Puffy Mattress vs Purple Mattress Comparison Overview
Puffy and Purple are two popular — and highly comfortable — mattresses. Both can make you sigh with relief when you finally get into bed after a long day. So how do you pick Puffy vs Purple? Our guide can help. At a glance, here are some of the highlights of these beds:
- Price — The Puffy mattress is generally more affordable than all four Purple beds (after discount).
- Feel — The Puffy mattress has a blended, neutral-foam feel. The Purple mattresses, on the other hand, have a unique gel-like feel.
- Temperature regulation — The Hyper-Elastic Polymer material Purple mattresses use allows for great airflow. If you’re a hot sleeper, Purple beds are the better option.
- Other notes — Both beds are compatible with adjustable bed frame bases and other foundations that have next-to-no give, including the popular Puffy adjustable base.
If you’re curious about a particular aspect of Purple mattress vs Puffy, you can use these links to take you to specific sections of the review:
Puffy Mattress vs Purple Mattress Video
Puffy Mattress Review
The Puffy mattress has taken off in recent years — It was even featured on the Ellen Show.
Puffy Mattress Construction And Design
The Puffy mattress is a 10″ thick all-foam bed that consists of three layers:
- Support layer — This is a dense layer of supportive foam.
- Transition layer — A polyfoam layer makes up the middle.
- Comfort layer — This layer is a proprietary foam Puffy calls its Cooling Cloud Comfort Layer, which is one of the more unique memory foams we’ve tested. It’s light and airy, and it doesn’t contour your body as much as other memory foam beds we’ve tested.
The bed has a neutral-foam feel overall. All in all, we think the bed is extremely comfortable. If you want a soft, comforting foam, the Puffy mattress is a safe pick.
Puffy’s Special Mattress Cover
Besides its unique top layer, the Puffy mattress has another noteworthy component: the bed’s removable, stain-resistant cover. The beverage that Slumber Yard team member Jeff spilled on the mattress just rolled off the side.
The cover is also machine washable. Most other bed-in-a-box mattresses have covers that require you to spot clean dirty areas.
Puffy Mattress Firmness And Feel
Overall, we’d rate the Puffy mattress at around a medium on the firmness scale. It’s an accommodating mattress.
Is Mattress A Good Mattress For Couples?
If you have the bed to yourself, you can move around to your heart’s content. But if you share with someone, there are some things to consider to make sure you both get a good night’s rest.
Motion isolation means that if one person moves, the other person shouldn’t be disturbed. Puffy does a good job in this category.
When a mattress has good edge support, you don’t feel like you’re going to fall off the bed because it won’t compress or feel week at the edges. Puffy has satisfying edge support.
Like most mattresses, Puffy sleeps temperature neutral. We don’t think you’ll warm up on this bed. However, it also won’t actively cool you down throughout the night.
Puffy Company Policies
When you’re considering Puffy mattress vs Purple, you want to make sure you’ll like the one you pick in the end. For that reason, Puffy has several buyer-friendly policies to make it easier for you:
- Shipping — Puffy mattresses come with free shipping.
- Trial period — Your mattress has a 101-night trial period.
- Returns — You can send your Puffy mattress back for free for a refund if you don’t find it as comfortable as you’d hoped.
- Warranty — The company is so confident in its product that it offers a lifetime warranty that the mattress will keep its shape and have good quality.
LEARN MORE ABOUT PUFFY:
Puffy Lux vs. Purple
Puffy also offers the more luxurious Puffy Lux, which can add even more questions if you start adding Purple mattress vs Puffy Lux to the question. Here’s a quick video that compares Puffy Lux and Purple directly.
We’d recommend the Puffy Lux if you sleep primarily on your side or like the feel of memory foam. On the other side of the coin, we’d recommend Purple if you are working with a limited budget, are not big of memory foam or sleep primarily on your back or stomach.
Purple Mattress Review
Purple vs Puffy will likely come down to feel because Purple mattress isn’t like other mattresses you’ve tried. If you’re looking for something unique, Purple might be the way to go.
Purple Mattress Construction & Design
The Original Purple mattress has three layers:
- Support layer — Purple starts with four inches of dense foam as the bed’s foundation.
- Transition layer — This layer is 3.25″ and almost two pounds of polyurethane foam. It neutralizes the dense foam beneath it.
- Comfort layer — This two-inch layer is made of Purple’s unique 2″ layer of the brand’s patented Hyper-Elastic Polymer. It’s comfortable and provides great pressure relief.
