Puffy Lux Mattress Overview
Puffy is a top-rated mattress brand among the likes of Casper, Nectar, Avocado and Leesa, thanks to its accommodating feel, price and firmness level. Its easy-to-clean machine washable cover feature doesn’t hurt its popularity either (more about that later).
Their beds have shown up on several of our best lists, and their premium Puffy Lux mattress might be the bed you’re looking for to complete your bedroom setup. Though we have to say, it’s not for everyone, including budget shoppers. Below, we’ll discuss why we think you should or shouldn’t purchase the Puffy Lux Mattress.
This Puffy Lux mattress review is an in-depth post, so in order to make it all easily digestible, here’s an overview of what we’ll be covering. Click the links to jump to the appropriate section in this mattress review:
Honest Puffy Lux Mattress Review Video
Our reviews tend to be pretty detailed. If you’re in a rush, you can listen to our team discuss the video for our Puffy Mattress reviews. Alternatively, if you’re in the reading mood, continue along to find out all the major highlights of the Puffy Lux.
Puffy Lux Mattress Construction And Design
The Puffy Lux is an all-foam bed that consists of four layers and totals 12″ thick. Below, you can find an explanation of the layers and what the bed looks like inside!
- Base layer – For the bottom, the bed uses a 7″ layer of dense support foam. This layer serves as the foundation for the mattress.
- Transition layer – On top of the support foam is a 2″ layer of what the company calls its “Climate Comfort Foam”. Don’t let the fancy terminology fool you, this layer is just there to act as a transition from the firm foam below.
- Comfort layer – Next, the bed uses a 1.5″ layer of what the company calls its “Body Adapting Dual Cloud Foam”. This layer is actually exclusive to the Puffy Lux mattress. It’s designed to contour to your body’s shape and provide deep pressure relief.
- Comfort layer – Finally, on top is a 1.5″ layer of what the company calls its “Cooling Cloud Foam.” Again, no need to pay special attention to the name, this layer serves as the true comfort layer for the mattress. It’s gel-infused and feels eerily similar to memory foam.
Also, just so you’re aware, the company’s foams are produced using a special Variable Pressure Manufacturing process, which cuts out harmful chemicals. As a result, all the foams within the bed are CertiPUR certified.
Machine Washable Mattress Cover
Wrapping the four layers of foam is a soft, removable cover that the company claims is stain resistant. As you can see below, the cover looks super comfortable and soft-to-the-touch.
In addition, according to the Puffy’s website, the cover is washable. They technically use the term “zip-n-wash” to describe the cover so we’re assuming it’s okay to throw it in your washing machine. This would make the Puffy Lux one of the few bed-in-a-box mattresses on the market that feature a machine washable cover. It’s not a huge deal but it’s definitely much more convenient than covers that require spot cleaning.
Puffy Lux Mattress Feel And Firmness
Even though the company uses special names for the top two layers of the bed, in our eyes, they’re very comparable to memory foam in terms of feel. As you lay down on the mattress, you slowly nestle-in and the top layers start to contour to your body’s shape.
With that said, it’s more of a light, airy feel than a dense memory foam feel. We happen to really like it. Plus, during our Puffy Lux review test sessions, we found it fairly easy to switch between positions. There’s not much resistance at all, which isn’t always the case with memory foam beds.
Overall, it’s a very soft and comfortable mattress. If you’re a fan of the plush, conforming sensation memory foam provides, chances are you’ll enjoy this bed. If you’re not a fan of memory foam though, we recommend checking out GhostBed, Purple, or Avocado. These are three popular mattresses that have more of a neutral or unique feel.
In terms of firmness, we think the Puffy Lux bed lands around a medium-soft to medium on the firmness scale. Again, this bed is soft-to-the-touch and extremely comfortable. It offers a great amount of pressure relief, and really contours to the curves of your body as you lay down.
Remember, though, that your weight affects how soft or firm a mattress feels. For example, a heavier individual will likely feel like the Lux mattress lands closer to a true medium-soft, while a more petite individual might think it’s closer to a straight medium rating.
Puffy Lux Mattress Responsiveness
Is Puffy Lux A Good Mattress For Couples?
We think this mattress is a perfectly viable option for folks who share a bed. The mattress performs well in terms of motion isolation and edge support, which are the two most important factors for couples. Let’s tackle each category one at a time.
First, the bed deadens movement exceptionally well. We noticed very little cross-bed motion that spread across the surface when pressure was applied in our tests. As you can see below, the water in the glass stayed reasonably steady despite the movement generated from our testing team. A bed that deadens movement nicely will likely translate to a better night of sleep since you will feel less of your partner’s movements throughout the night.
Next, the bed also provides fairly solid edge support for an all-foam mattress. It will definitely get the job done for the majority of couples out there.
Edge support is an essential subject for couples who sleep on a smaller size mattress (e.g., full or queen). A bed that provides good edge support means there is more useful space for both partners to spread out and get comfortable while still receiving proper support.
Although the top layers of the bed strongly resemble memory foam, we don’t think the Puffy Lux sleeps hot. First, it’s important to realize this is a new-age bed-in-a-box mattress. This isn’t a memory foam bed from the 1980s. Bedding materials and foams have advanced quite a bit over the last couple of decades and are much improved in terms of temperature regulation.
With that said, we don’t think this mattress sleeps cool either. Instead, we believe it sleeps more temperature neutral. In other words, the mattress won’t be the primary reason why you warm up or cool off throughout the night. Instead, you can expect external factors (e.g., the climate you live in, what kind of sheets you use, and how often you run your AC) to play more of a role in how warm or cool you sleep.
