Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Review
Purple's Hybrid Premier mattress, formally known as Purple 3, is a coil mattress that combines several different types of materials.
Last Updated: September 29, 2020Matt Ross
Over the last several years, Purple has quickly become a household name in the online mattress space. Their popularity has skyrocketed in large part due to their patented Hyper-Elastic Polymer, which they use as the top layer on all their beds. In this post, we'll break down everything you need to know about the Purple.3 mattress, including feel, firmness and temperature regulation.
w/ Mattress Purchase
- Free Shipping & Returns
- 100 Nights Trial Period
- 10 Years Warranty
- Made in USA
Free GiftsClaim Free Gift
If you’re looking for a unique, responsive mattress with a different type of feel
All types of sleepers and body types
Shoppers with a budget under $2,000
Individuals who prefer traditional memory foam beds
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Review Outline
The original Purple Mattress has become increasingly popular over the years thanks to its uncommon yet very comfortable Hyper-Elastic Polymer design, but now, buyers now have the opportunity to purchase extra supportive and comfortable Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress that accommodate all body types with their pocketed coil construction.
In this review, we’ll reveal the most notable highlights of the Purple Hybrid Premier mattresses, so continue on to find out of this mattress is right for you and your budget.
Jump-To Links For This Purple 3 Review:
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Pricing
The Purple Premier Hybrid 3 mattress is expensive. There’s no getting around it. However, given the high-quality construction of the bed, we’re not all that surprised. Here’s how pricing breaks down by size.
Unfortunately, Purple isn’t big on offering coupon codes or promo codes to make its beds more affordable. However, Purple is almost always running some sort of promotion where you get a free gift (pillow, sheets, etc.) with each mattress purchase. Check Purple.com to see what the company is currently offering.
Purple 3 Mattress Design And Construction
The Purple 3 mattress has several types of materials and is 12″ thick. Here is how the layers work:
- Polyurethane foam: The bed has a 1” layer of dense polyurethane foam to serve as the bed’s foundation.
- Support coils: The bed has individually wrapped 7.5” coils to support the bed and give it some bounce.
- Hyper-Elastic Polymer: In the original Purple 3, the bed had 3” of this material. The new version, Purple Hybrid Premier, combines Purple 3 and 4, letting you choose whether you’d like three or four inches. This gel-like material is soft, flexible and responsive.
If you’re worried about getting the cover dirty, you might want to check out Purple’s Mattress Protector, which is machine washable. Alternatively, you can check out popular mattress protectors on Amazon, which tend to be more affordable.
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Firmness
In regard to firmness, it’s difficult to rate Purple beds because the top layer has such unique characteristics, but if pressed, we’d say the Purple 3 mattress comes in around a medium to medium-firm on the firmness scale.
The Hyper-Elastic Polymer is unique in that it’s pressure ieving yet supportive. It’s one of the few mattresses out there where you get the best of both worlds (pressure ief and support), according to many Purple 3 mattress reviews.
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Feel
Purple 3 mattress has a gel-like feel that is unique. As you lay down on the bed, you can feel the polymer top layer compressing, folding and conforming to your body
’s shape. This is thanks to the ultra-responsive Hyper-Elastic Polymer, which snaps back into place immediately after the pressure is eased. The responsive nature of the polymer combined with bounce from the coils means active sleepers will find it easy to switch between positions — you won’t get any of that stuck-in-the-mud feeling with this bed.
While the majority of the Slumber Yard team members like the feel of this mattress, it can feel an odd to certain people. However, according to most Purple mattress reviews, sleepers warm up to the feel and end up loving it.
If you want, you can order samples of Hyper-Elastic Polymer on the company’s website to test it out for yourself. It’s not the exact construction, but it will give you a pretty close idea.
Purple Hybrid Premier 3 Sleeper Type Analysis
We think all Purple beds are good for side sleepers. The Hyper-Elastic Polymer top layer does a great job of cradling your hips and shoulders. Purple likes to steer strict side sleepers toward the 4” model, which has an extra inch of polymer (adds even more pressure ief). However, we think 3” will suffice for most side sleepers. There’s a reason why we included all Purple beds on our Best Beds For Side Sleepers list.
