The Simmons Beautyrest mattress line is one of the most luxurious bed collections on the market. Beds from Beautyrest look beautiful, feel amazingly comfortable, and are built to be long-lasting.
They also offer a ton of different models. Some are exclusively online, while others are available in stores all over the country. In these Beautyrest mattress reviews, we break down the different bed models and explore who we think would love them the most.
Beautyrest Line Mattress Overview
Surprise! You’re not just getting a review of the original Beautyrest mattress. In this Beautyrest mattress review, we’re going to talk about about two of the most popular beds from Beautyrest.
|Special Features||Queen Price||Options||Materials|
|Beautyrest Black Original||Back or stomach sleepers||Despite being made with memory foam, it has a foam feel anyone can enjoy.||Queen: $2,699||Standard: 13” thick||Pocketed coils, plush foam, medium comfort foam, Energy foam, and Beautyrest Gel memory foam|
|Beautyrest Hybrid||Back, stomach, and combo sleepers||Special BlackICE Cooling cover that’s great for hot sleepers.||Queen: $2,599||Standard: 13.5” thick||Pocketed coils, transition foam, gel memory foam, and BlackICE cooling cover|
Honest Beautyrest Mattress Review
Beautyrest Black Original Mattress
The Beautyrest Black Original bed is an impressive all-around bed. It’s great for couples, thanks to the BeautyEdge coils around the perimeter of the bed. The foam layers that make up the bed give it plenty of pressure relief and spinal alignment benefits. The biggest thing that you get from this bed is support—it’s there in spades.
It’s available as a base model, cooling model, and a cooling/comfort model. We like the variety this line offers; you get to choose which model best fits your sleeping needs. For instance, if you’re a particularly hot sleeper, you should opt for the C-Class cooling model of the Beautyrest Black mattress.
Beautyrest Black Original Construction And Design
If you’re looking for a luxury hybrid mattress that also performs well in terms of pressure relief, edge support, and motion isolation, then look no further than the Beautyrest Black Original bed.
Let’s talk construction. The Black Original from Beautyrest is a 13” mattress. It’s a hybrid bed, so you get multiple layers of foam and a supportive pocketed coil base. Let’s take a closer look at the layers that make up this bed:
- T3 pocketed coils with edge support reinforcements: Each coil in the Black Original bed is individually encased. There are BeautyEdge reinforced springs around the edge of the bed that give it really durable edges.
- 1/2” Plush Comfort Foam: The top layer of the Beautyrest Black bed is a plush layer of foam. When you lay on it, this layer cradles around you.
- 1” Medium Comfort Foam: This layer is slightly firmer than the one above it, but it still provides ample pressure relief.
- 1 1/2” Energy Foam: The polyfoam layer is specifically targeted to help distribute the weight of heavier sleepers.
- 1/2” Beautyrest Gel Memory Foam: The layer of foam before the coils is a firm layer of gel memory foam. The gel is supposed to help move heat away from you while you sleep.
- Antimicrobial HeiQ V-Block cover: Sadly, the cover of this bed is not removable. You’ll need to spot clean as needed.
Beautyrest Black Original Firmness And Feel
- Firmness: The Black Original bed is fairly firm. It’s what we’d call a medium-firm on our scale. We think this bed is a good pick for the average sleeper, especially if you’re a stomach or back sleeper who needs a bed that can support your spine.
- Feel: Honestly, it feels like a foam hybrid mattress. It technically has memory foam but doesn’t feel like memory foam. It has a familiar overall feel, which is comfortable.
Beautyrest Black Original Pricing
When comparing the Beautyrest Original Black vs. Beautyrest Hybrid, there isn’t too much of a difference from a price point. You can expect to pay $100 more for the Black Original in every size.
Sleeper Type Analysis
- Side Sleeper
Side sleepers tend to sink their shoulders and hips into the mattress. The firmness level of the Beautyrest Black Original sits at a medium firmness and it does have layers of foam, so it is a good choice for side sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds.
If you are a side sleeper that weighs over 230 pounds, you may not feel the support you need.
- Stomach Sleeper
The Beautyrest Black Original mattress has a medium firm feel so it provides support and comfort for stomach sleepers who are under 230 pounds.
- Back Sleeper
This mattress has a coil support base that prevents sinking into the mattress and keeps the spine aligned. We found back sleepers over 230 pounds usually prefer a firmer mattress in order to keep the lower back properly supported. We think is mattress is a great choice for back sleepers who are 130-230 pounds.
Beautyrest Hybrid Mattress
The Beautyrest Hybrid is an online-only mattress from Beautyrest. This bed combines memory foam and coils for a supportive and comfortable feel that slowly responds to pressure.
Beautyrest Hybrid Construction And Design
The Beautyrest Hybrid mattress is a pretty solid bed that’s good for pretty much every sleeper style and body type. That’s why we love hybrids — everyone can sleep on one.
- T3 Pocketed coils with edge support reinforcements: The main support level of the Beautyrest Hybrid is a pocketed coil layer. They are individually wrapped, allowing them to move by themselves and give you a nice, responsive feel.