Sleeper Type Analysis
- Side Sleepers
People who spend most of their time sleeping on their side prefer mattresses that land on the softer side of the spectrum. These types of sleepers want a mattress that is very gentle around their pressure points. As you might expect, given the bed’s firmness profile, the Puffy Lux mattress fits this description to a T. It’s a great option for side sleepers, plain and simple.
We say that because the top layers do an excellent job of conforming to your body and cradling your hips and shoulderswhen you’re on your side.
- Back and Stomach Sleepers
Puffy Lux mattress is a right choice for back and stomach sleepers, as well. Although the bed is soft-to-the-touch and offers a fair amount of pressure relief, we found it to be supportive. As we mentioned above, you do sink into the top layers a little, but never to the point where your hips fall out of proper alignment with the rest of your body.
Overall, we think the mattress finds a nice balance between comfort and support. Our testing team found that the mattress provides adequate support under their lower back and trunk.
- Combination Sleepers
Given the last two sections, you can probably guess what we’re going to say here, but for the sake of a complete Puffy Lux mattress review, let’s spell it out anyway. We think the Lux bed is a viable option for combination sleepers (i.e., people who rotate between their back, side, and stomach throughout the night).
In addition, despite the top layers’ similarities to memory foam, we didn’t experience any issues switching between sleeping positions. This is good news for combo sleepers who are active throughout the night.
Puffy Lux Mattress Body Type Analysis
- Heavy Individuals
We wouldn’t recommend the all-foam Puffy Lux mattress for folks who weigh more than 250 lb. Luckily, the company recently introduced a hybrid version of the Lux, which utilizes pocketed coils for its support structure. If you’re a larger individual, we’d highly recommend selecting the Puffy Lux Hybrid over the all-foam version. You can find more details regarding the Puffy Lux Hybrid later in this review.
- Petite Individuals
Smaller individuals place very little pressure on the surface, so they sleep more on top of the bed rather than in it.
Through testing, we have seen that the Puffy Lux mattress is an excellent choice for smaller-sized individuals. These types of people will find the mattress to be very accommodating in all sleeping positions.
Puffy Lux Pricing And Discounts
|King / Cal King||$1,995|
In writing the Puffy Lux mattress reviews, we found it is priced higher than the average bed-in-a-box mattress including the original Puffy Mattress. Hopefully this gives a little more context.
Puffy Lux Coupon Code
The good news is that Puffy is extremely aggressive when it comes to sales and discounts. They’re almost always offering some sort of coupon code or promo code to make the Lux mattress more affordable. You can usually expect to take $250-$300 off the MSRP. Check the discount box on the right hand side of the screen to see what sort of savings you can score right now.
If the Puffy Lux mattress is a little out of your price range, be sure to check out our list of the Best Mattresses Under $1,000.
Puffy Lux Mattress Reviews Verdict
All in all, there’s a lot to like about the Puffy Lux mattress. It’s soft, comfortable, and accommodates all sleeper types. However, all that aside, we just wish it was priced a little lower. There are many other three and four-layer all-foam mattresses out there (not to mention countless hybrid beds) that are more affordable. Still, if the price is of no concern and you just want an ultra-comfortable, plush mattress, this bed is a great option.
Puffy Lux Mattress Ratings Online
- Amazon Reviews: This is one of the few items you won’t find for sale on Amazon. The only place to buy a Puffy Lux mattress is on the official Puffy website. That aside, there are over 10,000 reviews on the Puffy website, and all of them give the Puffy Lux bed five stars for comfort and perfect sleep.
Other Puffy Products:
Other Puffy Beds
- Puffy Lux Hybrid Mattress
Puffy recently introduced a hybrid version of their Lux mattress (aptly called the Puffy Lux Hybrid). It’s the same bed as the all-foam version, except it uses pocketed coils for its support foundation instead of dense foam.
Here are a few reasons why you might want to opt for the hybrid over the standard foam model:
- Support – Typically, mattresses that incorporate coils provide more support than beds that simply use foam for their foundations. This is because coils provide bi-directional support (i.e., they compress but also push back against pressure), whereas foams don’t have the same resistance level.
- Durability – This doesn’t always hold true, but for the most part, hybrid beds tend to be more durable than all-foam ones due to their coil foundations.
- Firmness – Surprisingly, we found the Puffy Lux Hybrid to be slightly softer than the all-foam version of the bed. As such, dominant side sleepers or people who just prefer extra soft mattresses might like the hybrid models a little more.
- Edge Support – Beds with coils also tend to provide more support around their perimeter compared to all-foam mattresses. This is an important aspect to consider if you share a smaller size mattress like a full or queen size with a partner.
- Heavy Individuals – We almost always recommend heavier individuals (~225+ pounds) select a hybrid mattress over an all-foam one. Since larger folks exert more force onto beds than smaller and average-sized folks, support becomes even more vital. As such, hybrids are usually the better choice for heavy-set individuals for the reasons outlined above.
- Puffy Lux vs. Original Puffy Mattress
- Price — From a MSRP standpoint, the original Puffy mattress is about $600-$800 less than the Lux, depending on which size you select.
- Construction — Both models are all-foam beds, but the Lux model incorporates one additional layer of foam. As a result, it’s 2″ thicker than the original Puffy mattress.
- Feel — The Puffy Lux has a soft, airy memory foam feel, while the original Puffy has more of a blended foam feel. In other words, the original Puffy mattress has a feel that is sort of in-between memory foam and neutral foam.
- Choice Of Hybrid – With the Puffy Lux, you have the option to select a hybrid version. The Original Puffy only comes in an all-foam model.
Read more about the similarities and differences in our Puffy vs Puffy Lux Review.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
The Review Team
Puffy Company Information
The Puffy Lux mattress is accompanied by a few promises to ensure you like the mattress before you purchase.
- Free shipping and returns
- 101-Night Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
If you don’t love the mattress, contact customer service to initiate a refund. Pretty easy, right?