Helix vs Purple Overview
These beds are easy to contrast, but it’s hard to pick a winner. There are some legitimate reasons to choose a Helix mattress over a Purple mattress and vice versa. While there’s a lot that goes into creating a mattress — and evaluating a mattress — this Purple vs Helix debate boils down to three major items:
- Feel — Both mattresses have a unique feel. Helix feels more like a neutral-foam mattress while Purple feels unlike anything you’ve tried before (in a good way).
- Temperature regulation — Out of the box, Purple wins when it comes to regulating heat.
- Price — Helix is more affordable by about $700 for the Queen size.
You can use thinks links to skip around our Helix vs Purple review:
Helix vs Purple Mattress Video
Helix Mattress Review
Helix has one big sell that few other brands have — it has a bed for everyone.
Helix has 15 mattress models, but you won’t need to know the difference between them or anything about them. Helix does all of the heavy lifting with its Sleep Quiz.
Helix Mattress Construction And Design
The construction of your Helix Mattress will depend on the Helix Mattress you choose, but they all have similar hybrid constructions and feel like soft neutral-foam. Here is the construction of their most popular model, Midnight:
- Foundation layer — About 1” of dense polyfoam to support the pocketed coil layer
- Support layer — Next is 8” of pocketed coils meant to help with motion isolation, and it will provide the bulk of the mattress’ support
- Transition layer — About 1” of polyurethane foam to act as a neutral feeling transition between the firm, supportive coils and comfy foam layer
- Comfort layer — About 2” of “Memory Plus” foam for pressure relieving comfort
Feel And Firmness
Because Helix has 15 mattress models, the feel will differ from mattress to mattress. They all have a traditional softer neutral-foam feel, but there’s no overwhelming memory foam sensation, and they don’t feel like a mattress with a pillow top.
Helix makes several mattresses at each firmness level.
Is Helix A Good Mattress For Couples?
If both people like the feel of the bed, the next things to consider are edge support and motion isolation.
The edge support on every Helix mattress will be fine for couples.
Helix beds do well with motion isolation so you’re less likely to feel your partner moving around on the bed as much.
Helix Company Policies
- Shipping — Helix Birch has free shipping.
- Trial period —You’ll get a 100-night trial period.
- Warranty —The six core beds from Helix beds have a 10-year warranty.
Purple Mattress Review
For all of the mattresses available, nothing feels quite like the Purple Hybrid. It’s new and unique.
Purple Hybrid Construction And Design
The Purple Hybrid mattress features the company’s proprietary top layer, Hyper-Elastic Polymer. It’s a gel-like material that is a breakthrough in bedding technology. It provides both pressure relief and support.
Because the Hyper-Elastic Polymer material is laid out in a grid format, it has little surface area and allows for plenty of airflow, which can help keep you cool. If you sleep hot at night, the Purple Hybrid is going to be one of your best options. However, it is not cool to the touch — it just doesn’t retain heat as much as a memory foam mattress.
Purple 2 Hybrid’s layers are the following:
- Foundation layer — Like Helix, Purple Hybrid starts off with a thin 1” layer of poly foam to act as a foundation for the pocketed coils.
- Base layer — 7.5” of responsive pocketed coils for maximum support and better motion isolating capabilities than traditional innerspring.
- Transition layer — ½” layer of polyurethane foam to act as a neutralizer for the harsh feel of the individually encased coils below.
- Comfort layer — 2” Purple Grid which behaves like silicone or gel and it simultaneously provides a balance between support, and soft pressure relief.
The top layer will differ in thickness depending on the Purple Hybrid mattress you settle on Purple 3.0 Premier, for example, will have a 3” thick Purple Grid.
Purple Hybrid Feel And Firmness
You can feel yourself displacing and pushing the material in the mattress around, which some people like and others don’t. It’s also highly responsive, which makes switching sleeping positions effortless.
We haven’t seen anything like this in terms of responsiveness. It’s somehow pressure relieving, supportive and responsive at the same time. You can read more about Hyper-Elastic Polymer on Purple’s website.
Above, you can see the firmness levels of each Purple Hybrid Mattress. They each lean towards the firm end of the spectrum, and come in somewhere between medium and medium-firm.
Is Purple A Good Mattress For Couples?
You won’t have a problem with the edge support on Purple.
Motion transfer on Purple isn’t going to be much of a problem.
Purple Company Policies
- Shipping — Purple Hybrid has free white-glove delivery.
- Trial period — You get 100 days.
- .Warranty — Purple has a 10-year warranty.
Purple vs Helix Pricing
While both Helix and Purple have promotions, Helix makes the more affordable bed. And Helix offers a 25-year warranty on their mattresses, while Purple offers a 10-year warranty on its mattress, making your money potentially go further. For a queen size mattress, Helix is about $1,000 pre-discount. The original Purple is about the same give or take $100, but Purple almost never offers mattress coupons.
|Size||Helix Midnight||Purple Hybrid|
If you consider one of the Purple Hybrid beds, the price difference with Helix is quite large. Suffice it to say that Helix is the more affordable option and, therefore, if you’re choosing purely based on price, Helix is the clear winner.
Purple vs Helix Sleeper Analysis
Mattresses will feel different to everyone based on preferences, weight and sleeping position With these mattresses, there are plenty of options for everyone because both companies make multiple models.
The Original Purple mattress is suitable for all sleeping positions as long as you’re under 225 lb. The base Purple Hybrid is designed more for back and stomach sleepers. The Purple Hybrid Premier 3 works for all sleepers, as does the Purple Hybrid Premier 4.
For Helix, just use the Sleep Quiz on its website to find the right mattress for your dominant sleeping position. The two softer mattresses (Sunset and Moonlight) are meant mostly for side sleepers. The two medium beds (Midnight and Dusk) can handle all sleeping positions. And the two firm models (Twilight and Dawn) are designed for back and/or stomach sleepers in particular.
All Helix mattresses have coils, which tend to be better over the long run for handling heavier folks (250 lb or more). They even make a specific model called Plus, which is a mattress for heavy and obese sleepers.
The Purple Hybrid mattresses are also hybrid/innerspring mattresses that are built to handle heavier folks. The only beds we can’t recommend for heavier people are the softer Helix models and the original Purple mattress.
Purple vs Helix Review Verdict
Both Purple and Helix have strengths and weaknesses, but the variety of options from both make it easier for almost everyone to find an option they like. We suggest looking at your budget, sleeping position, and how you feel about Purple’s unique feel to make your decision.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.