cozy. The memory foam is also copper-infused to help draw your body heat away from you.
Layla’s best features
- Layla is pretty neat because it’s flippable, so you can try out a Soft side or a Firm side and then decide which is more comfortable for you.
- The Soft side is about a medium soft and is why Layla is one of our favorite plush memory foam mattresses.
- The other side is more like a plush firm, meaning there’s still a cushion, but it’s not exactly a soft mattress. Even so, we think the “Firm” side should accommodate all sleeping styles.
- It doesn’t sleep hot like traditional memory foam beds because of its copper-infused design.
Why we picked this bed
Bottom line: there’s a lot to like about the Layla mattress if you’re into memory foam beds. It offers a two-in-one design thanks two its multiple firmness levels, one of which is very plush for side sleepers and soft-bed lovers. The firm side isn’t necessarily firm either and offers both pressure relief and support.
Best Plush Coil Mattress
Nest Alexander Hybrid is a pillow-top mattress that comes in multiple firmness options and is backed by a lifetime warranty.
Why Nest Alexander Hybrid wins as best plush coil mattress
When we think Nest Alexander, we think plush. This bed is constructed of both coils for durability and soft foam for comfort, with a soft pillowy feel that you sort of nestle into as you lay down. As a result, it accommodates all body types. We love the soft model, but it’s also available in different firmness profiles.
Nest Bedding Alexander Hybrid’s best features
- Nest Bedding offers three different firmness levels for this mattress for maximum versatility: Plush, Medium, and Luxury Firm. The Medium level is their most popular, and it’s pretty much a medium-soft mattress.
- The medium option should do a good job of accommodating most body types, but you might want to look into the luxury firm option if you have a particularly big build.
- It provides a very luxurious, plush mattress feel with a thick, fluffy pillow-top for added coziness. The cover even feels like cashmere.
- While Nest Alexander is not a cheap mattress, it is a good value if you consider construction and its lifetime warranty. For a queen size, the MSRP is about $1,600, but with a coupon code, the price comes down to about $1,300 most of the time.
Why we picked this bed
We love the plush cover, and we think sleeping on this bed will make you feel like you’re sleeping on a big, bouncy, plush pillow and. It’s absolutely amazing if you’re looking for a softer feel, but we also appreciate its multiple firmness options to accommodate a wide range of sleeping positions.
Best Soft Foam Mattress
The Nolah mattress has three layers and a soft, unique profile that is somewhere between polyfoam and memory foam. It’s built specifically for side sleepers.
Why Nolah wins as best soft foam mattress
Nolah Original 10 is one of the more popular soft mattresses within the online bedding industry. Not everyone is looking for a hefty hybrid mattress, like petite to moderately-weighted sleepers under 230 lbs, for example. If you just want a standard 10” foam bed in a box mattress that’s easy on the wallet, Nolah Original 10 is a great choice. It’s soft, responsive, and all-around a very nice foam bed.
Nolah’s best features
- It offers a comfortable neutral-foam feel with just a hint of memory foam.
- If you hate the slow responding feel of traditional memory foam, you will not get that with this mattress.
- We rated it around a medium to medium-soft on our firmness scale. Ideally, it’s best suited for side sleepers, but we think lightweight combo sleepers under ~150 lbs will also enjoy it.
- One of the best parts about this mattress is the price. A queen mattress retails for a little over $1,000, but they’re typically running discounts that bring you below $800 or $900 for a queen. It’s around the price of Tuft and Needle Mint, but this bed is slightly thinner.
Why we picked this bed
Nolah checks a lot of boxes for people who want an affordable, comfortable all-foam mattress without all the bells and whistles. We also love how they’ll donate to a charity that helps protect American wildlife every time they sell a mattress. Not to mention, their lifetime warranty really shows how confident they are about their product since that doesn’t come often with all-foam beds.
Best Ultra-Plush Mattress
AS5 is a soft memory foam mattress that offers a great deal of pressure relief and plushness.
Why AS5 wins as ultra-plush mattress
Amerisleep offers a range of different mattresses from AS1 to AS5. Their softest mattress is AS5, and we think it’s ideal for strict side sleepers or petite individuals who want an extra soft mattress that’s about as plush as you can get. As a result, we had to include it on our best plush mattress list.
AS5 Mattress’ best features
- On our scale from firm to soft, we rated it at a soft or a 10 on a numerical scale.
