Puffy vs TempurPedic Overview
There’s a lot of info to cover in this comparison of TempurPedic vs Puffy, but here are the main points:
- Price: Puffy retails around $1,150. The cheapest mattress in the Tempur-Adapt Series is $2,200 for the queen size.
- Feel: Puffy has a blended soft foam feel vs. traditional memory foam feel.
- Construction: Puffy is an all-foam mattress, and Tempur-Pedic offers hybrid options.
- Body type: Puffy is best for petite- to medium-sized folks, but all body types will find an accommodating Tempur-Pedic mattress.
- Firmness: Puffy comes in a medium firmness level, but you can choose between several with Tempur-Pedic.
- Cover: Puffy has a “stain-resistant” and machine washable cover, and Tempur-Pedic has a cooling cover.
Puffy Mattress vs TempurPedic, a comparison of two very popular mattress companies. TempurPedic has been a well-known traditional mattress retailer for years, while Puffy gained its popularity in the online space. These companies offer multiple mattresses at different price points but couldn’t be more different in how they were founded.
Puffy, the more affordable of the two, was started by Arthur Andreasyan after he dreamed of making a mattress that felt like you were sleeping on clouds. TempurPedic, headquartered in Lexington, Kentucky, is a luxury mattress brand that was started after NASA worked to create a cushion that would protect aircraft passengers in an accident. Despite the differences in Puffy vs TempurPedic, both companies have made a big splash among consumers shopping for mattresses.
Here’s a quick overview of the subjects that we’ll be covering in this review. Click the links to jump to the appropriate section in this Puffy vs TempurPedic mattress comparison:
Puffy Mattress vs TempurPedic Mattress Review Video
Puffy Mattress Review
If you’re not familiar with the bed-in-a-box mattress space, there are several brands at the top, including Puffy. In 2018, the brand was featured on The Ellen Show, and it has earned a reputation since it started business. We think it has a great value because it’s the average price of a bed-in-a-box, and it’s equipped with additional features that are harder to come by. Puffy also offers additional products, such as the popular Puffy adjustable base.
Puffy Construction And Design
To really give you an idea on the Puffy Mattress vs TempurPedic, we cut Puffy open to see what it looks like on the inside. We discovered it’s 10” thick and constructed with three layers of foam:
- 6″ of memory foam – This is dense support foam to serve as the foundation of the bed.
- 2″ of Climate Comfort Foam – This is a proprietary foam made to its function as a solid transition layer to neutralize the feeling of the dense foam underneath it.
- Cooling Cloud Foam – This is proprietary gel-infused visco polyurethane foam, but it’s basically gel memory foam. It was made using Puffy’s Variable Pressure Foaming process to be environmentally friendly.
The top layer is made out of another proprietary foam called Cooling Cloud Foam. It’s a gel-infused visco polyurethane foam, but speaking in much simpler terms, it’s basically gel memory foam. It was made using Puffy’s Variable Pressure Foaming process, meaning the foam was manufactured in an environmentally friendly manner.
Puffy Mattress Cover
Puffy’s cover is stain-resistant, removable and machine washable. The cover is a little harder to take off than others we’ve tested out, like the one on Yogabed, but we love the rare machine washable cover.
Many brands say its covers are removable, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe to throw in the wash. We think this feature is a huge plus.
Puffy Mattress Feel & Firmness
In early 2019, Puffy made an update to its mattress that changed the overall feel of the bed. The company used to use 4” of the Cooling Cloud Foam, but now Puffy uses 2” instead and incorporated the 2” transition foam layer. We previously thought Puffy had a memory foam feel, but after the update, it feels more like a soft foam blend.
You still get a slight memory foam feel from the top layer, but it’s more airy and light than the dense memory foam people are familiar with. It feels like somewhere in between memory foam and neutral foam. We even think it might be a good mattress for folks who don’t usually love memory foam.
