Casper vs Zinus
While both mattress companies are popular with consumers, they have different histories. Youn Jae Lee started Zinus way back in 1979, initially producing tents and other outdoor products in Seoul, South Korea. In 2004, the company released its first bedding products, opening facilities across the United States and China. In contrast, Casper is a much younger company, launching in 2014 after raising $1.6 million in seed funding — before even producing its first mattress. In 2020, Casper went public, using the ticker CSPR on the New York Stock Exchange.
Zinus vs Casper Overview
Why would you buy Zinus over Casper or vice versa? We endeavor to answer that question in this review. Below are a few overlapping items for both Zinus and Casper.
- Free shipping — Most people buy Zinus on Amazon and Casper on the company’s online store. Either way, you should get free shipping.
- Foam design — Zinus is a memory foam bed, while Casper is a neutral-foam (or classic soft foam) bed. Even so, both are technically foam mattresses.
- Side sleepers — Both brands can accommodate side sleepers with ease. They are both soft but supportive enough for other sleep styles too.
There are other commonalities, but those are the largest items. For the relative advantages of each mattress, continue reading the Zinus vs Casper breakdown below.
Why Casper Is The Better Mattress
We do consider Casper to be the nicer of the two beds. As you’d imagine then, there are numerous reasons why it will be preferable to Zinus.
Casper Has A Soft Foam Feel
Zinus Green Tea has a true memory foam feel. Casper, on the other hand, might use memory foam, but it doesn’t feel at all like a memory foam bed.
In fact, Casper just feels like 11″ of softer foam. It’s tremendously comfortable and accommodating. Casper will work for all sleep styles and most people.
Casper is the bed by which we judge all other beds, at least in the firmness arena. Casper is a true medium, meaning it’s not “soft” or “firm,” but rather right in between.
Whether you’re a side, back, stomach or combination sleeper, Casper is a suitable pick. Of course, firmness does depend on your weight, but the average American should be happy with Casper.
Casper Hybrid vs Zinus Green Tea
The standard Casper mattress and Zinus Green Tea are foam mattresses; however, Casper also has an “upgrade” option for you. For around $200 more, you can change the flagship Casper bed into a hybrid mattress. You can see the hybrid option on Casper.com.
One interesting element to the Casper mattress is something the brand calls “Zoned Support,” meaning it’s somewhat firmer and more supportive under your hips and waist area. It’s also more pressure relieving primarily under your shoulders. You will see this Zoned Support System on Casper and Casper Hybrid. It’s pretty neat. You most likely won’t feel it, but it’s the type of forward-thinking that a lot of people associate with Casper.
Casper Pros And Cons
- Extremely comfortable
- Works for all sleep styles
- Designed to relieve pressure under your shoulders
- More expensive than Zinus
- Not the best choice for especially heavy individuals
- Not ideal if you prefer super-firm mattresses
Other Casper Products
Casper Mattress Reviews
- BBB rating: Casper holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, and the company has been a BBB-accredited business since 2015.
- Amazon reviews: The vast majority of reviewers on Amazon report that they are satisfied with their Casper purchase, with some customers writing that their mattress has helped relieve back and shoulder pain.
Why Zinus Might Be Better Than Casper
This is a soft memory foam bed that has gained notoriety mostly because it’s affordable. As such, the #1 reason to get the Zinus Green Tea mattress is the price. Some people also appreciate Zinus’ soft, sink-in feeling. It’s not for everyone, but there’s a large cohort of consumers that will prefer Zinus.
Last we checked, the bed was available in the following height options on Amazon:
- 6″ Green Tea — Made primarily for kids, RVs, car camping, etc. Adults should not get this model. Usually around $150 for the queen.
- 8″ Green Tea — Essentially the same story as the 6″ model, however, petite adults will be fine. Queen size typically is around $250.
- 10″ Green Tea — Most adults under 230 lbs will be fine. This is a really soft MF bed. Expect to pay around $275 for the queen.
- 12″ Green Tea — The most popular height profile on Amazon—it’s usually around $300. If you plan to keep it for a while, the 12″ makes the most sense probably.
Contrast those prices with Casper, which is usually around $1,000 for the queen-size (after discount). To be clear, Casper is what we’d called “affordable” while Zinus is safely in the “cheap” tier.
Memory Foam Feel
Fans of memory foam will likely prefer the Green Tea mattress from Zinus. It has a deep, sink-in feel that wraps your body.
Zinus will have a more divisive feel than Casper because of it’s soft, viscose foam. Some people will love it (even more if they look at the price tag) and others will find it too syrupy.
The individuals for whom Zinus is best include: petite individuals, kids, teens, and strict side sleepers. The bed is made in China and shipped to the United States, but still has the CertiPUR-US certification.
Zinus Pros And Cons
- Ideal for side sleepers
- Good at isolating motion, so you won’t be disturbed if your partner is an active sleeper
- Some buyers find it difficult to return the mattresses after their trial period
- Not suitable for heavier folks
- Not the best fit for chronic hot sleepers
Other Zinus Products
Zinus Mattress Reviews
- BBB rating: Zinus has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau, with several listed complaints saying that the company’s free trial and return policies are misleading. Zinus is not a BBB-accredited business.
- Amazon reviews: Amazon users who have purchased a Zinus Green Tea mattress are generally happy, enjoying the feel of the memory foam and the budget-friendly prices.
Zinus Mattress vs Casper Company Policies
There isn’t much difference between Zinus Mattress vs. Casper. Like many other bed-in-a-box companies, both Casper and Zinus offer 100-night risk-free trials for customers to try out the mattresses at home. If you don’t love your bed, you’re free to send it back for a full refund within the trial period time frame. As another bonus, all mattress orders ship for free.
Plus, if you have trouble with your Casper or Zinus mattress down the line, both companies also offer a 10-year limited warranty.
Casper Can’t Beat Zinus Prices
When it comes to Zinus vs. Casper, there are several notable differences, with the Casper mattress emerging as the clear winner. With that said, the Zinus Green Tea mattress is still a good option if you’re looking for a memory foam bed on a tight budget.
Zinus Mattress vs Casper Prices
|King / Cal King||$410||$1,295|
When purchased through the official company website or an authorized retailer, your Casper or Zinus mattress purchase includes a risk-free trial that lasts 100 days from the time you receive the delivery. If you decide that you don’t like your new mattress, you can return it for a full refund within that 100-day trial period.
Casper operates stores all over the United States, so you can find a showroom near you and try out and buy a mattress in person. Zinus beds can only be purchased online through the website and retailers like Amazon and Walmart.
Casper frequently runs sales, so check for a promo code before making a purchase. If you’re shopping for a Zinus bed, look at the different prices offered by various sellers on Amazon.
You’ll need some kind of support underneath your mattress, but it doesn’t necessarily have to come in the form of a box spring. Some bed frames and foundations include a built-in box spring for added mattress support and height. If yours doesn’t, you can use a traditional box spring or wooden slats to enhance stability.