Puffy Royal Review
Our full review of the Puffy Royal and Puffy Royal Hybrid mattresses, two premium online beds that are optimal for side sleepers.
Last Updated: October 4, 2020Matt Ross
The Royal is the latest addition to the Puffy mattress lineup. It's the company's most expensive and luxurious bed. In this review, we take a deep dive into the mattress and discuss everything you need to know about it, including feel, firmness, which types of sleepers the bed is best suited for and much more. We also cover the major pros and cons of the new Puffy Royal Hybrid as well so you can determine which model suits your body type and sleep preferences.
$300 Off + Gift
Discount in Cart
- Free Shipping & Returns
- 101 Nights Trial Period
- Lifetime Warranty
- Made in USA
$300 Off + GiftClaim Discount
Consumers seeking a thick, premium foam bed
Side sleepers who like soft mattresses
Individuals seeking a hybrid or innerspring mattress
Back and stomach sleepers seeking a firm mattress
Overview of Puffy Royal Review
Honest Puffy Royal Mattress Review Video Review
We always like to publish video reviews so consumers can see the bed for themselves before purchasing. In the video below, JD on our team walks you through the major points you’ll want to know concerning the Puffy Royal mattress.
Since it is a video, we can only include so much information and detail. Therefore, we’ve also compiled a full written review below of the Puffy Royal to complement the video above. Below is a bullet point list of jump links to take you to any section of this review.
Jump-To Links For This Puffy Royal Review:
Puffy Royal Price & Discounts
|King / Cal King||$2,995|
However, like with the other Puffy mattresses, you likely won’t pay full MSRP. You can almost always find some sort of discount on the bed. Typically, you can expect to receive at least $250-$300 off the Puffy Royal. Be sure to locate the green box on your screen to check current pricing and promotions.
If the Royal is out of your price range, you may want to check out the other two beds from the company – the Original Puffy and Puffy Lux. These two beds have slightly different designs but are much more affordable.
Puffy Royal Design And Construction
The Royal mattress utilizes a premium all-foam design. The bed is made up of five different layers that total a massive 14” thick. Here is a quick summary of each layer, starting from the bottom:
- Core support layer: This thick, dense foam serves as the foundation for the bed
- Sectional Cloud Foam: This proprietary foam exclusive to the Puffy Royal mattress is split into different zones to deliver support and pressure relief where you need it most
- Climate Comfort Foam: This is an additional layer of support designed to stabilize temperature
- Reflexive Foam: This transition layer is also exclusive to the Royal mattress. It’s a resilient foam to provide additional pressure relief for sleepers
- Infused Cooling Foam: This comfort layer is infused with cooling beads to help disperse heat
Feel & Firmness Of The Puffy Royal Mattress
The Royal is a little softer than the Original Puffy mattress for a neutral firmness between soft and firm.
Puffy Firmness Rating
We think it lands between a medium-soft and medium on the firmness scale with a rating of 4 to 5.
Although the Royal uses a lot of the same materials as Puffy’s other luxury foam mattress, it doesn’t have the same type of memory foam feel. Puffy Royal mattress reviews from customers are typically positive when it comes to feel. That’s because the Royal uses a proprietary 1.5″ layer of infused cooling foam on top. As a result, the bed has more of a neutral or mixed foam feel similar to the Original Puffy.
Overall, we consider the Royal to be an ultra-comfortable, plush mattress. If that’s the type of bed you tend to prefer, then the Royal is an excellent option.
Puffy Royal Mattress Sleeper Types
Given the firmness profile of the mattress, we think the Royal is most ideal for side sleepers seeking a soft, neutral-foam bed. As you lay down on the mattress, you descend into the top layers a little creating a comfortable, pressure-relieving environment for your hips and shoulders.
Back And Stomach Sleepers
As far as back and stomach sleepers, it’s largely going to depend on your body type and weight. Petite and medium size individuals will likely be fine sleeping on their back or stomach. However, if you weigh over ~225 pounds, we think the bed may be a tad bit too soft for these types of sleepers. In other words, heavy back and stomach sleepers may find that they sink too far down into the mattress given its soft profile.
Combination sleepers will find the bed accommodating, though. Although the Royal technically incorporates memory foam in its construction, we didn’t find much resistance when attempting to switch between positions.
Ideal Body Types For Puffy Royal
If you’re of small or average stature, we think the Royal will work just fine.
Like the other beds from Puffy, we don’t think the Royal is ideal for heavy people considering it’s made entirely of foam. As a rule of thumb, we generally recommend large folks stick to beds that contain coils. Otherwise, if you’re of small or average stature, we think the Royal will work just fine.
Luckily if you’re larger in stature, Puffy recently introduced a hybrid version of the Royal mattress. Because this model uses coils for its support framework, we think it’s the most ideal choice for people who weigh more than ~225 pounds. More information about the Puffy Royal Hybrid can be found near the bottom of this review.
Puffy Royal Temperature Regulation
In our opinion, the Puffy Royal mattress sleeps temperature neutral. If you’re not familiar with mattress vernacular, learn more about how we grade temperature. If you consider yourself a hot sleeper, we’d recommend checking out our list of the Best Cooling Beds.
Is Puffy Royal A Good Mattress For Couples?
The short answer is yes. That’s based on how the bed performed in our motion isolation and edge support tests.
The Royal mattress gets passing grades in edge support. No more fighting for the center of the bed — each partner can sleep on one end without feeling they’re going to slide off the bed. Learn more about edge support.
We don’t envision couples experiencing any major issues with the mattress, especially when it comes to motion isolation. As with all foam mattresses, motion isolation ranks high as one of the best selling features. If you sleep with someone who tosses and turns often, you’re less likely to notice.
