Saatva vs Purple Hybrid Mattress Comparison
These are two premium mattresses, but which should you get, Purple or Saatva?
Last Updated: September 4, 2020McKenzie Dillon
Saatva and Purple are two of the most well-known online mattress brands. However, most people don't realize Purple beds and the Saatva Luxury Classic mattress are actually quite different. In this post, we focus on the main differences between these beds to make your mattress shopping experience a little easier.
|AT A GLANCE||PRICING||HEADLINE|
|Pillow Top||$200 Off Orders $1,000+ Applied in Cart||Saatva Classic is the original innerspring mattress online. It comes in three firmness options, all of which have coils for support and a fluffy pillow top.|
|Unique||Free Gifts w/ Mattress Purchase||Purple Hybrid Premier has 7.5″ pocket coils and 3″ of Hyper-Elastic Polymer. It’s around a medium on the firmness scale and is a great option for hot sleepers.|
Purple vs Saatva Highlights
Quick facts on the main differences between Saatva and Purple:
- Feel: Purple beds have a unique, gel-like feel, while the Saatva mattress has a more traditional innerspring feel.
- Price: Saatva is more expensive than the Original Purple but cheaper than the Purple Hybrid mattresses.
- Sleeper type: Purple beds offer more pressure relief than Saatva. As such, they’re preferable for side sleepers.
- Firmness options: Saatva gives you the option to choose between three comfort levels. Purple beds come in one feel (medium).
Jump-To Links For This Comparison:
Saatva Vs Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Video
These bullet points just touch the surface. There’s a lot more you should know about each mattress. Keep reading to learn more.
Saatva Classic Review
Let’s explore what makes the Saatva mattress a good choice.
Construction And Materials.
The Saatva mattress has high-quality construction. Here are its layers from bottom to top:
- Steel coil innerspring layer for support
- Layer of pocketed coils
- Layer of memory foam
- Soft euro pillow topper
This type of construction (innerspring plus topper) is what most people are probably used to, except Saatva’s construction is more advanced than the innerspring bed you probably grew up sleeping on.
Saatva Classic Feel And Firmness
The Saatva mattress has more of a traditional innerspring feel as it’s firm and supportive, with a bit of neutral comfort on top. Many people prefer this type of feel over a lot of the newer bed-in-a-box mattresses that are made with layers of soft foam. If you fall into that category, chances are you’ll really love Saatva.
Saatva is available in three comfort levels:
- Plush soft: Best for side sleepers
- Luxury firm: Great for all sleeper positions, especially back and stomach sleepers
- Firm: Best for back or stomach sleepers and for people who have heavier body types
These options mean that anyone can find a Saatva mattress they will like.
Saatva Is Best For All Sleepers
The Saatva Classic luxury firm model is ideal for all sleep positions. The company’s best seller, it is preferred by 82 percent of Saatva’s customers. It provides a balance of support and comfort and is designed to mimic the comfort experience found in luxury hotels.
Additionally, it’s one of the best beds we’ve ever tested for edge support, which is especially important for partners in full or queen size beds.
Saatva Classic Pros And Cons
- Three comfort levels
- Long warranty — 15 years
- Long trial period — 180 nights
- Easier to feel your partner moving in bed
- $99 return fee
Other Saatva Products
- Saatva Latex Hybrid Mattress
- Adjustable base
Saatva Classic Reviews
- BBB rating: A+. Saatva gets a five-star rating from the Better Business Bureau based on 455 customer reviews.
- Amazon reviews: 2 ½ stars. With 28 customer rankings for the Saatva Luxury Firm queen-sized mattress, 11% were rated with five stars.
Saatva Classic vs. Purple Hybrid Pricing.
Saatva is more affordable than the Purple Hybrid mattress. For its price, we think Saatva is a steal considering its high-quality construction. It even made our list of the Best Mattresses For The Money. And the Saatva mattress comes with a 15-year warranty, compared to 10 years for Purple.
|Size||Saatva Classic Luxury Firm||Purple Hybrid|
If Saatva and Purple are both out of your price range, check out our list of the best budget mattresses.
