|$699 – $1,449||Price Range||$1,799 – $2,999|
|101 Nights||Trial Period||90 Nights|
|Free Shipping and Returns||Shipping Options||Free Shipping and Returns|
|Shop Now||Shop Now|
Puffy vs. TempurPedic Mattress Overview
We’re not going to lie to you; there’s a lot of info to cover in this comparison of TempurPedic vs. Puffy. Here are the main points that you need to know:
- Price: If price is the factor you’re most concerned with, TempurPedic is likely not going to be your choice. We’d stick with Puffy, because it’s significantly more affordable. Puffy retails around $1,150. The cheapest mattress in the Tempur-Adapt Series is $2,200 for the queen size.
- Feel: If you are after a memory foam feel, TempurPedic is your choice. Puffy has a blended soft foam feel vs. traditional memory foam feel.
- Construction: The Puffy bed is an all-foam mattress. TempurPedic on the other hand, offers hybrid options in addition to an all-foam bed.
- Body type: The Puffy mattress is best for petite- to medium-sized folks. While all body types will find an accommodating Tempur-Pedic mattress.
- Firmness: Puffy comes in a medium firmness level. You have the option to choose between several firmness levels with TempurPedic.
- Cover: The covers are different. The Puffy bed has a “stain-resistant” and machine washable cover. TempurPedic has a cooling cover that’s good for hot sleepers.
Puffy vs. TempurPedic Video Comparison
Design & Construction
Puffy: all foam construction
To really give you an idea of the Puffy Mattress vs. TempurPedic, we cut Puffy open to see what it looks like on the inside in comparison to TempurPedic. The Puffy bed is 10” thick and constructed with three layers of foam:
- 6″ of memory foam – The foundation of the bed is a layer of dense support foam.
- 2″ of Climate Comfort Foam – This is a proprietary foam made to function as a solid transition layer to neutralize the feeling of the dense foam underneath it.
- Cooling Cloud Foam – This is proprietary gel-infused visco polyurethane foam, but it’s basically gel memory foam. It was made using Puffy’s Variable Pressure Foaming process to be environmentally friendly.
The top layer of the Puffy bed is made out of another proprietary foam called Cooling Cloud Foam. It’s a gel-infused visco polyurethane foam, but speaking in much simpler terms, it’s basically gel memory foam. Additionally, it was made using Puffy’s Variable Pressure Foaming process, meaning the foam was manufactured in an environmentally friendly manner.
TempurPedic: hybrid construction
TempurPedic has three models in the Tempur-Adapt series, and two of them come in a hybrid version. We’re discussing the construction of the Tempur-ProAdapt model. It’s similar to the other models, except for the density of the foams used and the type of material used for the base. The layers of this bed are:
- Support foam – The bottom layer of the Tempur-ProAdapt bed is dense support foam (or coils in the hybrid models).
- Transition foam – To ensure the bed isn’t too firm, TempurPedic added a dense foam layer that helps you not feel the support foam.
- Comfort foam – The top of the Tempur-ProAdapt is actually several layers of memory foam.
The construction will vary slightly if you go with a different model. You can see the exact construction of the other models at TempurPedic.com.
Feel & Firmness
Puffy: soft foam blend feel, medium firm
In early 2019, Puffy made an update to its mattress that changed the overall feel of the bed. The company used to include a 4” thick Cooling Cloud Foam layer, now Puffy uses 2” instead and incorporated the 2” transition foam layer. The original 4” layer gave the Puffy bed a memory foam feel. Still, after the update, it now has a soft foam blend feel.
You still get a slight memory foam feel from the top layer of the bed, but it’s more airy and light than the dense memory foam people are familiar with. It feels like somewhere in between memory foam and neutral foam. We even think it might be a good mattress for folks who don’t usually love memory foam.
On our scale from soft to firm, we rated the Puffy mattress as a medium firmness. It has a nice balance between supportive and pressure relieving. As you’ll see below, TempurPedic offers a few more firmness options to accommodate an even wider range of sleepers.
