Bear Hybrid Mattress Review
Bear Hybrid is the company's best mattress, and it could be the right fit for you
Last Updated: January 27, 2021Jeff Rizzo
In this review we cover the major pros and cons of the Bear Hybrid mattress, including construction, sleeper type, temperature regulation and much more. The short story though with Bear Hybrid is that it's a soft and very comfortable mattress with plenty of bounce and support.
- Free Shipping & Returns
- 100 Nights Trial Period
- 20 Years Warranty
- Made in USA
20% OffClaim Discount
If you’re interested in a hybrid mattress
Those on a thinner budget
People that want a really soft bed
Bear Hybrid Mattress Overview
Bear Hybrid is a solid medium firmness mattress that has a lot of features you would see in a luxury hotel bed, but for a better price than you would expect. For context, about a year ago, Bear changed this mattress (in a good way), which has made bear hybrid mattress user reviews even more positive. This review has been updated to reflect the new changes. Here’s what’s new with the updated Bear Hybrid mattress.
- Foams: The bed has some new foams, but the feel should be the same
- Coils: Instead of using 2.5″ micro-coils, the new Bear Hybrid will have 8″ pocketed coils. This provides a lot more support long term, especially for heavier individuals.
- Edge support: The bed has way better edge support this go-around.
- Thickness: The bed is now 14″ thick, not 14.5″ as it was previously.
- Certifications: Bear Hybrid is CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold Certified by the UL Environment (one of the most difficult certifications to achieve for a bed).
You can use these links to jump to any section in our Bear hybrid mattress reviews:
Honest Bear Hybrid Mattress Review Video
Bear Hybrid Construction And Design
- Support layer — The base layer is a dense support foam.
- Coil layer — The coils are individually encased and provide even more support to help sleepers maintain proper spinal alignment. Previously, the bed had micro-coils, but now we have 8″ coils that will provide more bounce and durability.
- Transition layer — The coil layer is topped by a transition foam.
- Comfort foam — This adds a little more to the transition layer so you don’t feel the coils even if you walk on the mattress.
- Gel layer — Next is a layer of gel memory foam that allows for better airflow than traditional memory foam—it also works as a pressure-relieving layer, something almost all Bear mattress hybrid reviews seem to love.
The combination of coils and comfort foam top layers makes the Bear Hybrid a supportive but still softer-feeling bed. The layers total up to a 14″ mattress, which is a thicker bed than most. That thickness boosts durability and prevents heavier folks from bottoming out the bed (something nobody wants to deal with).
Bear Mattress Cover
The cover on Bear Hybrid is made of a thick, quilted Celliant material. Celliant is a technology sourced from natural minerals that are supposed to take your body’s heat energy and reflect it back as infrared light. This is to help increase circulation and oxygen in the muscle tissue. The idea is to give your body an extra health boost while you sleep. You can learn more about Celliant here on Bear’s website.
The cover is removable, but there isn’t much reason to because it isn’t machine washable. If you do need to do some cleanup, you can spot clean with warm water and mild detergent. Just dab at the spot or spill until it comes out.
If you’re especially concerned about frequent messes, consider a mattress protector. A mattress protector is convenient because you can take it off and put it through a wash cycle. However, mattress protectors can sometimes stifle the airflow through your mattress and might change the surface feel of the bed. If you’re still interested in adding a protector to your bed, you can find some affordable mattress protectors on Amazon or you can try out the protector that Bear offers.
Sizes And Dimensions
- Twin — 39″ x 75″ x 14″
- Twin XL — 39″ x 80″ x 14″
- Full — 54″ x 75″ x 14″
- Queen — 60″ x 80″ x 14″
- King — 76″ x 80″ x 14″
- Cal King — 72″ x 84″ x 14″
Feel And Firmness
The Bear Hybrid is a hands-down comfortable mattress. While some hybrid beds feel predominantly like their foam layers, this one feels more like a traditional innerspring with a nice, soft and thick pillow top. That means you’re getting some of that bounce you may be used to, plus cushiony softness on top, without compromising on support.