- It offers a dense memory foam feel with a very soft profile. You take a few moments to sink into the bed, but once you do, it’s extremely conforming and comfortable.
- It’s the only mattress in their lineup with four layers instead of three. It’s super thick for an all-foam bed, standing at 14” tall. This makes it more durable and supportive than other foam beds.
- Another special feature about AS5 is its cover which has machine wash capabilities! Most mattress covers aren’t removable or machine washable, making cleaning a drool or coffee stain much easier.
- A queen size will retail around $2,200, but they’re usually running discounts for up to 30% off. If the $2,200 queen size retail price is a little out of your budget, you can also opt for AS4, which is still soft, just a bit more affordable.
Why we picked this bed
AS5 is a very thick all-foam mattress that accommodates side sleepers, even some with heavier builds. It’s one of the more durable all-foam beds we’ve come across. We also love the washable cover, which is hard to come by in the online mattress industry. If you like memory foam and want an ultra-plush foam mattress with extra highlight features, it’s a great option.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team
- How We Select The Best Mattresses
The Slumber Yard has been around since the beginning of the bed in a box craze. Our team has personally tested over 175 mattresses so far, and we keep more than 150 beds in our office so we can compare them (and take afternoon naps).
When testing mattresses, we evaluate the following factors:
- Construction: We cut mattresses open to see what’s inside and how it’s made.
- Feel: We check if it has a stuck in the mud memory foam feel, or if it’s more of a neutral-foam or a plush pillow top, etc.
- Firmness: We have our own firmness scale and evaluate how that may vary depending on your body and sleeper type.
- Pressure relief: We test what’s the sweet spot for different body and sleeper types.
- Support and how that changes by body/sleeper type
- Edge Support: This is important for couples who share a bed. Would you roll out of the bed or can you sleep confidently close to the edges?
- Motion Isolation: We use the water glass test to see how the bed fares with motion transfer. This is another important factor for couples that don’t want to wake up one another when they move.
- Temperature Regulation: We use a temperature gun to evaluate if the bed warms up, stays neutral or actively cools while you are sleeping.
- Noise: This could be an issue in beds with coils or innerspring.
- Off-Gassing: Some beds could have a smell for a few weeks after unpacking, and we try to warn you about it.
- Company policies: We also take into account policies such as shipping, returns, trial period and warranty.
- Value: We look at a bed’s price in the context of what it offers in terms of features and quality of materials and construction.
After considering all these factors, our team picks the best beds for each category. Besides category-specific criteria, like firmness level or construction, we look for mattresses with the highest quality and that offer some unique features that make them stand out. And the last decisive factor is price and discounts, we always aim to find the best and most affordable options, since we feel it offers more value for the consumer.
What to Consider When Looking for a Soft Mattress
It’s a common misconception in the mattress-buying world that if a bed is soft, it has no support, and therefore if a bed is supportive, it must feel like a tabletop. However, that’s not entirely true. Don’t get us wrong, there is some truth behind the idea, but it’s just not as cut-and-dry as that.
There are, in fact, mattresses out there that provide support while still giving you that soft feel you’re after. So if you’re a soft bed lover with back problems, don’t despair! There’s hope (and a bed) for you.
Soft Vs. Plush
Plush Mattress — In general, we consider a plush mattress to be even softer than a soft mattress. Moreover, we often refer to a bed as soft because it’s soft to the touch, not necessarily because it’s extra pressure relieving. An example is Nectar, which is soft to the touch but is actually more dense in overall firmness. However, a perfect example of a plush mattress is Brentwood Oceano, which has a big fluffy cover that’s ultra-soft. You lay on the bed, and you sort of naturally nestle in because it’s ultra-plush.
Plush-Firm — There is a little confusion as to what a plush firm mattress is. Well, it’s basically a bed that’s on the firmer end of the spectrum but still has some cushioning. It’s not technically a soft mattress, but it does provide some pressure relief. A few beds that come to mind here are Leesa Hybrid and Saatva. These two beds are firmer but have a little give. You can think of a plush firm mattress as basically a medium-firm.
Soft Mattress — Anything that’s below a “medium” is a soft mattress. That said, you can have beds that are still soft that are in the “medium” range. A good example is Casper, which is not technically a soft mattress but feels soft to the touch.