Back And Stomach Sleepers
The Purple 3 mattress provides more than enough support for back and stomach sleepers. Between the coils and the polymer top layer, the areas under your lower back and trunk are always supported.
Sure, your hips sink down a little into the polymer when you’re on your back (which is quite normal) but never to the point where your spine falls out of proper alignment.
Purple states the 3” model is the
ir flagship bed for combo sleepers. As we stated above, the bed finds a nice balance between comfort and support. Plus, the responsive nature of the coils and Hyper-Elastic Polymer make it effortless for active sleepers to shift positions.
Purple 3 Mattress Body Type Analysis
The Purple 3 will provide more than enough support for smaller sized individuals. In all honesty, petite body types could probably save money and go with the flagship Purple mattress. The flagship model will still provide adequate support, yet you’ll still get the benefits of Hyper-Elastic Polymer.
Average-sized sleepers (150 pounds or less) will experience plenty of support from the Purple 3, but because of their lighter size, they may not feel as much of the pressure ieving capabilities these beds can provide.
We generally steer heavier sleepers toward beds with coils, so the Purple Hybrid Premier fits the bill.
Coils are more durable and also provide more support than the dense foams a lot of online mattresses use for their support structure. Coils, as opposed to support foams, provide bi-directional support, which basically means the coils have some give (compress) but also push back against pressure. Beds with coils are better equipped to support all the extra pressure big folks exert on a bed.
Purple Hybrid Premier Performance Ratings
- Off gassing: The mattress has a non-toxic knit barrier that is not chemically treated, and most users report that any scent was minor and dispersed quickly.
- Durability: The coils in the mattress make the bed more durable and long-lasting than its foam counterparts.
- Pressure ief: The polymer top layer of the bed compresses, folds and conforms to the body’s shape, providing pressure ief.
- Motion isolation: The Purple Hybrid Premier absorbs motion so sleepers don’t have to worry about the transfer of movement from one side of the mattress to the other.
- Temperature neutrality: The Hyper-Elastic Polymer is temperature neutral and does not retain and radiate heat, while its grid formation allows air to flow freely.
- Edge support: Thanks to dense foam rails around the perimeter of the bed, coil Purple mattresses provide excellent edge support.
- Noise: The responsive nature of the coils and Hyper-Elastic Polymer in the Purple 3 make it easy for active sleepers to shift in their sleep without making noise.
- Sex: The coils in the Purple 3 provide memory foam users who are used to sinking in their beds with a welcome bounce.
Purple Mattress Temperature Regulation
The Purple 3 is one of the best beds on the market in terms of temperature regulation, a rating you can learn more about in our What is Temperature Regulation? guide. This bed even made our list for the Best Mattresses For Hot Sleepers.
We give the Purple Hybrid Premier that designation for two reasons. First, Hyper-Elastic Polymer is a temperature neutral material. Unlike a lot of common foams, Hyper-Elastic Polymer does not retain and radiate heat. Additionally, all Purple mattress models allow for a lot of airflow. Purple purposely designed the top layer of polymer in a grid formation. By doing so, the top layer has several columns and rows of tiny polymer squares which allows air to flow freely near the top of the bed.
As you can see above, below the cover you’re essentially sleeping on a bunch of tiny pockets of air. All in all, we think Purple beds are an excellent option for sweaty sleepers who heat up at night or who live in a hot climate — and most Purple 3 mattress reviews agree.
Are Purple Beds Good For Couples?
Like we mentioned earlier, the gel-like feel of the polymer top layer can be divisive. Some people swear by it, and some folks find it a little too weird. If you and your partner have different sleeping preferences, you should check out our list of the Best Beds For Couples.
This bed does a decent job of deadening movement. In our tests, we bay noticed any motion transferred from one side of the mattress to the other.
Good motion isolation means one partner won’t be disturbed every time the other partner moves.
