Nectar vs Tuft And Needle Mattress
A helpful comparison on two affordable bed in a box mattresses: Nectar and Tuft & Needle!
Last Updated: October 6, 2020Jeff Rizzo
Nectar and Tuft & Needle are both popular mattresses within the online mattress space, but they have a few different characteristics that’ll probably sway you towards one bed or the other. In this post we’ll go over everything from price, firmness, feel, construction, body type, sleeper type, and more so you can get a grip on deciding which bed is right for you.
Nectar vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Overview
In the comparison of the Nectar mattress vs. Tuft & Needle, the primary differences include:
- Price — Before sales or promotions, Nectar retails for around $1,100 and Tuft & Needle retails for about $600 (based on queen sizes).
- Feel and construction — Nectar features memory foam, while Tuft & Needle is made of soft neutral foam.
- Company policies — Nectar has a longer warranty and trial period.
Jump-To Links For This Comparison:
Nectar Vs Tuft & Needle Mattress Review Video
Nectar Mattress Review
If you’re a memory foam lover, we think you might like Nectar. It’s an affordable mattress for the quality of its memory foam, and we like to compare the feel to TempurPedic. It’s viscous, dense, but comes without the luxury mattress price tag.
Nectar Mattress Ratings
- BBB rating: While it is not officially recognized, Nectar gets a one-star rating from the Better Business Bureau based on 157 customer reviews.
- Amazon reviews: 0 stars. There have been no customer rankings for any size of the Nectar mattress.
Other Nectar Products
- Bed frame
- Mattress protector
- Weighted blanket
Nectar Mattress Construction And Materials
A Nectar mattress is about 11” thick, which is the average size of most bed-in-a-box mattresses made only with foam. To give our readers a better view of what’s inside Nectar, we cut through its casing.
Nectar’s Gel Foam Layers:
- Comfort layer – Gel memory foam quilted into the mattress’s cover
- Comfort layer – Gel memory foam for comfort and pressure relief
- Transition layer – “Adaptive Response Transition Layer” or dense memory foam
- Base layer – Foundation made of a thick layer of support foam
Nectar Feel And Firmness
Due to the two layers of memory foam at the top of a Nectar mattress, it has a dense memory foam feel, in which you become nestled inside the foam once you lay down.
But you don’t immediately sink into the mattress. It takes about 4-6 seconds for the mattress to soften from your body heat and, not only pull you in but also mold you to the curves of your body.
Nectar ranks between a medium and medium-firm feel.
Nectar Mattress Sleeper Type Analysis
Nectar is a perfectly suitable mattress for most sleeper types
, because it’s firm enough to keep back and stomach sleepers’ spines aligned , but soft enough that side sleepers won’t wake up with pins and needles in their arms.
For side sleepers, Nectar provides pressure relief by cradling your hips and shoulders. For back and stomach sleepers, Nectar provides enough support under your lower back, trunk and hips.
Nectar Is Best For Petite And Average Sleepers
Nectar is best for people of petite and average weight, around 230 lbs or less.
People who weigh more than 250 pounds may prefer a hybrid mattress (a bed with foam and coils) that’s more durable and provides bi-directional resistance.
Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
Tuft & Needle is a universally comfortable mattress with a price tag almost no one can scoff at. We think price-conscious folks and people who want a soft and comfortable mattress without all the extra bells and whistles will like this mattress.
Tuft & Needle Mattress Ratings
- BBB rating: A+. Tuft & Needle gets a five-star rating from the Better Business Bureau based on 215 customer reviews.
- Amazon reviews: 4 ½ stars. With 10,506 customer rankings for the queen-size mattress, 69% were rated with five stars.
Other Tuft & Needle Products
Tuft & Needle Construction And Materials
Tuft & Needle has a simple construction made of only two layers of foam. It’s also only 10” thick.
Tuft & Needle Adaptive Foam Layers:
- Comfort layer – T&N Adaptive Foam, a proprietary foam infused with graphite to allow for better temperature regulation.
- Base layer – Dense polyurethane foam (neutral foam) that provides the mattress’s base.
Tuft & Needle Feel And Firmness
With its combination of neutral poly foam and T&N Adaptive Foam, the Tuft & Needle mattress feels soft and fluffy. It’s just an overall comfortable mattress.
It lands as a medium on our softness to firmness scale. It fits in the sweet spot between soft and relieving, while also being supportive.
Tuft & Needle Sleeper Type Analysis
The Tuft & Needle mattress is soft enough to give side sleepers nice pressure relief, but also firm enough to give back and stomach sleepers the proper support they need. We think it works for all sleeper positions!
The T&N Bed Is Best For Petite And Lean Sleepers
The Tuft & Needle mattress will provide both comfort and support for petite and lean sleepers. However, people weighing more than ~230 pounds may not get the amount of support they need and may be best served with a hybrid or innerspring mattress.
