Puffy vs Nectar Mattress Comparison
It's a bed-in-a-box showdown - see who wins in the debate between Nectar vs. Puffy.
Last Updated: November 11, 2020Jeff Rizzo
If you’re shopping for a mattress-in-a-box, you’ve probably heard of Puffy and Nectar. Both companies hit the market in 2016, and they’ve been selling high-quality mattresses ever since. Puffy and Nectar are known for their affordable mattresses and lifetime warranties. However, there are some differences between these companies and the mattresses they sell. We’ll get into the details to help you determine whether Puffy vs. Nectar is right for you.
Puffy Mattress vs. Nectar Mattress Comparison Overview
These mattresses are both as comfortable and welcoming as they sound, but unless you have multiple rooms to switch mattresses regularly, you’ll have to pick Nectar or Puffy. To make it easier, we’ve compiled a thorough guide to Nectar vs Puffy, including a mattress firmness comparison. Here are the highlights of the differences:
- Feel — The Puffy mattress has a neutral-foam feel, while the Nectar mattress has more of a pure memory foam feel.
- Firmness — The Nectar mattress is a notch or two firmer than the Puffy.
- Price — Nectar is more affordable than Puffy.
- Special cover – The Puffy mattress uses a cover that is both stain-resistant and machine washable.
If you’re curious about any specific things with Puffy mattress vs Nectar, you can use the links below to skip to specific sections of the review:
Puffy vs Nectar Review Video
Puffy Mattress Review
If you think “puffy” is a good word to describe a mattress, you’re not wrong. This mattress gained popularity so quickly that it was even featured on the Ellen show, and it’s just as comfortable as the name implies.
Puffy Construction And Design
The Puffy mattress is an all-foam bed with three layers:
- Support layer — First is a layer of dense support foam.
- Transition layer — Next is a transition layer that helps neutralize the harder support foam beneath.
- Comfort layer — For the top comfort layer, the company uses a special proprietary foam called Cooling Cloud Foam. It’s a light, airy memory foam feel.
Because the top layer is only 2″ thick and not memory foam, we wouldn’t consider Puffy to be a true memory foam mattress. Instead, we’d say the bed has more of a neutral-foam feel, meaning the top layers don’t conform to your body as much as the Nectar mattress. The Puffy mattress has a comfortable, soft foam feel with a hint of memory foam.
The cover is removable, stain-resistant and machine washable. Most bed-in-a-box mattress covers are removable, but the vast majority of them are not stained resistant and washable.
Puffy Feel And Firmness
Overall, we think the Puffy mattress comes in around a medium on the firmness scale. The bed strikes a nice balance between comfort and support.
Is Puffy Good For Couples?
If you share a bed with someone, you’ll want to pay attention to motion isolation, edge support and temperature regulation to make sure you both feel rested.
Puffy offers enough motion isolation that you shouldn’t be disturbed by the movements of your partner.
With Puffy, you’re not going to feel like you will fall off the mattress, even if you sleep on the edge.
Puffy sleeps temperature neutral. It shouldn’t heat you up or cool you down at any significant level.
You’ll get buyer-friendly policies with Nectar or Puffy. Here’s what Puffy offers:
- Shipping — The Puffy mattress ships via FedEx for free and arrives at your door compressed and rolled up in a box. It’s a good idea to let the mattress breathe and fully inflate for a couple of days before sleeping on it.
- Trial period — Once the mattress is delivered, Puffy offers you a 101-night risk-free sleep trial. Basically, Puffy is giving you over three months to test their bed in the comfort of your own home
- Returns — If you decide the Puffy mattress is not for you within the trial period, just contact customer support to arrange for a third-party service to remove the mattress from your home for no additional charge. Once that occurs, just provide proof to Puffy that the mattress has been picked up to get your full refund.
- Warranty — Puffy backs its mattresses with a lifetime warranty.
Puffy Lux vs Nectar Comparison
For those of you who are unaware, the company also offers another mattress called the Puffy Lux. It’s a premium all-foam bed that is slightly softer than the flagship Puffy mattress.
READ MORE ABOUT PUFFY
Nectar Mattress Review
Nectar is an excellent memory foam mattress that many people love.
Nectar Mattress Construction And Design
If you’re a big memory fan, it’s time to perk up. The Nectar mattress uses four foam layers in its 11 inches of comfort:
- Support foam — This is the foundation of the bed.
- Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam — This proprietary material is dense memory foam that works as the transition layer.
- Gel memory foam — The gel memory foam adds extra comfort.
- Gel memory foam second layer — This layer is quilted into the cover.