The Purple 3 also provides excellent edge support. The coil Purple mattresses use dense foam side rails around the perimeter of the bed.
As a result, there’s very little compression around the edges.
Edge support is important for couples who share a smaller size mattress or who tend to fight over the middle of the bed. A mattress with good edge support means there is more useful surface area for partners to spread out and get comfortable.
Pros And Cons Of The Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress
- Great edge support
- Cooling for hot sleepers
- Responsive and long lasting
- Not everyone loves the gel-like feel
- Heavy to move
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Review Verdict
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again–we are big fans of Purple beds. Hyper-Elastic Polymer provides a multitude of benefits. If price isn’t a big issue, the Purple 3 bed, in our opinion, is one of the Best Mattresses on the market.
Other Purple Beds
In addition to the Purple 3, the company offers three other mattress models:
- Original Purple: The flagship Purple mattress is the company’s most affordable bed. This model uses polyurethane foam for its support structure (as opposed to coils with the coil Purple models).
- New Purple 2: This mattress is similar to the Purple 3 but has 1″ less of the company’s infamous Hyper-Elastic Polymer.
If you want more info on how the Purple beds differ, you can check out our New Purple Mattress Comparison.
Other Purple Reviews
Purple Mattress Ratings
- BBB Rating: A+
- Amazon Reviews: Reviews say this mattress is great for temperature control and super comfortable for most sleepers. Some mattress reviews note that the mattress is heavy and has a distinct feel due to its gel-like layer.
Purple Company Policies
Purple has several customer-friendly policies:
- Trial period length: Purple offers you a 100-night risk-free trial period. If you decide the bed isn’t right for you, contact customer service to arrange for a third party company to come pick up the mattress from your home for no additional fee. Afterwards, the company will give you a full refund.
- Warranty policy: Purple also backs its mattresses with a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping: All Purple mattresses come with free white-glove delivery. A crew will deliver the mattress and set it up for you in your room of choice. The delivery crew will also haul away your old mattress for free.
These policies make it easy to ensure you’ll be satisfied with your purchase.
Purple Company Info
Purple Mattress Physical Store Locations
- Purple Factory Outlet: Salt Lake City, Utah
- Purple HQ Showroom: Lehi, Utah
- Purple mattresses are also available at mattress stores around the country
Purple Mattress Contact Information
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone number: 888.848.8456
Find Purple on Social Media
Purple Hybrid Premier vs Original Mattress
The Purple 3 offers an extra inch of Hyper-Elastic Polymer and has coils for a firmer, longer-lasting mattress that is also more expensive than the Original Purple mattress. Heavier folks will enjoy the added support of the Purple 3, while some Purple mattress reviews state that petite people may get enough support from the Original Purple.
Purple Hybrid Premier vs Casper Mattress
The Purple 3 is more cooling than the less-expensive Casper, and works well for a variety of sleepers (side, back, stomach). The foam feel of the Casper is more familiar and universal than the gel-like feel of the Purple 3, which Purple 3 mattress reviews report is a matter of personal preference.
Purple Hybrid Premier vs Nectar Mattress
The Nectar is great for lovers of memory foam who want an affordable mattress option and don’t mind a bed that can feel on the warm side. The more expensive Purple 3 has a gel-like composition that keeps sleepers cool through the night.
Purple beds are compatible with most adjustable bases, slatted frames and foundations. Just make sure your existing frame can support the weight of your new mattress. It’s recommended you stay away from box springs, though.
The Purple.3 mattress ranges in weight from 91 pounds for a twin XL to 175 pounds for a cal king. As such, you’ll most likely need two people to move this mattress (trust us).
All Purple mattresses are manufactured in the United States.
We anticipate that side sleepers will really like Purple 3.
Purple 3 is about a “medium” on our firmness scale.
The Purple Hybrid is rated as “medium-firm,” while all other Purple mattresses are considered “medium” on our firmness scale.
The Original Purple mattress is best for people who are petite to average in body weight, while the Purple 3 and 4 are for all body types. The Original Purple is supported by foam and is thinner, while the others use coils for support and are thicker.