|$795 – $1,350||Price Range||$699 – $1,199|
|$300 Off + Gift Discount In Cart||Offer||$160 Off + Gift Code: RIZSLUMBER|
|101 Nights||Trial Period||120 Nights|
|Free Shipping and Returns||Shipping Options||Free Shipping and Returns|
|Shop Now||Shop Now|
Bed-in-a-box mattress manufacturers Puffy and Layla were both established in the last five years, and each company has built a strong customer base in that time. They’ve also attracted media attention, with Puffy being featured on The Ellen Show and Layla making best-mattress lists in People, Forbes and Good Housekeeping.
Both Puffy and Layla sell several mattress models at similar price points. In this review, we’ll look at each company’s flagship mattress, evaluating feel, firmness, price and other factors.
Key Highlights For Puffy vs. Layla
- Feel: Puffy feels like a soft foam blend, while Layla has a light and airy memory foam feel.
- Firmness: Puffy is a medium. Layla is flippable, so it has two firmness levels: medium-soft and medium/medium-firm.
- Layers: Both mattresses are 10” thick, but Puffy has three layers and Layla has four.
Puffy Mattress Review
Puffy is a popular mattress for lots of reasons. See how it’s construction and other features make it a winner for many.
Puffy Mattress Construction And Materials
A Puffy mattress is 10” thick
, and constructed with three layers of different foam materials:
- Bottom Layer: 6” dense support foam that acts as the beds primary support system
- Middle layer: 2” Climate Comfort Foam to provide a softer transition in between the dense support layer, and comfy top layer
- Top layer: 2” Cooling Cloud Foam for responsive comfort
The top and middle layers are made with proprietary Puffy foam. Specifically, the top one is gel-infused visco polyurethane foam, which is produced using Puffy’s Variable Pressure Foaming (VPF) process. We know that’s a lot of mattress jargon, so in simple terms, it was made in an environmentally friendly manner in a closed chamber.
Puffy’s mattress cover is removable, machine washable and stain resistant.
Puffy Mattress Feel And Firmness
We think Puffy feels like a soft foam blend. The top layer mimics some characteristics of memory foam, but it feels much lighter than typical dense memory foam.
On our scale from soft to firm, we rated Puffy a medium. If you think about it, it makes sense for Puffy to create a bed that’s a medium on our firmness scale—they want to please as many people as possible.
Puffy Sleeper Type Analysis
No matter how you sleep, you’ll probably like the feel of Puffy. It’s not too firm, so side sleepers will get pressure relief, and it’s not too soft for back or stomach sleepers. We also think it’s a good choice for combination sleepers, because our team found it was pretty responsive and easy to switch from one position to the other.
Best For Petite And Medium-Sized Sleepers
Because Puffy is an all foam mattress, we recommend it more for petite to medium sized individuals. We usually suggest folks 250+ lbs look into hybrid mattresses (beds with both foam and coils) because they are generally accepted to be more durable, supportive, and long-lasting. With that said, check out our post on the best beds for heavy people.
Other Puffy Products
Puffy Mattress Ratings
- BBB Rating: Puffy received a B rating from the Better Business Bureau
- Amazon Reviews: Puffy is not available on Amazon
Layla Mattress Review
Layla has several things about it that makes it a winner. If you want a flippable option, Layla is where to go.
Layla Construction And Materials
There are over 100 bed-in-a-box mattress brands on the market, but there are only a few flippable ones out there. Layla is one of them.
A flippable mattress means you have the ability to turn the bed over to the other side, and get a whole new sleeping experience with a different firmness level.
Like Puffy, Layla is also 10”, but it’s constructed with four layers instead of three:
- Bottom layer: 1” copper-infused memory foam and acts as the comfort layer on the firm side
- Middle layer: 4.5” polyurethane (neutral) foam
- Middle layer: 2” convoluted neutral foam
- Top layer: 3” copper-infused memory foam, and it’s the comfort layer for the soft side
Layla’s proprietary copper-infused foam is meant to sleep a little cooler than traditional memory foam, since the copper has temperature-regulating properties. As you could probably guess, this makes up the softer side of a Layla mattress.
Layla Feel And Firmness
Layla is flippable and has a soft side (grey) and a more firm side (black). Regardless of which side you’re on, however, you’ll get a memory foam feel (soft memory foam on the softer side). We think it feels light and airy, but it still nestles to the curves of your body like memory foam is known to do. We picked Layla for our list of the Most Comfortable Mattresses.
On our scale from soft to firm, we rated their Soft model a medium-soft and their Firm model in between medium and medium-firm.
Layla Sleeper Type Analysis
All sleeper types will be accommodated on Layla. Especially since you’re one mattress flip away from a different firmness level.
The firm side is more responsive to pressure than the soft, so if you’re a heavy combo sleeper, you may want to stick with the firm side because it’ll be easier for you to switch positions at night. If you’re a petite to medium sized combo sleeper, you won’t sink into the mattress as much, so you shouldn’t have an issue switching positions.
Best for Petite And Medium-Sized Sleepers
Like Puffy, Layla is an all-foam bed, which means that it works best for small and medium-sized folks. If you’re heavier than 230 pounds, we recommend looking at hybrid mattresses for better support and durability.
Other Layla Products
Layla Mattress Ratings
- BBB Rating: Layla received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau
- Amazon Reviews: Layla has 70+ ratings on Amazon, with an average rating of 4.3 stars. Customers think Layla is comfortable, with some reviewers saying that it improved their back pain.
Puffy vs. Layla Pricing
In this case, we don’t think the price difference between Puffy and Layla will be a huge factor in your decision. We say that because Puffy’s retail price is slightly higher, but after discounts (which Puffy and Layla are pretty generous with), they come out to be about the same price.
|King / Cal King||$1,350||$1,199|
Puffy Vs Layla Mattress Review Verdict
Puffy and Layla are two great choices for people looking for an affordable but accommodating bed-in-a-box mattress. If you got a little lost in all this information and you still can’t decide which mattress to go with, consider these points:
- Do you want a mattress with a more prominent memory foam feel? Take a look at Layla.
- Do you want a bed with a machine washable cover? Puffy has a machine washable and stain-resistant cover.
- Would you like your mattress to come with two firmness levels? Layla is flippable, and you can switch between medium-soft or medium/medium-firm.
- Would you rather purchase a product endorsed by a celebrity? Ellen backs Puffy, and even featured them on the Ellen Show.
Puffy vs. Layla Company Policies
- Trial period length: Layla’s free-trial period is 120 nights, which is slightly longer than Puffy’s 101-night trial.
- Warranty policy: Both Puffy and Layla offer lifetime warranties on their mattresses, which is a huge plus.
- Delivery information: Similarly, both companies provide free shipping and returns. Your Puffy or Layla mattress will arrive compressed into a box, but they’ll have someone pick it up if you decide to return it.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team