Saatva vs Avocado Mattress Comparison
They both have coils, but is the Avocado Green Mattress or Saatva the correct pick for you? Learn more here.
Last Updated: October 1, 2020Matt Ross
Avocado and Saatva are both known for making high-quality, eco-friendly beds, so we decided to put them head-to-head in this direct comparison. We break down the major reasons why you may prefer one bed over the other.
|AT A GLANCE||PRICING||HEADLINE|
|Pillow Top||$200 Off Orders $1,000+ Applied in Cart||Saatva Classic is the original innerspring mattress online. It comes in three firmness options, all of which have coils for support and a fluffy pillow top.|
|Latex Foam||$200 Off Code: GREEN200||The Avocado Green Mattress is the most sought after natural/organic mattress online. It’s supportive, comfortable, and constructed with high quality materials.|
Key Highlights For Avocado vs Saatva
Avocado and Saatva are both well-recognized and well-reputed brands in the online mattress space. They often end up on the same short list for shoppers because the two brands have similar marketing tactics and cater to a similar demographic of sleepers.
However, there are significant differences between the two:
- Construction: Avocado is a latex foam hybrid, while Saatva has an innerspring design with a fluffy pillow-top as the comfort layer
- Firmness: Saatva has three firmness options, and Avocado has an optional pillow top to take the mattress from firm to medium-firm
- Price: Saatva is more affordable than Avocado with the pillow-top.
Jump-To Links For This Comparison
So those are the points we’ll be hitting in this comparison. Feel free to jump to any section with the above links.
Avocado Vs Saatva Review Video
Saatva Mattress Review
The Saatva mattress is a luxury online bed known to be high quality and comfortable. In addition to the Saatva Luxury mattress (the focus of today’s comparison), the company also offers two other mattresses. The Zenhaven is a double-sided 100 percent talalay latex foam mattress, while the Loom & Leaf is an all-foam mattress that has a deep memory foam feel.
Saatva Construction And Materials
Saatva uses both coils and layers of foam. It contains dual layers of coils, which is what sets it apart from many hybrid beds.
Saatva’s layers starting from the bottom are:
- Base layer – Innersprings to provide a solid foundation for the mattress
- Middle layer – Pocketed coils which help isolate movement on a mattress more efficiently because each coil is individually wrapped and moves independently from each other
- Comfort layer – A thin layer of memory foam right underneath the cover for added pressure relief
- Top layer – Euro pillow-top for plush and fluffy comfort
Saatva’s two layers of coils make it a supportive and especially durable mattress. The coils keep heavy back sleepers properly supported, while also extending the lifespan of the bed.
While the Saatva comes in two heights, Custom Slim (11.5”) and Premier Luxury (14.5”). The feel doesn’t change, however, regardless of the height you choose.
Saatva Feel And Firmness
The flagship Saatva mattress is offered in plush soft, luxury firm and firm:
- Plush soft: Softer foams and extra padding give it a body-hugging feel.
- Luxury firm: This option provides a balance of comfort and support.
- Firm: Firmer foams let you feel as if you’re lying on top of the mattress instead of sinking in it.
Saatva Sleeper Type Analysis
Saatva’s three firmness level options make it an accommodating mattress for any type of sleeper. Regardless of body type or sleeper type, you can likely choose a Saatva bed with the right firmness for you. Here are recommendations depending on your sleeper type:
- Plush soft: Best for side sleepers
- Luxury firm: Great for all sleeper positions, especially back and stomach sleepers
- Firm: Best for back or stomach sleepers and for people who have heavier body types
Best For All Sleepers
Saatva’s firmness options make it easy for all kinds of sleepers to find comfort. If you’re heavier than average (say 250+ pounds), you might want to consider the firm option. If you’re a petite side sleeper, you’ll probably be most comfortable on the plush soft. You can see all three firmness levels on Saatva’s website.
Saatva Pros And Cons
- 15-year warranty
- 180 day trial period
- Three comfort levels that suits all sleeper types
- Ideal for all body types
- Extra durable construction with back-to-back innersprings and coils
- $99 return fee
- Might be out of budget for some shoppers
Other Saatva Products
- Adjustable base
Saatva Mattress Reviews
- BBB rating: A+. Saatva gets a five-star rating from the Better Business Bureau based on 455 customer reviews.