Nectar vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Pricing
When it comes to mattresses, you can either go with a budget-tier mattress, luxury mattress or somewhere in the middle. Tuft & Needle is definitely in the budget-tier, while Nectar is an example of a mattress that straddles the budget and average tiers. Here’s a pricing breakdown for queen size beds in the comparison of Tuft & Needle vs. Nectar:
|Size||Nectar||Tuft & Needle|
*Listed price before sales or promotions.
Nectar vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review Verdict
Here are the main questions you need to ask before you decide on one or the other:
- Are you a fan of memory foam? We think you’ll like Nectar. If you want a general, soft-foam feel, that’s Tuft & Needle.
- Are you a price-conscious buyer? Tuft & Needle is the more affordable option between the two.
- Do you want the option of a longer trial period or warranty? Nectar offers a generously long trial period and warranty policy.
- Are you an extra petite side sleeper? We think you might enjoy Tuft & Needle a little more than Nectar.
Nectar Lush vs. Tuft & Needle Comparison
Nectar also offers another memory foam bed. The Nectar Lush is the next step up from the Original Nectar mattress. It has a lofty feel with dual-action cooling.
Tuft & Needle Hybrid vs. Nectar
In addition to the flagship all-foam mattress, Tuft & Needle also offers a hybrid model. Below is a quick video that runs you through how the Tuft & Needle Hybrid compares to the Nectar memory foam mattress.
Tuft & Needle Mint vs. Nectar
Tuft & Needle Mint has a neutral feel, but it is a soft mattress. Our team rates it a medium-soft, so it is the better option for strict side sleepers. Here’s a video we produced that specifically discusses Nectar vs. Tuft & Needle Mint.
The story between T&N Mint and Nectar comes down to feel and firmness. Do you prefer a softer feel or one that’s slightly firmer? Do you want a neutral foam feel or a memory foam feel? Those questions will help you decide which is a better fit for you.
Shipping, Returns, Trial Periods And Warranties
The online mattress industry has fairly standard policies for shipping, returns, trial periods and warranties. Here are the details for these two brands:
- Shipping: Both companies offer free shipping
- Returns: Returns with Nectar can be requested after 30 days but before 365 days. A third-party service removes the mattress. Tuft & Needle also uses a third-party return service
- Trial period length: Tuft & Needle offers 100 nights, while Nectar offers a full year.
- Warranty policy: Nectar offers a forever warranty for as long as you own the mattress. Tuft & Needle has a 10-year warranty.
We purchased this mattress via Amazon with our own funds. In fact, in a one-year span, we actually purchased two Tuft & Needle mattresses so we could test them, review them and share our thoughts with the public. Tuft & Needle also sent us a twin size mattress for our initial tests in June 2017, however, they did not pay us to write or say good or bad things about their bed. Our reviews are produced independently by our full-time staff members.
Truthfully, we don’t really know much about why Serta Simmons bought Tuft & Needle or what they plan to do with the brand. Our best guess is that the company will continue to operate as usual, only Serta Simmons will take over manufacturing since that is one of their core competencies. If anything, we actually see the acquisition as a good thing since it means Tuft & Needle isn’t going anywhere for a long time. There’s a chance we might see new T&N branded mattresses and other products, but for the most part, it’s probably going to be business as usual for Tuft & Needle and Serta Simmons.
Tuft & Needle is compatible with any solid surface that has next to no flex, such as slatted frames and box springs. They even say the bed is compatible with adjustable bed frames, although we didn’t put this to the test.
Tuft & Needle has plenty of other products in addition to their two mattresses. They have sheet sets, duvets, blanket, a mattress protector, a mattress topper and a pillow. Even more, they have an entire furniture section on their website, where they sell bed frames and mattress foundations. We were surprised to see that they don’t offer an adjustable bed frame.
Yes. It’s a comfortable foam mattress that’s highly affordable.
Tuft & Needle is made of two layers of foam and measures 10″ thick.
It’s made in the United States, which is pretty amazing considering it sells for well under $1,000.
The entire T&N mattress has the UL GREENGUARD Gold Certification, which means it helps to create a healthier indoor environment, among other things. Additionally, the foams are CertiPUR-US certified, which means they’re made without o-zone depleters and certain harmful metals. The cover of the mattress is certified by OEKO-TEX and, therefore, does not contain any harmful chemicals.
The Original Tuft & Needle mattress does not, however, the company does sell Tuft & Needle Hybrid, which is a coil mattress.
For both Nectar and Tuft & Needle, there is no charge for shipping within the continental United States.
Both companies offer financing.
If you have enough space in your bedroom, most couples prefer King or California King beds to give each person enough space.