TempurPedic: memory foam feel, varying firmness
TempurPedic is almost synonymous with memory foam, and each bed has a distinct memory foam feel. In terms of firmness, the TempurPedic mattress does feel a little firm at first, but that is not how it will feel long term. Memory foam softens after exposure to body heat. After a few seconds, you sink into the bed as the memory foam layers contour to the curves of your body.
As far as the mattresses’ firmness levels go, the more you weigh, the softer a mattress is going to feel. With that said, here is how we rated the TEMPUR-Adapt mattresses’ firmness levels based on an average-sized person:
- Soft: medium
- Medium/Medium hybrid: medium-firm
- Firm: firm
Other Factors to Consider
Firmness and feel aren’t the only factors to consider when choosing a mattress. You should also pay attention to each bed’s edge support, motion isolation, and temperature. In the case of Puffy and Tempurpedic, both offer great features.
When it comes to edge support, we think Tempur-Pedic will be a better option. They offer hybrid beds, which naturally provide better support around the bed’s perimeter because the bottom is based on steel rather than coils. TempurPedic also has foam reinforced around the edges of the coils to help enhance edge support.
If your partner tends to move around in their sleep, you won’t need to worry about a restless night with either mattress. Both the Puffy and Tempur-Pedic do a good job of absorbing motion. Tempur-Pedic has even made commercials about jumping on the bed without disturbing a glass of wine, so you can be assured you won’t be disturbed if your partner moves around a lot at night.
Memory foam tends to sleep hot, but both the Puffy and Tempur-Pedic mattresses are more temperature neutral. Both beds won’t heat you up nor cool you down. Though, keep in mind Tempur-Pedic offers a Breeze model with very effective cooling technology.
Body Type Analysis
Your weight affects which mattress you’ll find more comfortable. We base our reviews and firmness ratings on an average-sized person, but each mattress may be more well-suited to people of certain sizes.
- Petite Individuals
Petite people don’t put much pressure on the bed, because of this, they might feel as though a bed is too firm. That’s what happens with Puffy, petite people may find it to be too firm for their liking. Petite sleepers can find a TempurPedic bed that will be well-suited for their size and sleep needs without the bed feeling too hard.
- Average-Weighted Individuals
Those of average body size can get a comfortable night’s sleep on either the Puffy or Tempurpedic mattress. It really depends on your sleep style — back and stomach, side, or combo — and what firmness and feel you’re looking for.
- Heavy Individuals
People who weigh more than average should go with a hybrid version of Tempur-Pedic rather than the all-foam Puffy or an all-foam Tempur-Pedic mattress. Coils will help the bed last longer and give you the support you need.
Though if you’re considering Puffy Lux vs. TempurPedic, Puffy Lux does offer a more suitable construction for heavier body types than the original model.
Sleeper Type Analysis
Just like your weight, your sleeping style also plays a role in which mattress you should choose. Depending on whether you’re a side, combination, or back and stomach sleeper, there are certain mattresses that will be a better fit.
- Side SleepersGood For
For Puffy vs. TempurPedic, Puffy offers a nice balance of support and pressure relief to side sleepers, while TempurPedic has different firmness options. Side sleepers will be comfortable with a soft or medium-firm option from TempurPedic, depending on how much pressure relief they’re looking for.
- Combo SleepersGood For
As mentioned, Puffy is great for all sleeper types. Combo sleepers can find the right option with Tempur-Pedic because of its varieties of styles and firmness levels.
- Back and Stomach SleepersGood For
Puffy is great for all sleepers. Back and stomach sleepers will find plenty of support for their trunk. If you want a Tempur-Pedic mattress that is firm for lots of support, one of the firm models will give you that.
Puffy Company Policies
Over the years, Puffy has earned itself a good reputation. Its buyer-friendly policies make it easy to know if you’ve chosen the right mattress:
- Shipping – Puffy offers free shipping. Your mattress should arrive within two to five business days. Let it inflate for a day or two before using it.
- Trial period – You can test the bed for 100 nights.