The cover that pulls it all together cannot be machine washed. It needs to be spot cleaned instead.
Purple Mattress Feel And Firmness
Purple might be the most unique mattress company on earth because of that hyper-elastic polymer. It resembles more of a gel or silicone-like material than foam. Regardless, it’s soft, flexible and supportive. You can stretch it 15 times its original state and it will immediately pop back to its original form.
However, Hyper-Elastic Polymer is not for everyone. Some people absolutely love it and some people think it’s too weird. You should try it for yourself.
The unique layer makes it hard to determine its exact firmness, but we rate it at about a medium.
Is Purple A Good Mattress For Couples?
The biggest question is if both people will like the unique feel of the Hyper-Elastic Polymer. If you do, then you can move on to the general concerns couples will have about mattress comfort.
Purple does a decent job of isolating motion.
The Original mattress doesn’t have as good of edge support as other options, but it’s still pretty good.
Hyper-Elastic Polymer is a naturally cooler material than foam. Further, the design in which the polymer is laid out helps, as well. It’s organized in a grid formation, which creates rows, columns and pockets for air to flow freely.
The result is a neutral or cool sleeping bed that provides great airflow throughout the night. If you’re a person that tends to heat up at night, it’s hard to beat Purple mattresses.
Purple Sleep Policies
If you’re worried about Purple mattress vs Puffy when it comes to buying policies, no need to worry. Purple also has policies that help you feel confident in getting your money’s worth:
- Shipping — Purple offers free shipping.
- Trial period — This USA-made mattress has a 100-night trial period and free shipping and returns to make it easy to try it out.
- Returns — You can return the matters during the trial period if you don’t like it.
- Warranty — Purple has a 10-year warranty to make sure it’s worth the investment.
Purple also has some great accessories to add to your bedroom:
Purple Hybrid vs Puffy
Purple also offers the Purple Hybrid, Purple Hybrid Premier 3, and Purple Hybrid Premier 4. These use pocketed coils for support instead of foam. Coils provide bi-directional support, meaning they compress and push back against pressure. Additionally, coils have proven to be more durable over long periods of time than support foams.
If you’re looking for more support through the coils but like the unique feel of Purple, you may prefer a Purple Hybrid vs Puffy and it’s all-foam construction.
Puffy vs Purple Pricing
Although the Puffy mattress technically has a higher MSRP than the Original Purple mattress, it’s the more affordable option. Puffy is much more aggressive than Purple when it comes to sales, discounts and promo codes.
You can sometimes get a $250-$300 discount on your Puffy mattress purchase. That would bring a queen size down into the $850-$900 range, which is $200-$300 cheaper than the queen size Original Purple mattress. It might be a good idea to check Puffy.com to see what kind of promotion it is currently offering. Purple will offer discounts from time to time but not as frequently as Puffy. Here are the prices without any discounts:
Puffy vs Purple Sleeper Analysis
Because everyone’s body is different, you might need something out of a mattress someone else doesn’t. While we use an average-sized person as the basis for our reviews, we consider everyone’s needs.
Side sleepers will find both Purple and Puffy to be comfortable options.
Back And Stomach Sleepers
Because of the accommodating nature of these mattresses, all sleeping positions should be comfortable on these beds.
We don’t think the original Puffy mattress is the most ideal choice for heavy people (250+ lb), and neither is Purple Original. We almost always recommend big people go with a hybrid or innerspring mattress that contains coils for extra support. We’d recommend large folks go with one of the New Purple Mattresses, which contain individually pocketed coils.
These mattresses will feel a little firmer to petite people because they put less pressure on the mattress, but petite sleepers are still likely to find both comfortable.
Purple vs. Puffy Mattress Review Verdict
If you’re still having trouble deciding between Purple vs Puffy, ask yourself three questions:
- What’s your budget? If it’s around $1,000, you’re left with Puffy and the Original Purple. You won’t be able to afford the more luxury versions.
- Do you want a soft foam feel? If you do, Puffy is the clear winner. If you’re not sure, you might want to give one of the Purple beds a try.
- Do you sleep hot? If you do, Purple wins.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
Not necessarily. Puffy is a better option if you have a limited budget and want a super soft memory foam mattress. Purple is better if you are a hot sleeper. They both have their pros and cons. You might love your Purple mattress but not like the Puffy mattress. It could be the opposite for someone else.
Puffy Lux has a more luxurious, super soft feel to it with more pressure relief. Puffy (the original) is a bit firmer than the Lux. So, it depends on which one you would prefer.