Pros & Cons Of The Puffy Royal Mattress
- Great for back and stomach sleepers
- Cooling and breathable to reduce heat discomfort
- Well balanced for edge support and motion isolation
- Not for larger sleepers
- Higher price point
- Petite sleepers may find the mattress too firm
Puffy Royal Mattress Review Verdict
Think of the Royal as an upgraded version of the Original Puffy mattress, but slightly softer and better for side sleepers. If that description sounds like it might fit your sleep preferences, consider Puffy Royal for your next mattress.
The only downside is that it’s quite expensive. If money is tight, but you like the sound of the Royal so far, you may want to check out our review of the Tuft & Needle Mint mattress because it shares a lot of the same characteristics.
Other Puffy Products
- Puffy Royal Mattress
- Puffy Original
- Lucid Mattress Topper
- Brooklyn Bedding Weighted Blanket
- Puffy Lux Mattress
Puffy Royal Ratings
- BBB Rating: A+
- Amazon Reviews: There are no Puffy Royal mattress reviews because it’s not available through Amazon
Puffy Royal Hybrid Mattress Review
As we mentioned earlier, Puffy recently introduced a hybrid version of their Royal mattress (appropriately named the Puffy Royal Hybrid). For all intents and purposes, the Puffy Royal Hybrid is effectively the same bed as the foam version except it utilizes Contour-Adapt coils for its foundation rather than dense support foam. Generally speaking, coils are considered the higher-quality and more supportive material between the two.
Here are a few of the benefits that coils provide:
- Additional support – Compared to dense poly foams, coils provide more support because they’re able to compress yet also push-back and provide resistance.
- Durability – Certain foams are known for sagging over time. Coils, on the other hand, tend to last longer since they’re stronger and can withstand more force.
- Better for heavy people – Given heavier individuals exert more pressure onto mattresses compared to smaller and average size individuals, coil or hybrid beds tend to be the more ideal choice for the reasons outlined above.
- Stronger edge support – Beds with coils are typically more supportive around their perimeter. This is important for couples who split a smaller size mattress (e.g. full or queen). Stronger edge supports equates to more usable surface area for both individuals to spread out without feeling like they might fall off.
- Breathability – Coil mattresses also allow for more airflow throughout the bed.
Now typically, beds with coils tend to be more expensive than beds that purely consist of foam layers. However, that’s not the case here. Surprisingly, the Puffy Royal Hybrid is the same price as the all-foam version. As such, we see no reason not to upgrade to the coil model.
With that said, we did notice one distinct difference between the Puffy Royal Hybrid and the standard foam version during our testing process. In our opinion, the hybrid model is a notch or two softer than the foam model. As such, dominant side sleepers or people who simply prefer extra plush mattresses may like the hybrid model a little more.
All in all, the only reasons why you might not want to opt for the Puffy Royal Hybrid is (1) you’re a smaller individual so the coils aren’t as important; (2) you don’t like the bouncy feel coil beds typically have; or (3) you live alone or just don’t want to deal with moving around a heavier coil mattress. Otherwise, we’d say go with the Puffy Royal Hybrid.
Comparing Puffy Royal Vs. Other Beds
Comparing Puffy Royal vs. Puffy Mattress
The Puffy Royal is the premium version of the Puffy Original. It’s more expensive for good reasons. The Puffy Royal is 14” thick compared to the Original at 10”. The extra 4” is best described as sleeping on a cloud for the ultimate sleep experience.
Comparing Puffy Royal vs. DreamCloud Mattress
Both the Puffy Royal and DreamCloud are high-end luxury mattresses. The main difference is the DreamCloud mattresses are hybrids with innerspring bases. That being said, the DreamCloud is a better option for heavier body types. The coils provide additional support and lasting durability.
Puffy Company Policies
Puffy has some customer policies to make your mattress buying experience better:
- Free shipping – The Puffy Royal mattress comes with free shipping. The bed will arrive compressed and rolled-up in a cardboard box. Once it has arrived, move the box to the desired bedroom. Give the bed about 24-48 hours to inflate before sleeping on it.
- 101-night sleep trial – Puffy gives customers 101 nights to test the Royal mattress before making an official decision as to whether they’d like to keep it or not.
- Free returns – During the trial period, you can return it for a full refund. Contact Puffy customer support and they’ll take care of everything.
- Lifetime warranty – The Puffy Royal mattress comes backed by a lifetime warranty, which is unusual in the online mattress industry. The majority of beds sold online come with 10-year warranties.
Puffy Company Info
Mattress Contact Information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone number: 1-800-430-8380
Find Puffy Royal On Social Media
Puffy sent us the Royal mattress for free so we could test it. Please note we did not accept any monetary compensation from the company to produce this review, though. In other words, Puffy did not influence our review whatsoever. We test products independently and we’re proud of that. We take great pride in publishing unbiased reviews so consumers can make informed purchase decisions.
No, the company does offer a white glove delivery option. Instead, the beds from Puffy come compressed in a box. However, it’s fairly easy to move the box to your bedroom and set it up.
Yes, the Puffy Royal is compatible with adjustable frames. Puffy even sells an adjustable base themselves. The bed also works with most other slatted foundations and platform frames.
Yes, all of the materials included in the Royal mattress are made and assembled here in the United States.
Last we checked, Puffy beds are only available to purchase via the company’s official website. With that said, it wouldn’t shock us if Puffy partners with a large brick and mortar retailer in the future considering Puffy is one of the most popular brands in the online mattress industry.
The Puffy Royal mattress is not designed to be flipped. Every 6-8 months though, it may be a good idea to rotate the bed to protect against body impressions.