- Returns – If you decide it’s not the right bed for you during the trial period, contact customer support to arrange a free pickup and a full refund.
- Warranty – Most mattress companies offer a ten-year warranty, but Puffy offers a lifetime warranty on all of its mattresses.
TempurPedic Company Policies
Tempur-Pedic also has buying policies that help you know which mattress (or even which Tempur-Pedic mattress) you will like best:
- Shipping – All mattresses come with free white-glove delivery or free shipping.
- Trial period – You can test your mattress for 90 days.
- Returns – Returns depend on where you buy the mattress. If you buy from the website or a Tempur-Pedic mattress store, you may need to pay a small return fee to make up for the cost of shipping or white-glove delivery.
- Warranty – Tempur-Pedic offers a 10-year warranty.
Puffy Lux vs. TempurPedic
The Puffy Lux is softer, so it’s a great option for side sleepers as it has a contouring layer for extra pressure relief. Keep in mind, the Puffy Lux mattress is several hundred more dollars than the original. Check out our full Puffy vs. Puffy Lux comparison for more info on how they differ.
If you’re looking at TempurPedic vs. Puffy Lux, the premium version of Puffy is still less expensive than TempurPedic. The winner of the TempurPedic vs. Puffy Lux debate ultimately depends on how you prefer to sleep. Tempur-Pedic is a better option for back, stomach, and combo sleepers.
Puffy Royal vs. Tempur-Pedic
The Puffy Royal bed is the luxury model from Puffy. It uses layers of different types of memory foam to create a comfortable medium-firm feel that back and side sleepers will like. Make sure to read our Puffy Royal review for more info.
If you’ve heard of memory foam, you’ve probably heard of Tempur-Pedic. If you’re a sucker for the finer things in life, we think you’ll like this mattress in the TempurPedic vs. Puffy face-off.
Puffy vs. TempurPedic Mattress Pricing
There is no question, Puffy is the cheaper option. Puffy is around the average bed-in-a-box price, and Tempur-Pedic is a luxury mattress. Without applying discounts, a queen-size Puffy goes for about $1,150, and Tempur-Adapt, the cheapest mattress in the Tempur-Adapt Series, retails around $1,999 (for a queen). See the chart below for the full breakdown:
Puffy vs. TempurPedic Review Verdict
In the end, these are both Puffy and Tempurpedic excellent mattresses. Which one is the best will depend on your preferences. Here are a few straightforward questions you can ask yourself to get closer to the right decision:
- Do you dislike memory foam? If you don’t like the traditional memory foam feel, you should look into Puffy instead of Tempur-Pedic.
- Would you want a mattress with a machine washable cover? If being able to wash your cover is important for you, it sounds like Puffy might be your winner.
- Do you want to choose between firmness levels? Tempur-Pedic offers a range of firmness levels. Puffy only has one.
- Are you on a budget? Every model from Puffy is going to be more affordable than TempurPedic.
- Are you 250+ lbs? If so, we think you should consider a hybrid Tempur-Pedic mattress that has coils.
The answers to these questions will help you know which option is best for you.
The Puffy Lux is Puffy’s high end mattress model. While it does cost more than the original Puffy bed, it is still less expensive than TempurPedic. If you’re after a soft mattress that has plenty of pressure relief, then the Puffy Lux bed is worth it.
We rated the Puffy mattress as a medium firmness –– meaning people who suffer from back pain will get the support they need. It’s comfortable enough to cradle your shoulders and hips, but not too soft that it will throw your spine out of alignment.
We’re not going to sugar coat it, TempurPedic is expensive –– they start around $1,500. Because of that, they aren’t for everyone. That said, TempurPedic is known for luxury. If you’re looking for a true memory foam mattress and you’re not afraid of a large pricetag, then yes, a TempurPedic bed is worth it.
TempurPedic stands out when it comes to pressure relief. If you’re someone who lives with chronic pain in your hips, shoulders, neck or back, a TempurPedic mattress can help relieve your pain.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team