- 1″ Transition foam: The transition layer of this bed is polyfoam. It’s firmer than the layers of foam above it, but that means it’s responsive when you lay on it.
- 2″ Gel memory foam: You get the pressure relief you expect from the 2” gel memory foam layer.
- 1″ Gel memory foam: When you lay on the Beautyrest bed, you sink in and the memory foam reaches up to cradle you.
- BlackICE Cooling cover: The neat thing about the Beautyrest hybrid mattress is that the cover is made with a special cooling material.
Beautyrest Hybrid Firmness And Feel
- Firmness: We’d consider the Beautyrest Hybrid bed a medium-firm on our scale, meaning it will work for most sleeping styles. It’s not the best plush mattress ever, but it’s also not supposed to be. It’s designed to be a supportive mattress with comfort layers that are accommodating. And we think it achieves just that.
- Feel: We think it works best for back, stomach, and combination sleepers. Side sleepers should probably opt for one of the softer model upgrades.
Beautyrest Hybrid Pricing
There’s no denying that the Simmons Beauty Rest Hybrid mattress skews towards the more pricier spectrum. Then again, it is a luxury bed and the price rightfully reflects so. If budget is not a dealbreaker for you, we do think this mattress is worth the price since it does feel luxurious compared to traditional mattresses.
Sleeper Type Analysis
- Side Sleeper
The combination of foam and pocketed coils mean allow your shoulders and hips to sink into the mattress and give proper spinal alignment.
We think side sleepers will like this mattress since it provides adequate pressure relief.
- Stomach Sleeper
Since stomach sleepers usually prefer firmer beds, this model may be too soft for most stomach sleepers. Sleepers who weigh less than 130 pounds might find this model good, but stomach sleepers on the heavier side might want to go with a firmer mattress.
- Back Sleeper
We rate this mattress at about a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale. We think that may not be firm enough for most back sleepers because of its lack of support.
Beautyrest Bed Final Verdict
Every bed in the Beautyrest mattress line each offers strong quality components at a range of price points. When it comes to crowning a winner, we think it depends on the price you want to pay, your sleeping position, and the type of feel you’re going for.
We like all the beds, but let’s cut to the chase: not every bed is good for every person. Below we’ll call out the best bed for certain distinguishing factors:
- If you like a memory foam feel: go with the Beautyrest Black Hybrid bed.
- If you’re a hot sleeper: you’ll love the cooling cover of the Beautyrest Hybrid. You can also opt for the cooling model of the Beautyrest Black mattress.
Our Top Pick
Other Beautyrest Beds
Beautyrest Harmony Mattress
If you are looking for a more budget-friendly option from Beautyrest, the Harmony mattress may be just what you are looking for. Retailing at about $999, the Harmony mattresses also offer individually wrapped coils. This is a technology is mostly preferred because it allows the coils to provide better support. Beautyrest partnered with Seaqual to offer a unique sustainable fabric for each Beautyrest Harmony mattress. Seaqual is known leader in ocean plastic recovery and upcycling efforts. This mattress is pretty soft, so we’d recommend it to side sleepers.
This model also comes in the Harmony Lux Carbon, Harmony Lux Diamond, and Harmony Lux Hybrid.
How We Test The Mattresses
- My Slumber Yard
My Slumber Yard has been around since the beginning of the bed-in-a-box craze. Our team has personally tested over 175 mattresses so far, and we keep more than 150 beds in our office so we can compare them (and take afternoon naps).
When testing mattresses, we evaluate the following factors:
Construction: We cut mattresses open to see what’s inside and how it’s made.
Feel: We check if it has a stuck-in-the-mud memory foam feel, or if it’s more of a neutral foam or a plush pillow top, etc.
Firmness: We have our own firmness scale and evaluate how that may vary depending on your body and sleeper type.
Pressure relief: We test what’s the sweet spot for different body and sleeper types.
Edge Support: This is important for couples who share a bed. Would you roll-out of the bed, or can you sleep confidently close to the edges?
Motion Isolation: We use the water glass test to see how the bed fares with motion transfer. This is another important factor for couples that don’t want to wake up one another when they move.
Temperature Regulation: We use a temperature gun to evaluate if the bed warms up, stays neutral, or actively cools while you are sleeping.
Noise: This could be an issue in beds with coils or innerspring.
Off-Gassing: Some beds could have a smell for a few weeks after unpacking, and we try to warn you about it.
Company policies: We also take into account policies such as shipping, returns, trial period, and warranty.
Value: We look at a bed’s price in the context of what it offers in terms of features and quality of materials and construction.
Yes! We think every mattress in the Simmons Beautyrest line is good. They are versatile, durable beds that nearly every sleeper can like. And if you have specific preferences or needs, the variety in the mattresses they offer has something for everyone.
Generally, we recommend that you replace your mattress every 7 to 10 years. Some memory foam mattresses may last a little longer than that, but generally, a Beautyrest mattress will have a lifespan of about seven years.
We think Beautyrest mattresses are good options for people with back pain because of their supportive innerspring design. If you have back pain, you likely will want to opt for a firmer model of the Beautyrest Black Natasha. Or the Beautyrest Original mattress or even their hybrid.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team