- Amazon reviews: 2 ½ stars. Of the 28 customer rankings for the Saatva Luxury Firm queen-sized mattress, 11 percent were rated with five stars.
Saatva vs Avocado Pricing
If Saatva and Avocado are out of your price range, check out our list of the Best Mattresses Under $1,000.
|Size||Saatva Luxury Firm||Avocado|
SEE ALSO: Saatva vs Purple Mattress Comparison
Avocado Mattress Review
The Avocado Green Mattress is one of the most popular and recognizable eco-friendly beds on the market. In fact, it has been recommended by Consumer Reports.
Avocado Construction And materials.
Avocado is a hybrid mattress, using both foam and coils and is made with a host of natural and eco-friendly materials. It’s
also one of the areas where Avocado stands apart from Saatva. The company has received a number of health certifications for its materials.
Avocado’s layers are the following:
- Base layer – 8” layer of individually wrapped pocketed coils made of recycled steel
- Comfort layer – 3” layer of 100 % GOTS-certified latex foam for bouncy and supportive comfort
- Cover – 100 percent GOTS-certified organic cotton cover that’s more breathable than standard cotton
There’s also an additional 2” layer of latex foam if you get the optional pillow top.
All of the products are manufactured in a GOTS- and GOLS-certified factory. The foam is antimicrobial — mold, dust mite and allergen resistant. Other materials include natural hydrated silica, which acts as a fire barrier.
SEE ALSO: Best Organic & Natural Mattresses List
Avocado Feel And Firmness
The standard Avocado mattress provides a balance of firmness and comfort, leaning more towards the firm side. If you buy the optional pillow top, the mattress lands around a medium-firm on the firmness scale and delivers a luxury, plush feel.
We advocate for the optional pillow top because it adds some pleasant cushiony comfort to an otherwise firm mattress. Of course, if you’re looking for a mattress that is a true firm, you can get that by forgoing the pillow top.
Avocado Sleeper Type Analysis
Due to its firmness, the standard Avocado mattress is ideal for back and stomach sleepers. The addition of the optional pillow-top makes the mattress good for combo sleepers, some side sleepers, and those in need of pressure relief.
Best For All Sleepers
Between the standard model and the optional pillow-top, the Avocado offers comfort for all body sizes.
Avocado Pros And Cons
- 25-year warranty
- Full year trial period
- Certified organic cotton and latex
- Ideal for all body types
- Pillow topper for pressure relief costs more
- Probably too firm for petite side sleepers
- Might be expensive for some shoppers, especially with the pillow-top
Other Avocado Products.
- Bed frames
- Mattress pads
- Pillow protectors
Avocado Mattress Reviews
- BBB rating: Not rated. Avocado has no reviews with the Better Business Bureau.
- Amazon reviews: 1 star. The Avocado Green Mattress, California king, has two reviews. Both customers gave it one star.
Saatva vs Avocado Review Verdict
In the end, these are both quality beds. Whether you go with Saatva or Avocado, you’ll be getting a well-made product. If you’re still having trouble settling on one or the other, consider these questions:
- How much do you care about the eco-friendliness of your bed? If you care enough to pay more for it, go with Avocado.
- Do you prefer latex foam (and its benefits) or more of a traditional innerspring type feel? For latex, go with Avocado. For more of a traditional mattress feel, get the Saatva.
- Do you need firmness options or extra support? If so, Saatva is the pick.
Use these factors to decide which bed is right for you.
Shipping, Returns, Trial Periods And Warranties
There’s a fairly standard set of policies for shipping returns, trial periods and warranties for mattresses. Generally speaking, an online bed comes with free shipping, a 100-night trial period, free returns with a full refund or a 10-year warranty if you decide to keep the mattress. Avocado and Saatva, though, don’t follow those exact terms. Here are their company policies:
- Shipping: Saatva offers free white-glove delivery (mattress will be set up by the delivery service) and removal of your old mattress. Avocado offers free shipping, and your mattress will arrive compressed in a box.
- Returns: With Saatva, a third-party service removes the mattress for a $99 return fee. With Avocado, a third-party service removes the mattress for you at no charge.
- Trial period length: Saatva offers 180 nights. Avocado offers a year.
- Warranty policy: Saatva has a 15-year warranty. Avocado has a 25-year warranty.