On our firmness scale, we rate this mattress as a medium. This is the most typical firmness for online mattresses, as it allows the mattress to appeal to the greatest number of people.
When it comes to responsiveness, the Bear Hybrid performs well. It quickly bounces back into shape after being depressed. Responsiveness is an important feature to consider if you don’t like to feel stuck or too settled into your mattress.
If responsiveness is slow, you’ll find it harder to turn over during the night and may feel more restless. There’s no need to worry about any of that with this mattress.
Overall, when it comes to couples, this mattress is going to be a great option. If you think about the feel, firmness level, edge support and motion isolation, it has a lot of the components that you want in a bed for two individuals.
Is Bear Hybrid A Good Mattress For Couples?
If you’re sharing a bed, you want to look for a mattress that can make that as easy and comfortable as possible.
Edge support is one of the factors to consider when sharing a bed, especially a smaller one, like a full or twin XL. If the edge support of your mattress is lacking, you’ll get that roll-off feeling when you get too close to the edge of the bed, which significantly reduces the usable sleep space.
In the past, we weren’t impressed by the edge support of Bear Hybrid. However, with the recent updates, the bed has substantially improved edge support. As such, you can use the entire surface of the bed for sleeping.
Motion transfer control is another factor that’s important for couples. Motion transfer refers to the way a mattress sends motion from one side of the bed to the other. For those sharing a bed, you want to have that transfer of motion isolated so one partner isn’t jostled awake by the other turning over or getting up in the middle of the night.
Bear Hybrid does a good job of deadening that cross-bed motion, especially considering that this is a coil mattress.
Sleeper And Body Type Analysis
In our reviews, our general recommendations on firm and comfort are based on the average body size. However, because your weight and sleeping position has such a big influence on how a mattress feels, we have this section of our bear mattress reviews hybrid as an analysis of how all different sleepers will feel on this bed.
Back And Stomach Sleepers
This mattress will work for back and stomach sleepers. Even though it isn’t a particularly firm bed, the coils still offer plenty of support for keeping the spine in proper alignment.
A lot of this depends on your body weight, but the average person should have no problem sleeping on their back or stomach on Bear Hybrid. Because the bed now has the taller coils, we think most individuals will be fine sleeping on their back or stomach. Of course, if you want a firm mattress, Bear Hybrid isn’t the one.
Bear Hybrid is also good for side and combo sleepers as well. Because it isn’t overly firm and it has the softer, pillow-top feel on top of the coils, it offers an appropriate amount of pressure relief.
Pressure relief is needed to compensate the protrusions of your shoulder and hip while sleeping on your side. Again, the idea is to keep your spine in alignment.
The majority of the pressure relief for this bed comes from the gel memory foam layer. The Comfort Foam layer below the gel memory foam is soft but is a lot more responsive.
Heavy And Petite Sleepers
How much you weigh does affect the way you experience a mattress. The heavier you are, the softer a mattress will feel, and vice versa. We think the Bear Hybrid will be comfortable for all body types, as long as it suits your comfort and sleeping preferences.
Bear Hybrid Price And Coupon Code
In terms of how the Bear Hybrid compares to other beds in the industry, it’s priced at a fairly middle-ground level. This isn’t a cheap mattress, but we wouldn’t call it particularly expensive either. Bear is one of those brands that makes the best bed for your money, so you can know you’re getting a good deal. You can see a breakdown of the pre-discount pricing in the table below.
Is There A Bear Hybrid Mattress Coupon Code?
You can save 20% on your purchase with code SY20.
Bear Hybrid Mattress Review Verdict
There’s a lot to consider with a new mattress, but if you know you want a responsive, durable, comfy mattress, Bear Hybrid should be on your shortlist of beds to try out. Here are the main things that makes the Bear Hybrid mattress stand out:
- Celliant cover — We believe there is something special about the cover. We tend to get consistently good sleep on Bear mattresses, and we think part of that could be the Celliant cover.