On our scale from soft to firm, we rated it a medium. It has a nice balance between supportive and pressure relieving. As you’ll see below, in the story for Puffy vs TempurPedic, the ladder offers a few more firmness options to accommodate an even wider range of sleepers.
Is Puffy A Good Mattress For Couples?
Many couples like Puffy because of the qualities that make it comfortable for sharing a bed.
If your partner tends to move around in their sleep, you won’t need to worry about a restless night with this mattress. Puffy does a good job of absorbing motion.
Puffy also has good edge support. You can sleep on the edge of the bed without feeling like you are going to fall off.
Memory foam tends to sleep hot, but Puffy is more temperature neutral. It won’t heat you up or cool you down.
Puffy Company Policies
Over the years, Puffy has earned itself good reputation. Its buyer-friendly policies make it easy to know if you’ve chosen the right mattress:
- Shipping – Puffy offers free shipping. Your mattress should arrive within two to five business days. Let it inflate for a day or two before using it.
- Trial period – You can test the bed for 100 nights.
- Returns – If you decide it’s not the right bed for you during the trial period, contact customer support to arrange a free pickup and a full refund.
- Warranty – Most mattress companies offer a ten-year warranty, but Puffy offers a lifetime warranty on all of its mattresses.
Puffy Lux vs. Tempur-Pedic
The Puffy Lux is softer, so it’s a great option for side sleepers as it has a contouring layer for extra pressure reief. This mattress is several hundred more dollars than the original. Check out our full Puffy vs Puffy Lux comparison for more info on how they differ.
If you’re looking at TempurPedic vs Puffy Lux, the premium version of Puffy is still less expensive than TempurPedic. The winner of the TempurPedic vs Puffy Lux debate ultimately depends on how you prefer to sleep, as Tempur-Pedic is better option for back, stomach, and combo sleepers.
Puffy Royal vs. Tempur-Pedic
This is a luxury model. It uses layers of different types of memory foam to create a comfortable medium-firm feel that back and side sleepers will like. Make sure to read our Puffy Royal review for more info.
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
If you’ve heard of memory foam, you’ve probably heard of Tempur-Pedic. It’s a luxury memory foam brand you can find in countless stores and online. We tested out the newer Tempur-Adapt series. The models include Tempur-Adapt, Tempur-ProAdapt and Tempur-LuxeAdapt. If you’re a sucker for the finer things in life, we think you’ll like this mattress in the TempurPedic vs Puffy face off.
TempurPedic Construction & Design
Tempur-Pedic has three models in the Tempur-Adapt series, and two of them come in a hybrid version. We’re discussing the construction of the Tempur-ProAdapt model. It’s similar to the other models, except for the density of the foams used and the type of material used for the base. The layers of this bed are:
- Support foam – The bottom layer is dense support foam (or coils in the hybrid models) as the foundation.
- Transition foam – This dense foam layer helps you not feel the support foam.
- Comfort foam – The top will have several layers of memory foam.
The construction will slightly vary if you go with a different model. You can see the exact construction of the other models at TempurPedic.com.
Tempur-Adapt series mattresses are all wrapped in a phase change cooling cover. It’s cool-to-the-touch and helps regulate temperature better than traditional memory foam does.
You’re able to remove the cover on the mattresses in the TEMPUR-Adapt Series, but we don’t recommend it because they’re not machine washable and are difficult to put back on. Spot clean the mattress instead.
Tempur-Pedic Feel And Firmness
Tempur-Pedic is almost synonymous with memory foam, and each bed has a distinct memory foam feel. A Tempur-Pedic mattress feels a little firm at first, but memory foam softens after exposure to body heat. After a few seconds, you sink into the bed as the memory foam layers contour to the curves of your body.
As far as the mattresses’ firmness levels go, the more you weigh, the softer a mattress is going to feel. With that said, here is how we rated the TEMPUR-Adapt mattresses’ firmness levels based on an average-sized person:
- Soft: medium
- Medium/Medium hybrid: medium-firm
- Firm: firm
Is TempurPedic A Good Mattress For Couples?