When you first lay down, the mattress feels firm and you don’t sink in that much. However, soon the top memory foam layers conform to your body. If you like the feel of memory foam, you’d likely enjoy sleeping on the Nectar mattress.
Nectar Feel And Firmness
Nectar mattress is a bit firmer than Puffy. You don’t sink as much and your hips stay a little more in horizontal alignment with the rest of your body. Overall, we think the bed comes in around a medium to medium-firm on the firmness scale.
Is Nectar Mattress Good For Couples?
When it comes to Nectar vs Puffy, you likely want to know which one is better if you share a bed with someone. Here’s how Nectar stacks up.
Motion transfer isolation is important to consider if one or both partners are active in their sleep (i.e. they move around or get up a lot throughout the night). With beds that isolate motion well (like Puffy and Nectar), you won’t feel as much of your partner’s movements, which will help lead to a more restful night’s sleep.
Edge support is another important topic, especially for couples who share a smaller mattress. Beds with solid edge support provide more useful surface area for both partners to spread out and get comfortable without feeling like they’re going to roll off the edge.
We think Nectar sleeps temperature neutral. In other words, the beds themselves won’t be the primary reason why you warm up or sleep cool at night.
Nectar Mattress Policies
Whether you go with Puffy or Nectar, you’ll find similar policies:
- Shipping — The Nectar mattress ships for free and arrives in a bag.
- Trial period — Nectar offers a full year to try out the mattress, which is much longer than most bed-in-a-box mattresses.
- Returns — You can return your mattress during that year for a full refund.
- Warranty — Nectar mattresses also come with a forever warranty.
READ MORE ABOUT NECTAR:
Puffy vs Nectar Pricing
The Nectar mattress is cheaper than Puffy. A queen-size Nectar has an MSRP of about $800, while the Puffy queen mattress has an MSRP of $1,150. Both companies offer discounts, and you can expect Nectar’s promotions to be in the $100 price range.
However, the MSRP doesn’t mean much in Puffy’s case because they are almost always running a big promotion. We regularly see Puffy offer $250-$300 off MSRP. It might be a good idea to check Puffy.com to see what the current promotion is. It’s also worth noting that Nectar typically throws in two free pillows with each mattress purchase.
Nectar and Puffy Sleeper Type Comparison
We base our reviews on the average body type, but we try to keep everyone in mind. Here’s some information about how these beds tend to feel to certain sleepers.
Both will be comfortable for side sleepers. At first, Nectar doesn’t seem ideal due to the firmness, but once you nestle into the top layers, it’s a comfortable mattress. After a few seconds, the top layers do a good job of cradling your pressure points (hips and shoulders) when you’re on your side.
Back And Stomach Sleepers
Nectar or Puffy will be comfortable for back and stomach sleepers because both provide a good amount of support.
One potential downside with both Puffy and Nectar is that they are not the best options for heavy people because of their constructions. At the end of the day, both mattresses are comprised entirely of foam and total 10″ and 11″ thick, respectively.
We almost always steer big people towards beds that contain coils, whether they’re individually pocketed or part of an innerspring system. That’s because coils are more durable and also provide more resistance against pressure than dense support foams, which both Nectar and Puffy use for their foundations. As such, if you’re a heavy person (250+ lb), we recommend you check out our list of the Best Mattresses For Heavy People or Best Hybrid Mattresses.
Petite sleepers won’t find a significant comfort difference with Nectar vs Puffy mattresses.
Nectar Mattress vs Puffy Review Verdict
After the last section regarding similarities, you still might be a little confused as to which bed to purchase. In our eyes, the decision comes down to three primary factors:
- Budget — If you’re tight on cash, go with Nectar. It’s the cheaper mattress, plus the company often throws in two free pillows.
- Feel — You have to decide whether you’d like a soft, neutral-foam feel (Puffy) or a slightly firmer, dense memory foam feel (Nectar).
- Firmness — If you want a firmer bed, go Nectar. If you want a slightly softer bed, go with Puffy.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
Puffy and Nectar offer free shipping and returns on all their products, including mattresses. Both companies offer fast delivery through FedEx.
In terms of affordability, Nectar has cheaper prices for every mattress size. However, we found that Puffy offers better promotions. That means you could snag a Puffy mattress for cheaper than Nectar if you take advantage of a sale.
Overall, Nectar mattresses are firmer than Puffy mattresses. Part of that is because Nectar mattresses are made of memory foam, which is denser than Puffy’s mixed foam material. Technically, Nectar classifies their mattress as medium-firm, but some Amazon reviewers claim that the mattress is actually much firmer than advertised.