Whether you have trouble hopping into a taller bed or you’re looking for a low-profile bed for your children, there are plenty of reasons to consider buying a thin mattress. Unfortunately, as plush beds have become the norm, slim mattress options can be harder to find.
At the Slumber Yard, we’ve tested hundreds of mattresses to help our readers find the perfect match for their needs. We’ve put together this list of thin mattresses to make the shopping process easier and help you find a bed that you love. In this guide, you’ll find all kinds of thin mattresses, including cheap, organic, and kid-friendly options. Keep reading to find the one that’s right for you.
Top 5 Thin Mattresses
- Best 8″ Mattress :Tuft Needle NodStarting at $269 Shop Now
- Most Affordable :AmazonBasics Memory Foam MattressStarting at $146 Shop Now
- Best for Kids :Purple KidStarting at $499 Shop Now
- Best Organic Latex Mattress :PlushBeds Botanical BlissStarting at $2699 Shop Now
- Best Value :Casper ElementStarting at $495 Shop Now
Compare the Best Thin Mattresses
Best 8″ Mattress
Why Tuft & Needle wins as best 8″ mattress
Tuft & Needle is a well-known budget bed-in-a-box brand, and its Nod mattress is one of the slimmest (and most affordable) models that the company offers. But despite its 8″ profile, this two-layer mattress is quite soft and comfortable. Simply put, Nod is accommodating enough to suit anybody that enjoys the feeling of neutral foam.
Tuft & Needle’s best features
- The top layer of Tuft & Needle Nod is fairly responsive, meaning that it bounces back quickly when pressed. As a result, you won’t feel like you’re stuck in the mattress (which is great news for combination sleepers who move around throughout the night).
- This bed is one of the cheapest mattresses that money can buy — which isn’t surprising since it’s made by a budget-friendly brand. You can usually pick up a queen-sized Nod on Amazon for less than $400.
- Nod is a fantastic choice for couples. In our review, we found that the bed did an incredible job of limiting motion to one side of the bed. It also has a good amount of edge support, so you can feel free to spread out without worrying that you’ll fall off the mattress.
Why we picked this bed
With Tuft & Needle Nod, you’re getting a comfortable and cost-effective bed from an established mattress brand. Whether you’re shopping for a thin mattress for yourself, your children, or your guest bedroom, it’s hard to beat Nod.
Why AmazonBasics wins as most affordable mattress
The AmazonBasics mattress marks the online retailer’s entry into the bed-in-a-box industry, offering a comfortable foam bed at an impressively low price. With a simple three-layer construction and a medium firmness, this bed will appeal to a majority of budget-conscious shoppers.
AmazonBasics’s best features
- The highlight of the AmazonBasics mattress is its approachable price point. For less than $300, you can order a queen-sized bed and have it delivered straight to your front door.
- Based on our first-hand research, we think that the Amazon bed will work for all sleeping positions. Whether you’re a back, stomach, or side sleeper, you should get a good night’s rest on this mattress. It’s also a good match for people who switch between positions.
- It’s a comfortable, neutral-foam bed that most people will enjoy, making it a great option for guest rooms or vacation properties. It could also work well for growing kids or college students on a budget.
Why we picked this bed
If you’re looking for a thin mattress on a budget, make sure that this AmazonBasics bed is on your list. Its neutral-foam feel provides a nice balance between comfort and support that almost everyone will like — all for a few hundred dollars or less.
Best for Kids
Why Purple wins as best for kids
It’s exciting to see a well-loved mattress brand like Purple come out with a bed just for kids. Built with Purple’s patented Hyper-Elastic Polymer and responsive comfort foam, this twin-sized mattress is designed to support little ones from their toddlerhood to their early teens.
Purple’s best features
- Like other Purple beds, this mattress includes a layer of Hyper-Elastic Polymer. This proprietary gel-like material creates a completely unique feel that’s soft and responsive. It’s also incredibly flexible, keeping your kids comfortable and supported throughout the night.
- Purple Kids comes with a removable, machine-washable cover, which makes it easy to clean up spills and accidents. The cover will also help protect the mattress for years to come, giving you more long-term value for your money.
- The materials used in the Purple Kids mattress are hypoallergenic and CertiPUR-US and Clean Air GOLD-certified, so you can rest easier knowing that your children are sleeping on a safe and healthy bed.