SEE ALSO: Saatva vs DreamCloud Mattress Comparison
Purple Hybrid Review
Purple’s Different Mattress Models
Before we jump into the advantages Purple beds provide, it’s important to note there are four Purple mattress models to choose from:
- Original Purple: This bed has two layers of polyurethane foam and a 2″ slab of Hyper-Elastic Polymer.
- Purple Hybrid: This uses individually pocketed coils as opposed to dense support foam.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 3: This mattress is similar to the base hybrid model, but it has 1″ more of the polymer material on top.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 4: This bed is similar to the Premier 3 model, except it uses an additional inch of the special polymer on top.
For more details, on how these four models differ, check out our full Purple Mattress Comparison.
Purple Hybrid Construction And Materials
Purple Hybrid beds are different from most other online mattresses due to their special top layer. Instead of foam or some sort of topper, the Purple mattress
es uses a patented material called Hyper-Elastic Polymer that is extremely flexible, soft , and responsive. Although it’s technically polymer, it acts and feels more like silicone or a gel–like material. As such, all Purple beds have a gel-like feel to them.
The layers of this bed are
- Responsive support coils
- 2” of Hyber-Elastic Polymer
- Premium Stretchmax cover
Purple Hybrid Feel And firmness.
As you lay on the bed, you can feel the Hyper-Elastic Polymer shifting, compressing and conforming to your body. It’s a little odd at first, but after a few nights of sleeping on the bed, we’ve found most people enjoy the feel.
What’s unique about Hyper-Elastic Polymer is that it’s also supportive. It’s one of the few materials that provide the best of both worlds (pressure relief and support). The company likes to say it’s “soft where you want it and firm where you need it.”
Purple Hybrid Mattress Sleeper Types
The Purple Hybrid mattress was designed to accommodate people of all sleeping types — back, stomach, side and combo. The Purple Grid adapts to your body, reducing pressure points and providing support where needed.
In our opinion, Purple beds are better than Saatva for side sleepers. The Hyper-Elastic Polymer top layer on the Purple mattress does a great job of cradling your hips and shoulders when you’re on your side. In fact, Purple even made our list of Best Mattresses For Side Sleepers.
Overall, the Purple mattress is softer and more accommodating for people who spend a lot of time on their side.
Purple Hybrid Pros And Cons
- Flexible, soft and responsive Hyper-Elastic Polymer top that has a gel-like feel
- Supportive and provides pressure relief
- Limited motion transfer
- Higher price point
- Shorter trial period than Saatva
- Shorter warranty than Saatva
Other Purple Hybrid products.
Purple Hybrid Reviews
- BBB rating: A+. Purple gets a two-star rating from the Better Business Bureau based on 75 customer reviews.
- Amazon reviews: The Purple Hybrid mattress is not available on Amazon.
Purple vs. Saatva review verdict.
Hopefully, we’ve helped with your decision on Saatva vs. Purple Hybrid. If not, ask yourself a few questions:
- What’s your budget? If you’re on a tight budget, the Saatva Classic may be a better choice.
- What type of feel do you like? Saatva gives you a more traditional mattress feel. But, if you’re tired of innerspring or foam mattresses or want to try something completely different, go with Purple.
- How much time do you spend sleeping on your side? If it’s a lot, go with a Purple mattress.
- Are you a hot sleeper? If so, we give Purple the slight edge.
We hope this comparison on Purple vs. Saatva was helpful.
Shipping, Returns, Trial Periods, And Warranties
Online mattress companies make it extremely easy for consumers. If you’ve never bought a mattress online before, don’t worry, it’s not as scary as you think. Here are how the policies compare:
- Shipping: Both companies offer free shipping. Saatva will also remove your old mattress with white-glove delivery. Purple will arrive rolled up and compressed in a protective bag.
- Returns: Both companies use a third-party service to remove the mattress for you. Purple does the returns for free. Saatva charges $99.
- Trial period: Saatva offers 180 nights. Purple offers 100.
- Warranty period: Purple offers ten years, while Saatva offers 15.