Image: Shutterstock/Dmytro Zinkevych
We can’t adequately repay our servicemen and servicewomen for all their sacrifice throughout their military career, but that does not stop us from trying. Military life can be taxing and dangerous, that’s why many businesses offer special military discounts and incentives.
In addition to military discounts, you can also benefit from special sales and savings throughout the year. We all know that mattress stores love to throw sales around the holidays. However, few know that there are frequent savings given throughout the year that save you big bucks. When coupled with your military discount, you can find yourself saving a tidy sum off normal retail prices.
We took a look at the industry’s leading mattress manufacturers to find the best deals and discounts for military members and their families.
This is what you need to know before you buy your next mattress.
The Best Time of the Year to Buy for Veterans
You can’t always choose when you will need a new mattress, but there is much to be gained from shopping special sales.
Some holidays are more popular than others in the mattress world. Retailers have been known to throw massive sales on holidays, but you might be surprised by which holidays provide the best savings for your new mattress.
Presidents’ Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Black Friday are all some of the best times to buy a mattress. March and April are also good times to buy because mattress stores have cleared out the majority of their inventory during the holidays and are now beginning to bring in the new year’s models. This can mean significant savings off any remaining inventory from last year.
You can still find exceptional sales during random times of the year, like sales for the best mattress in a box, for example.
Your best bet is to browse your options to see if there are any sales or additional discounts you can use toward your mattress purchase.
Mattress Manufacturer Discounts
These are the best deals you can receive on your new mattress using your military discount!
|Purple Mattress||10 percent for active, retired, veteran and reservist members and registered dependents||Online verification or military ID card||10-year warranty, 100-night trial|
|Helix Mattress||15 percent for active and veteran military and their families||VerifyPass verification||10- or 15-year warranty,100-night trial |
|Casper Mattress||20 percent for active, retired and veteran military, spouses and immediate family members||ID.me verification||10-year warranty, 100-night trial|
|Avocado Mattress||$50 discount||Chat or email request||25-year warranty|
|Nectar Sleep||15 percent for active, retired, veteran and reservist members and registered dependents||Online verification||Lifetime warranty, 365-night trial|
|Tuft & Needle||15 percent for active military and veterans||Online verification||10-year warranty, 100-night trial|
|Saavta||$225 off orders of $1,000 or more for active military and veterans||Online verification||15-year warranty, 120-night trial|
|Bear Mattress||25 percent for active military and veterans and their families||ID.me verification||10- or 20-year warranty, 100-night trial|
|Brooklyn Bedding||25 percent for active, inactive ready reserves, National Guard, retired and veterans and registered dependents||SheerID at checkout||10-year warranty, 120-night trial|
|Layla||Active and retired military||Email firstname.lastname@example.org||Lifetime warranty, 120-night trial|
Discounts at Department Stores that Sell Mattresses
You don’t have to buy directly from the manufacturer to receive a military discount.
Many big brick-and-mortar retailers also offer military discounts for your new mattress purchase. In fact, many of these household names also throw some sales around the holidays that can benefit veteran and military households.
From free premium memberships to discounts for the whole family, your military status can earn you additional discounts at retailers where you shop every day.
- Costco Wholesale: Discounted annual membership and $30 shop card
- Home Depot: Tax-exempt purchases with valid military ID
- Kohls: 15 percent at select stores with valid military ID
- Lowe’s: 10% off eligible purchases to active duty and veterans
- Overstock: Free Club O membership with ID.me
- Pottery Barn: 15 percent on in-store purchases for active and retired duty households
There are many other stores that offer discounts on a store-by-store basis, so ask before you make your purchase.
If you are looking for a new mattress in the summer or fall, wait until Veteran’s Day before you make your purchase. That is when many big-box retailers will offer special discounts, incentives, and savings for the military community.
Discounts for First Responders and More
First responders are not exempt from savings. There is no one more important in times of crisis than a first responder who is there to provide protection and security when you need it. They put their life on the line every day to keep our communities safe.
That’s why many stores honor brave professionals like police officers, firefighters and paramedics with exclusive discounts and offers.
- Purple: Purple will offer 10 percent off your purchase with your online verification.
- Overstock: First responders can receive a free Club O Gold membership, which earns you free shipping.
- BJ’s Wholesale: You can receive a free four-month Inner Circle membership and one free hour a week to shop without a membership.
- Brooklyn Bedding: Not only do first responders receive 25 percent off, but you also can receive free shipping after registering on ID.me.
- Costco: You can receive a $30 shop card when you sign up for a membership.
- Eight Sleep: Eight Sleep gives you an extra 10 percent off when you register as a first responder.
- MyBestMattress: There are many other mattress manufacturers that offer discounts for first responders.
Once you decide which mattress is best for you, there is likely a discount you can use to receive exclusive savings when you buy.
Other ways military members can save
Once you’re enjoying your new mattress, you can look to other ways to save money on your everyday purchases.
Military members and first responders can also receive exclusive savings and benefits in other areas of life:
- Veterans Benefits Administration: The Veterans Benefit Administration has countless resources for military members and families. You can find your local office, medical center or outpatient clinic to handle a variety of healthcare needs for your family.
- Coronavirus relief: COVID-19 has hit many of America’s families hard. Breadwinners have lost jobs, and children have new needs as schools closed and businesses shuttered. There are resources that may be able to help, such as Army Emergency Relief, the Air Force Aid Society, the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance and the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.
- Career and education benefits: Your military household may also be eligible for additional career and education benefits. There are specialized resources reserved exclusively for military spouses, like the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) Program and the Post 9/11 GI Bill. We have a handy Career and School Guide for Military Spouses you can use.
- The Senior Veterans Service Alliance: The Senior Veterans Service Alliance is a helpful resource for senior veterans and survivors. It can help cover the cost of things like home renovation costs, education benefits and loan guarantees.
- Military OneSource: This is the comprehensive resource center provided by the military to support its members and their families. From your taxes to your mental health, you can find smart resources that can show you new ways to save money and still take care of your family’s needs.
It is not easy serving in the U.S. military, especially during difficult times such as these.
Our military servicemen and servicewomen are the real American heroes, and we continue to honor them, giving our support and offering discounts where we can to make things a little easier on the military household.