Why we picked this bed
Even though Purple Kids is a thin mattress, it’s well-designed and comfortable for little ones up to 115 lbs. Wrapped up in a soft cover, the layers of Hyper-Elastic Polymer and foam combine to create a cozy sleep surface to accommodate your growing kids and young teens.
Best Organic Latex Mattress
Why PlushBeds wins as best organic latex mattress
If you’re looking for a safe, non-toxic bed, you’ll probably want to look for a mattress made with latex foam — and the 9″ PlushBeds Botanical Bliss is a great option. All of the materials in this bed are organic and ethically sourced, coming together to create a plush and supportive place to rest your head.
PlushBeds’s best features
- PlushBeds uses all-natural materials that are organic, hypoallergenic, and antimicrobial, including Dunlop latex, cotton, and New Zealand wool. It’s also GreenGuard Gold certified, GOLS certified, and Forest Stewardship Council certified.
- The three layers in the 9″ mattress are removable and interchangeable, which allows you to customize the firmness level of your bed. All you have to do is rearrange the layers to make your bed slightly softer or firmer.
- In addition to the adjustable layers, the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss is sold in two firmness levels (medium and medium-firm). As a result, there’s an option for all sleeping positions, including back, stomach, and side sleepers.
Why we picked this bed
The PlushBeds Botanical Bliss is the perfect pick for anybody looking for a thin mattress that’s made with natural and organic materials. Despite the bed’s relatively thin construction, it’s quite comfortable, thanks to the cushiony latex foam that almost makes you feel like you’re floating.
Why Casper wins as best value mattress
The budget-friendly Casper Element is made by the iconic bed-in-a-box company that brought online mattress shopping to the masses. It’s designed to appeal to a wide variety of shoppers, thanks to its simple two-layer construction, neutral-foam feel, and medium-plus firmness rating.
Casper’s best features
- Whichever position you sleep in, you should feel comfortable in the Casper Element. It manages to offer enough pressure relief for side sleepers while also providing a firm enough surface to keep back and stomach sleepers’ spines aligned.
- Casper Element’s AirScape layer is perforated to allow for more airflow than your typical memory foam bed. We wouldn’t rate Casper Element as a cooling bed, but it won’t make you hot either.
- With Casper Element, you get the benefit of a big-name mattress brand at a low price. You won’t need to spend a lot, but you’ll still get Casper’s free shipping, 100-night trial, and 100-year warranty.
Why we picked this bed
Casper Element is a tried-and-tested thin mattress that most people will enjoy. We think it offers incredible value for the money, especially considering how comfortable it is and how many customer-friendly perks the company offers.
What To Consider When Buying A Thin Mattress
When you’re buying a thin mattress, you want to make sure you get your money’s worth and it’s accommodating enough for you. Here are a few considerations to take into account.
Thin mattresses aren’t the best for people over 230 lbs. because they won’t offer up as much support. That’s why we recommend looking for thin mattresses made with more durable material latex foam, because it tends to be more supportive and long-lasting. Or, opt for a thin mattress around nine or 10 inches thick.
You can always buy a mattress topper at a low cost and plop it on top of your bed to add more height. You can find mattress toppers from 1” to 4” thick!
Construction and warranty
Just because a mattress is thin, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s cheaply made. Lookout for long warranties and sleep trials on mattresses. When brands offer generous company policies, that typically means they’re confident behind their products and they were built to last.
Consider your sleeping position when you’re trying to find a thin mattress. It will help you determine which firmness level you should purchase. Side sleepers usually do well on softer mattresses, while back and stomach sleepers tend to like firmer beds.
What Is The Best Type Of Thin Mattress?
If you’re trying to get your hands on the best thin mattress and you want to look farther than the ones on our list, keep an eye out for these characteristics:
- Beds ones made with durable materials like innersprings or latex foam
- Beds made in the United States
- Beds with lengthy warranty (5+ years) and sleep trials (101 days)
- Beds from reputable brands you’ve heard of
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team
Not necessarily. Unless you’re a very petite person or you don’t intend for people to sleep on the bed often, thicker beds are better. That’s because they usually offer more support and durability than thin beds.
For petite builds and people under 150 lbs., the best mattresses are ones with foam constructions. Smaller individuals can get away with sleeping on a thinner mattress because they don’t exert as much pressure onto them.
We suggest you add a mattress topper on top of your bed to make it a bit more thicker and supportive! Whether you want to add an inch or 4″, you can find a comfy topper to do the job. And, for much cheaper than a mattress.