Brentwood Home Oceano Overview
Brentwood Home might not be as familiar of a mattress brand as big players in the bed-in-a-box world like Tempur-Pedic or Casper, but it deserves to be. In fact, Brentwood Oceano mattress reviews widely regard it as one of the best available hybrid beds for side sleepers.
If you’re curious about anything specific in our Brentwood mattress review, you can use the links below:
Brentwood Home Oceano Hybrid Construction
The Brentwood Home Oceano is a hybrid mattress, meaning it incorporates both foam and coils. Specifically, the Oceano uses layers of gel memory foam and pocketed coils to create a mattress that offers both support and pressure relief.
The construction of the mattress is broken down as follows:
- Support layer — The bed starts with 8” of individually wrapped base coils.
- Brentwood’s AirLux foam — This 1″ layer of proprietary foam is designed to provide pressure relief.
- Micro-coils —These individually wrapped coils provide support and excellent responsiveness.
- Memory foam — This 2″ layer is CertiPUR-US certified gel memory foam, which means it’s non-toxic and has low VOC. It’s eco-friendly and has some cooling properties in it.
- Top layer — On top is New Zealand wool topped with a Tencel fiber cover. Wool often responds well to the temperature around it, so it won’t heat up in the summer or get cold in the winter.
The materials that go into the Oceano are a large part of why you’ll be paying out your eco-conscious nose for this bed.
By law, every mattress is required to include a flame retardant component. Most mattresses will use a chemical barrier. Brentwood uses natural hydrated silica sand as the fire retardant layer in the Oceano.
Brentwood Home Uses Organic and Natural Materials
The use of natural and sustainable materials not only make the Brentwood Oceano attractive to eco-conscious folks, but also mean the bed doesn’t off-gas as much as other mattresses. We much prefer the fresh, natural scent of the Oceano to that stereotypical chemically smell.
All-in-all, one of the major selling points for the Brentwood Oceano is its attention to earth-friendly details. This is by no means a cheap mattress, and you’re paying for those premium, natural materials. All the materials are sustainably sourced, and the mattress is Greeguard Gold certified, which means it meets the most rigorous standards for low emissions.
Oceano’s Plush Pillow Top Cover
The cover on the Oceano is made with natural, plant-based Tencel fibers. It’s thick and soft to the touch. It isn’t a removable cover, so spot clean it if you spill something.
Sizes And Dimensions
- Twin — 75″L X 39″W X 14″H
- Twin XL — 80″L X 39″W X 14″H
- Full — 75″L X 54″W X 14″H
- Queen — 80″L X 60″W X 14″H
- King — 80″L X 76″W X 14″H
- California king — 84″L X 72″W X 14″H
- Split king — 80″L X 39″W X 14″H (x2)
Oceano Mattress Feel And Firmness
In terms of firmness, this mattress comes in at a medium-soft to medium on our scale. If you’re looking for a bed that isn’t especially firm-feeling but doesn’t feel like a giant hotel pillow either, this is likely in your preferred range.
The top layers of foam keep the bed feeling softer, while the two layers of coils in the bed’s construction mean you aren’t compromising on support.
When it comes to responsiveness, the Oceano is great. It bounces back pretty quickly after being depressed, which means you won’t have any trouble turning over, switching positions or getting out of bed.
Being a hybrid bed, the Oceano has both coils and foam. The construction gives the bed an innerspring feel, topped with a soft, plush, pillow top. It’s a nice balance—a good amount of support, without compromising on comfiness.
Is Brentwood Oceano A Good Mattress For Couples?
We think Brentwood does well in all of the things couples need to be comfortable on the bed.
If you’re sharing a bed (especially a smaller bed, like a full or twin XL), you want to be sure every inch of the mattress is usable sleeping space. Without good edge support, you and your partner can feel confined to the middle of the bed.
The Brentwood Oceano has perfectly fine edge support that we think is considered better than most, thanks to its supportive pocketed coil foundation.
