|$795 – $1,350||Price Range||$1,445 – $1,995|
|$300 Off + Gift Discount In Cart||Offer||$300 Off + Gift Discount In Cart|
|101 Nights||Trial Period||101 Nights|
|Free Shipping and Returns||Shipping Options||Free Shipping and Returns|
|Shop Now||Shop Now|
Puffy vs Puffy Lux Comparison Overview
Puffy is one of the top ten major bed in a box mattress brands and has even been featured on the Ellen Show a few years back. We’ve tested all of their mattresses and wanted to give our readers a better feel for the differences between the upgraded foam model Lux vs Puffy, the flagship mattress from Puffy.
Let’s dissect the major highlights and stand-out features between these Puffy foam beds — Lux vs Puffy.
- Construction and Layers – The Puffy Lux (as the name implies) is the more premium model between the two. It contains an extra layer of foam, which makes the bed 2” thicker than the Original Puffy mattress.
- Feel – Although the two beds have similar constructions, the Puffy Lux has a soft, airy memory foam feel, while the Original Puffy mattress has more of a soft, neutral-foam feel.
- Firmness – In our opinion about Lux vs. Puffy Original, the Puffy Lux is slightly softer than the Original Puffy mattress. As such, it’s the more ideal choice for primary side sleepers.
- Price – The Original Puffy mattress is cheaper than the Puffy Lux. You’re looking at about a $600-$800 difference, depending on the size you select.
Puffy recently introduced another premium foam mattress to its lineup called the Puffy Royal. Here’s a short video outlining how the Original Puffy and Puffy Lux mattresses compare to the new Puffy Royal mattress. In the video, Owen covers all the major differences between the three beds so you can figure out which one is best for you.
Puffy vs Puffy Lux Comparison Video
There is a lot more information you’ll want to absorb before making a final decision. Keep reading to learn more about each mattress.
Puffy Mattress Review
The Original Puffy mattress is what started it all for the company. This model was even featured on The Ellen Show. Here’s how it compares to the Lux model.
Puffy Mattress Construction
The Puffy mattress is an all-foam bed comprised of three separate layers.
- Base layer – the bottom is made up of a 6″ layer of dense support foam, which serves as the foundation for the mattress.
- Transition layer – in the middle is a 2″ layer of Climate Comfort Foam. This is a proprietary foam that is slightly softer than the support layer. It’s there to act as a transition in the bed.
- Comfort layer – finally, for the comfort layer on top, the bed uses 2″ of Cooling Cloud Foam, which again is a special name for a proprietary foam.
The top layer shares certain characteristics with memory foam, however, as you will find out below, we wouldn’t consider the Puffy mattress to be a pure memory foam bed.
Puffy’s Firmness And Feel
This isn’t a bad thing by any means. A lot of consumers prefer beds that have more of a neutral feel to them. All this means is that the top layers don’t conform or contour to your body’s shape as much as the top layers on memory foam beds like Nectar or Layla, for example. At the end of the day, we’d say the Original Puffy mattress has a comfortable, neutral-foam feel but with a hint of memory foam thanks to its thin top layer.
As you will find out later, the Puffy Lux has more of a traditional memory foam feel, although it is unique in its own right.
After testing the Original Puffy mattress, we think it lands around a medium on the firmness scale. It’s not too soft, but it’s not particularly firm either.
Overview Of Puffy Company Policies
Puffy, like the majority of online mattress companies, makes it easy and enticing for customers to purchase its products.
- Both of the mattresses come with free shipping via FedEx and will arrive at your door compressed and rolled up in a manageable-to-move box.
- Once your Puffy mattress arrives, the company gives you 101 nights to test out the bed risk-free.
- If you do decide to keep the bed, it comes backed by a lifetime warranty. This is unusual in the online bedding industry. Most companies offer a 10-year warranty.
Puffy Lux Mattress Review
As you might imagine given its title, the Puffy Lux is the company’s premium mattress offering. Here’s how it compares to the Original Puffy model.
Puffy Lux Construction
The Puffy Lux mattress contains similar materials to that of the Original Puffy mattress, however, it does vary slightly. To be specific, the Puffy Lux mattress is 12″ thick and comprised of four foam layers (as opposed to three).