Medium-Soft Mattress — We rate this at anything from a medium soft to a medium. These types of beds are soft overall but still provide some pushback. We have tested dozens of medium-soft mattresses, but Brooklyn Bedding Bowery Hybrid is the first to come to mind. It’s both soft to the touch and a medium soft mattress overall. Still best for people spending the night on their side, but not so soft that you are confined just to one sleep style.
Given that the foam mattress is one of the most popular style/type of beds, it makes sense that certain people are looking for a soft foam mattress. We do need to set the scene a little. There’s a difference between a medium-soft foam mattress and a truly plush option. If you want a medium-soft mattress, you’re looking at something like Brentwood Oceano, but if you want truly plush, you need something like the Muse mattress’s soft option.
Soft Memory Foam Mattress — We consider this type of bed to be pressure relieving but not so soft that you can’t sleep in various positions. The first soft memory foam mattress to come to mind is the “Firm” side of the Layla Hybrid mattress. It’s still a soft bed, but it’s not plush.
Plush Memory Foam Mattress — The easiest way to discuss a plush memory foam mattress is to focus on Layla Hybrid’s “Soft” side. This is a particularly plush mattress that you melt into. It’s really really soft, and definitely is not for everyone. The only people we think will like the “Soft” side are petite individuals that are specifically looking for maximum pressure relief.
Hybrid — A hybrid mattress is often a good option if you’re looking for something both supportive and soft. The coils in this type of bed will provide you with the support you need to keep proper alignment, while the foam, if it’s on top, can still give you a soft feeling layer to lay on.
Some foams are quite supportive, despite lacking the firmness of coils. Different types of foam have different feels and densities, so if you’re shopping for support, don’t be put off by all-foam constructions.
The way you sleep, or more specifically, the position you sleep in, plays a pretty big role in determining how soft or firm you’ll want your mattress to be. Consider the following sleep positions to help determine the best mattress for you:
- Back or Stomach Sleeper: You need your bed to provide enough and the right support around your hips and trunk area to maintain proper alignment and keep you from waking up with a sore back. Generally speaking, that means a firm mattress, not really a plush one.
- Side Sleeper: You’ll want a mattress with some give to it because you want pressure relief around your shoulder and such, or you’ll end up feeling crushed into your torso. Nobody wants a tingly, pins-and-needles arm under them when they’re trying to sleep. You shouldn’t feel like there’s space under your stomach, and you should feel as though your whole body is equally supported. You want a straight spine, which means you need to sink in a bit around your shoulders and hips.
- Combo Sleeper: If you switch positions throughout the night, you want to look for a mattress that is supportive but doesn’t necessarily have a firm feel. For example, you might like a bed with a softer, pressure-relieving top layer and support foam or coils underneath.
Not everyone will experience the same mattress in the same way. Along with your sleeping position, your body weight has a large effect on how a mattress feels. Depending on how the mattress is made, it can provide more or less support for your body type. Consider how the following body types might affect your mattress experience:
- Heavier Individuals – Heavier weights will compress a mattress, making it feel even softer than it is. If you’re around 230 lb or more, consider a hybrid mattress that includes support layers like innerspring. Also, if the mattress is too soft, it could sink too easily and feel uneven. A very soft foam mattress might not be the best option since it tends to sink with the user’s weight.
- Petite Individuals – For more petite individuals, beds tend to feel more firm. Since you’re less likely to sink into the bed, you’ll only feel the top layers. We recommend choosing medium-soft or soft mattresses so you feel supported without a mattress that’s too rigid. More petite body types may enjoy a soft foam mattress or plush memory foam mattress.
- Couples With Varying Weights – If you’re a couple with different body types and weights, it can be difficult to accommodate both. We recommend compromising with something in the middle. If you do lean one way, we suggest you cater towards the heavier partner. Generally speaking, petite people can feel comfortable on a wider range of mattresses.
We have made a few designations for the most comfortable soft mattress, but this is a subjective determination at the end of the day. What you consider to be the most comfortable mattress is likely not the same as ours. We generally regard comfort, at least in the context of this list, to be an ultra-plush mattress that’s still really supportive—a bed that almost everyone lays on and says, “wow, this is comfy.” We want to emphasize that we have several beds on this list that we think you’ll find plenty comfy, even if they aren’t plush mattresses. For example, the plush firm mattress we chose is super comfy.