Couples also want to think about how well a bed limits motion transfer. It’s important for those who sleep with a partner, especially if you and your partner are light sleepers. It refers to a bed’s ability to deaden motion across a mattress.
The Oceano does a good job of controlling motion transfer, so you don’t have to worry about causing cross-bed motion when you move around. Go ahead and get up for that midnight snack. Your better half doesn’t have to know. They’ll sleep right through it.
The Brentwood Home website advertises the Oceano as a cool-sleeping bed, but in our experience, it’s a temperature neutral bed. Check out our article on how we grade temperature regulation to find out more about what it is and how we test it.
Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress Sleeper Analysis
Here is how we think Brentwood Home Oceano holds up for each sleeper type and body type.
- Back And Stomach Sleepers
Because the Oceano is around a medium-soft to medium on the firmness scale, it isn’t going to be the absolute best option for back and stomach sleepers unless you’re especially lightweight. If you’re around 150 lb or under, you should be fine sleeping on your stomach or back.
When you sleep on your back and stomach, you need enough firmness and support to keep your spine in proper alignment. Without it, your hips and trunk area can dip too much, causing you to wake up with a sore or stiff back.
- Side And Combo Sleepers
The Brentwood Oceano is a great option for side and combo sleepers. That medium-soft to medium firmness level is going to provide the pressure relief you need for sleeping on your side.
It’s important that your mattress gives around the protrusion of your shoulder and hip. Without that pressure relief, your shoulder and arm can feel squashed into the mattress, causing that pins-and-needles feeling. You may also end up sore from a misaligned spine if you sleep on your side without enough pressure relief.
Body Type Analysis
- Heavy Body Types
The Brentwood Oceano is a solid, thick mattress (a whopping 14.5”), so heavier folks will get the durability they need and won’t have to worry about sinking right through to the bed slats like with a thin mattress.
Because the Oceano is made with two layers of coils, this bed offers plenty of support. When you have a heavier body, it’s important to have that support to prevent uncomfortable sinkage around the hips or shoulders.
- Average Body Types
If you weigh in between around 150 to ~230, this will be a perfectly appropriate mattress for you. It will offer additional support, while also providing ample amount of pressure relief.
- Petite Body Types
Petite sleepers will be comfortable on this bed, as well. Even lightweight folks need support, so those coils are still beneficial. Additionally, the firmness level and pillow top feel keep the bed soft enough for petite build body types to experience a firmer feel than those who weigh more.
Brentwood Oceano Mattress Price
When a company advertises its mattress as being natural and eco-friendly, you can generally bet it’s going to be on the pricier end of the spectrum. The Brentwood Oceano is no exception. You can see a breakdown of the pricing before any discounts in the table below.
|King / Cal King||$1,999|
Brentwood does run occasional deals, so it’s worth checking out BrentwoodHome.com for current promotions and offers.
Brentwood Oceano Review Verdict
Overall, the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is a very nice, very comfortable bed for a lot of people. It’s not our favorite bed for strict back and stomach sleepers, but it will accommodate all body types and will provide the right pressure relief and support for side and combo sleepers.
The Oceano is a comfy mattress that caters to your health, while also caring for the environment, which is why you’ll find it on our Best Natural and Organic Mattresses list. Ultimately, this is a great bed, but it’s going to be most worth it for those who appreciate earth-friendly products.
Other Brentwood Home Beds
While the Oceano is the company’s most popular mattress, they also have several other beds that might be worth looking into.
Unboxing The Ocean Mattress
- Crystal Cove — This is a double-sided hybrid bed with one side that feels firmer and the other that feels softer. The softer side uses charcoal-infused memory foam, while the firmer side uses natural latex foam. The Crystal Cove is also GREENGUARD Gold Certified and 100% Certified Vegan.