- Base layer – the Puffy Lux uses the same dense support foam as the original model, except it’s an inch thicker
- Transition layer – next, the Lux follows the lead of the Original Puffy by using 2″ of Climate Comfort Foam for its primary transition layer.
- Comfort layer – now, here is where things to really start to differ. On top of the transition foam is a 1.5″ layer of Dual Cloud Foam. This layer is exclusive to the Puffy Lux mattress. The company states this layer is there to conform to your body’s curves and provide deep pressure relief.
- Comfort layer – on top is a 1.5″ layer of Cooling Cloud Foam, which we’ve already discussed above.
Wrapping the Puffy Lux mattress, like the flagship, is a comfortable machine washable cover that makes it super easy to give your mattress cleaning.
Firmness And Feel Of Puffy Lux
As we mentioned above, the top layer on both Puffy mattresses is comparable to memory foam in terms of feel and functionality. With the Puffy Lux, the secondary comfort layer is similar to that of memory foam as well, which is why we say the Lux has more of a true memory foam feel compared to the original model.
However, the two layers combined give the bed more of what we consider to be a light, airy memory foam feel. The top layers just don’t feel as dense as, say, the top layers on the Loom & Leaf mattress, for example.
Comparing Puffy vs. Lux, our opinion is that the Puffy Lux mattress is slightly softer than the original model thanks to the additional top comfort layer. We think it lands in-between a medium-soft and medium on the firmness scale.
Our team found this type of memory foam feel extremely comfortable. The Puffy Lux is one of those beds you can’t wait to plop down on after a long day on your feet.
Puffy vs Puffy Lux Mattress Pricing
In a Lux vs. Puffy Original comparison, the Original Puffy mattress is more affordable than the Puffy Lux. Comparing the MSRP for a queen size, you’re looking at about $1,150 for the Original Puffy and $1,800 for the Lux model.
|Size||Puffy Original||Puffy Lux|
However, don’t let the numbers above scare you off. Puffy is one of the most aggressive online mattress companies when it comes to deals, discounts and coupon codes. You can almost always expect to receive a $250-$300 discount on your purchase. You might want to check Puffy.com to see what promotion the company is currently offering.
Puffy Lux vs Puffy Sleeper Type Analysis
We think the flagship Puffy mattress will work for all types of sleepers. It doesn’t matter whether you primarily sleep on your back, stomach or side throughout the night.
- Back And Stomach Sleepers
Back and stomach sleepers will find the original Puffy Mattress properly supports the area under their lower back and trunk, and keeps the spine in proper alignment. Puffy Lux, however, is too soft of a bed for most side sleepers.
- Side Sleepers
Likewise, side sleepers will find the Cooling Cloud Foam top layer on a Puffy Mattress extremely accommodating. Though, Given the Lux is a little more plush, we think it’s the best mattress for side sleepers. At the end of the day, the top two layers on the Lux mattress provide a little more pressure relief than the 2″ comfort layer on the Original Puffy mattress.
- Heavy Individuals
We don’t think either Puffy bed is necessarily the best option for heavy people because of the all-foam constructions of each mattress. Generally speaking, we typically recommend larger size folks stick with hybrid and innerspring beds given coils tend to be more durable and supportive than all-foam foundations. If you weigh over 250 pounds, you might want to check out our list of the Best Beds For Heavy People.
Puffy Lux vs. Puffy Original Review Verdict
The two beds are similar in a lot of respects, but in our eyes, the decision boils down to three main factors:
Budget – If you’re on a tight budget, the Original Puffy mattress is no question the way to go. You’ll likely save about $700 going with the OG model.
Feel – This is a personal preference decision. If you like the feel of memory foam, Puffy Lux is the clear choice. If you’re indifferent or you’re not a fan of memory foam, the Original Puffy is the better option since it has more of what we consider to be a neutral-foam feel.
Side Sleepers – If you spend the majority of the night on your side, you’ll appreciate the Puffy Lux a little more given it’s slightly softer than the Original Puffy mattress.
That’s it for this comparison. Hopefully we cleared up any confusion regarding the two Puffy mattresses.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team