Tempur-Pedic gets high marks for being comfortable for couples. The brand also offers split king and split California king mattresses for couples with different sleep preferences.
Tempur-Pedic has made commercials about jumping on the bed without disturbing a glass of wine, so you can be assured that you won’t be disturbed if your partner moves around a lot at night.
The foam border on this mattress makes it so you don’t feel like you’ll fall off the bed, even when you’re sleeping on the edge.
This bed is temperature neutral.
TempurPedic Company Policies
Tempur-Pedic also has buying policies that help you know which mattress (or even which Tempur-Pedic mattress) you will like best:
- Shipping – All mattresses come with free white-glove delivery or free shipping.
- Trial period – You can test your mattress for 90 days.
- Returns – Returns depend on where you buy the mattress. If you buy from the website or a Tempur-Pedic mattress store, you may need to pay a small return fee to make up for the cost of shipping or white-glove delivery.
- Warranty – Tempur-Pedic offers a 10-year warranty.
Puffy vs TempurPedic Mattress Pricing
Puffy is around the average bed-in-a-box price, and Tempur-Pedic is a luxury mattress. Without applying discounts, a queen-size Puffy goes for about $1,150 and Tempur-Adapt, the cheapest mattress in the Tempur-Adapt Series retails around $1,999 (for a queen). See the chart below for the full breakdown:
Tempur-Pedic vs. Puffy Sleeper Analysis
Your weight and your sleeping style affect which mattress you’ll find more comfortable. We base our reviews and firmness ratings on an average-sized person.
For Puffy vs TempurPedic, Puffy offers a nice balance of support and pressure relief to side sleepers while TempurPedic has different firmness options. Side sleepers will be comfortable with a soft or medium-firm option, depending on how much pressure relief they’re looking for.
Back And Stomach Sleepers
Puffy is great for all sleepers. Back and stomach sleepers will find plenty of support for their trunk. If you want a Tempur-Pedic mattress that is firm for lots of support, one of the firm models will give you that.
As mentioned, Puffy is great for all sleeper types. Combo sleepers can find the right option with Tempur-Pedic because of its varieties of styles and firmness levels.
People who weigh more than average should go with a hybrid version of Tempur-Pedic rather than the all-foam Puffy or an all-foam Tempur-Pedic mattress. Coils will help the bed last longer and give you the support you need.
Though, if you’re considering Puffy Lux vs TempurPedic, Puffy Lux does offer a more suitable construction for heavier body types than the original model.
Petite people don’t put much pressure on the bed, so they may feel that Puffy is a little firm. As before, petite sleepers can find a Tempur-Pedic version that will be well-suited for their size and sleep needs without the bed feeling too hard.
Puffy vs. Tempur-Pedic Review Verdict
In the end, these are both excellent mattresses. Which one is the best will depend on your preferences. Here are a few straightforward questions you can ask yourself to get closer to the right decision:
- Do you dislike memory foam? You should look into Puffy instead of Tempur-Pedic.
- Would you want a mattress with a machine washable cover? It sounds like Puffy might be the winner.
- Do you want to choose between firmness levels? Tempur-Pedic offers a range of firmness levels.
- Are you on a budget? Tempur-Pedic costs more than Puffy.
- Are you 250+ lbs? We think you should consider a hybrid Tempur-Pedic mattress that has coils.
The answers to these questions will help you know which option is best for you.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
When cleaning a foam mattress, vacuum it, spray it with non-harsh cleaning products so as not to ruin the foam and then vacuum again. Be sure to clean both sides.
Puffy is a bed-in-a-box mattress while Tempur-Pedic offers white-glove delivery. Both brands offer free shipping.
Puffy mattresses are expected to last 13-15 years, though they come with a lifetime warranty. A Tempur-Pedic bed life expectancy is similar — 10-15 years. If taken care of properly, the mattresses may last longer.