- Cypress — This is the entry-level mattress from Brentwood Home. It’s basically a gel memory foam mattress that’s designed for guest rooms, kids, teens, college students or anyone else working with a limited budget. It’s available in an 11″ version (all-foam or hybrid) or a 13″ version (all-foam or hybrid), which is a little more expensive but is slightly softer than the 11″ model.
- Cedar Natural Luxe — This is the company’s natural and organic mattress somewhat similar to Awara or Avocado. It combines pocketed coils, organic cotton, organic wool and coconut husk to make one of the nicest eco-friendly beds on the market. It is also the most expensive bed that Brentwood Home offers.
- Hybrid Latex Mattress — Not to be confused with the Natural Cedar Luxe mattress, the Brentwood Home Hybrid Latex is a somewhat new style of mattress. It’s made entirely with alternative, natural, and recycled materials. For instance, the base of the mattress is made of recycled jeans, while the main comfort layer is a specially designed “zoned” latex foam.
Brentwood Home Oceano Reviews
- BBB Rating: B+
- Amazon Reviews: The small number of reviews indicate people love the comfortable feel of this bed and remark it’s one of the best mattresses available.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team
Brentwood Home Company Policies
When you order a Brentwood Home Mattress, you’re guaranteed a few policies:
- Shipping — Free shipping and white-glove removal of old bed is available
- Trial period —365 days
- Returns — Brentwood requires you to keep the mattress for at least 30 days. This is because your body needs time to adjust to a new sleep surface. After those initial 30 trial days, though, you have the remaining days of the trial period to request a return. The company will send someone to pick up the mattress and you will be issued a full refund.
- Warranty — 25 years
Brentwood Home vs
- Brentwood Oceano vs Casper
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is a hybrid mattress featuring eight-inches of innerspring coils and foam whereas Casper Mattress is strictly foam based. Not surprisingly, this plays a huge role in the cost difference between the two.
If you’re looking for a queen size mattress, the Brentwood Home Oceano cost $1,495 whereas Casper retails for $1,095. Therefore, while both do a great job accommodating different sleeping positions and body types, which one you choose depends on how much you want to spend and how much support you want from your bed.
- Brentwood Home Oceano vs Purple
Both beds are hybrid but are distinctively unique in their own ways. While Brentwood Home Oceano is one of the few beds who offer eight inches of innerspring coils in the base, Purple Mattress is constructed with Hyper-Elastic Polymer, which gives the bed a gel-like feeling and incredible airflow.
When comparing Brentwood Home Oceano vs Purple price wise, BH will cost you $1,495 whereas Purple Mattress starts around $1,150. Both beds are great for side, back and stomach sleepers. The main difference, aside from the price, is in breathability as Purple is one of the cooler beds we’ve tested.
We were sent these mattresses by Brentwood Home in order to create this review. We did not accept any monetary compensation from Brentwood Home or any other brand to say good or bad things about the beds. We review products independently.
You can put the Oceano mattress on any surface, so whatever you’ve already got is going to work just fine. That includes adjustable frames, box springs, slatted bases, platforms, the floor of your bedroom—it all works.
Tencel is a plant-based fiber that is natural and sustainable. It’s a breathable fabric that feels smooth to the touch. Perhaps the biggest appeal of Tencel is how earth-friendly both the source materials and production process are.
No, you don’t. Brentwood’s trial period and return policies are only applicable to purchases made directly through Brentwood. The company cannot uphold their policies when you purchase through an outside vendor because each vendor has their own return terms.
Brentwood Home makes premium mattresses. They’re not considered budget beds by any means, but they’re also not absurdly expensive either. We’d say Brentwood Home mattresses are fairly priced.
Yes, all Brentwood mattresses come with free shipping and returns. Customers will also receive a 365 night risk-free sleep trial, which is much longer than the industry standard.
Firmness will vary depending on the Brentwood Home mattress you choose, but in general, their beds are quite comfortable and accommodating.
They are all made in California.