- Accommodating feel — This is the type of mattress that almost everyone will like. It might not satisfy everything someone wants in a bed, it’s hard to point to anything negative about the mattress. It’s comfortable, neutral, supportive and non-alienating. We would go as far as to say probably 70% of people will like the Bear Hybrid mattress.
- 8″ coils — We love the support, durability and bounce that comes with the pocketed coils. While we generally don’t recommend a coil bed to light sleepers, Bear Hybrid isn’t a bad option.
All in all, this is a nice mattress at an affordable price point. We have no shortage of positive things to say about this bed, and other Bear Hybrid mattress user reviews tend to agree.
Other Beds From Bear
Bear Hybrid vs Bear
We’ve noticed that some people are confused about the difference between the original Bear Mattress and Bear Hybrid.
Bear Mattress is an all-foam bed. Bear Hybrid takes the gel memory foam and Celliant cover and adds 8″ pocketed coils and a quilted cover. Bear Hybrid is more bouncy and responsive, not to mention it has better edge support. Because Bear Hybrid has coils, it is the better option for heavier individuals. We typically don’t recommend individuals in the 230-250 lb range (or more) purchase an all-foam bed, but the Bear Hybrid is an option.
Bear Hybrid is more expensive than Bear Mattress by a few hundred dollars, but the extra support and durability may make it worth it for some people.
Bear Hybrid Ratings
- BBB Rating: Bear has an A- rating with the BBB.
- Amazon Reviews: Bear mattresses score a 3.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Many buyers who say they’re very active and often experience exercise-related pain have found that sleeping on the Bear mattress alleviates some of that.
Other Bear Products
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
Bear Mattress Policies
When it comes to shipping, trial periods, returns and warranties, most bed-in-a-box or online mattress companies have standard policies. Here is how Bear does things:
- Shipping — Shipping is free. Despite the fact that Bear Hybrid is a thick and durable mattress, it ships compressed and rolled up in a box. All you have to do is remove the packaging and arrange the bed on your foundation. From there, it will inflate.
- Trial period and returns — you can get a 100 percent refund after sleeping on Bear Hybrid for 30 nights if you decide that it’s not for you as long as you return the bed during the trial period. This should be more than enough time to allow your body to adjust to the mattress.
- Warranty — Bear Mattress gives you a 20-year warranty. Most brands—including giants like Tempur-Pedic and Beautyrest—only back their beds with a 10-year warranty. Needless to say, we like that Bear doubles what is standard in the mattress industry.
We were sent this mattress from Bear so we could create this review. We did not accept any monetary compensation from Bear or any other brand in exchange for making this review. Our team reviews products independently.
Different bodies need different adjustment periods. Bear wants to be sure you take enough time to adjust to your new sleep surface. Basically, the company doesn’t want you to buy the mattress, try it for a couple nights, not sleep well and call them up to make a return before giving your body a chance to get used to the new bed.
If you decide to return your bed, the company will most likely arrange for a charity to pick up the mattress. Bear tries to donate the lightly used beds whenever possible to avoid the waste of sending them to a landfill.
Yes. We think this is a comfortable mattress if you like a pillow top feel.
It’s about a 5/10 on the firmness scale, making it good for all sleeping positions.
No, you don’t have to flip this mattress. The layers are constructed to be one-sided, so flipping wouldn’t make sense. Plus, it’s already a thick mattress, which helps with durability. However, Bear says you can rotate the mattress every six months to keep it in tip-top shape even longer.
Bear has a showroom in Hoboken, NJ, as well as two partner locations in Austin, TX, and McLean, VA, where you can try the mattresses.
Bear often rotates sales that include a percent off or even free pillows. Keep an eye on Bear’s social media pages for notification of a sale or check the website.