Admittedly, a lot of the mattresses in the industry are really similar. That’s not the case when it comes to the Saatva mattress. Unlike other beds, the Saatva mattress addresses the gap between traditional coil mattresses and foam beds in the market. It takes your classic innerspring system, adds a layer of pocketed coils, and tops it with a plush pillow to further cozy up to their mattresses.
With its high-quality construction, the Saatva hybrid mattress offers maximum support and ample pressure relief. With that being said, Saatva won’t be a perfect mattress for everyone, and that’s where we come in. In our Saatva mattress reviews, we reveal who we think will and won’t love it.
Before we dive in, here are the basics you should know about the Classic Saatva mattress:
- We think the Saatva bed is a solid option for sleepers of all different body types and sleeping positions.
- The Saatva mattress is made with CertiPUR-US® certified foams.
- There aren’t a ton of beds with a back-to-back innerspring construction, so it’s great if you value durability.
Saatva might not be the best for you:
- If you’re looking for a mattress with a cheaper price tag, this might not be the bed for you. But if you’re willing to spend over $1,000 for a nice bed, we think this one may be worth it!
Honest YouTube Review Of Saatva Classic Mattress
Saatva Mattress Firmness And Feel
How firm is the Saatva mattress?
Firmness is an important part of determining which mattress is right for you. You want to ensure the bed you choose is supportive or pressure-relieving enough for you, and firmness is an important indicator in that. A firm mattress offers your body support and creates a neutral spine alignment.
Saatva is particularly accommodating because it comes available in three different firmness levels, making it suitable for all sleeper types. Most mattresses in the game do not offer that level of versatility, so that’s a big point for Saatva.
Here is a breakdown of how we rated the firmness profile of each model during our Saatva mattress reviews:
- The “Plush Soft” is around a medium in our firmness scale and somewhat soft-to-the-touch. Saatva claims that it has a “deep, body-hugging feel,” but we think average and petite people would not experience that.
- The “Luxury Firm” model is more of a medium-firm and offers a bit more support than the Plush Soft model.
- The “Firm” is, obviously, a firm on our scale. The Saatva firm model is best for heavy individuals, people that sleep strictly on their back and stomach, or folks who need/want extra lumbar support.
What does the Saatva mattress feel like?
Firmness and feel are two different things. The Saatva mattress has three different firmness levels, but the feel is the same across all models. We think the Saatva bed has more of a traditional innerspring type feel thanks to its two layers of coils.
The Saatva bed is supportive and has some bounce; however, the Euro pillow top gives the bed an element of comfort not found with older innerspring mattresses. When lying on the Saatva bed, you won’t sink too far in, which is pretty standard with a hybrid mattress. We also think this mattress is supportive and responsive, and we found it easy to switch between sleeping positions.
Saatva Design And Construction
The Saatva bed uses four layers, starting with two layers of coils followed by another two layers of foam cushioning. The outer cover is GOTS certified organic cotton –– meaning it’s not treated with bleach, formaldehyde, or other toxic substances. The organic cotton makes this mattress soft to the touch and gives it better airflow than standard cotton.
Here’s an overview of the construction:
- Organic cotton mattress cover: The non-removable, organic cotton cover is antimicrobial. It’s fairly soft and gives the bed a premium, luxurious appearance. If you happen to spill during wine night or breakfast in bed, take care of the stain by spot cleaning it with mild detergent and water.
- Top layer: The Saatva bed has a Euro-top for fluffy and plush comfort.
- Second layer: In the middle of the Saatva bed, there is a layer of Memory foam for additional pressure relief and coziness.
- Third layer: Unlike other beds, Saatva has two layers of individually wrapped pocketed coils which are better at isolating movement than standard innerspring.
- Bottom layer: Thick steel coil innerspring system for maximum support.
Saatva also gives you the option to select your mattress height. You can choose between an 11.5″ custom slim model and a 14.5″ premier luxury model. Both options feel the same. It’s more of a personal aesthetic decision. The extra height is added to the innerspring system at the bottom of the bed.
Saatva Mattress Sleeper Type Analysis
Saatva mattress can handle all sleeping positions, including back, stomach, side, and combo. Here’s an overview of each sleeper type and how the different Saatva mattresses will feel.
- Side sleepers
The luxury firm and firm Saatva options will be a little too firm for strict side sleeping. These models do not provide enough pressure relief for your hips and shoulders when you’re on your side.
Instead, we’d recommend strict side sleepers go with the plush soft Saatva mattress. Saatva layers this model with softer and more conforming foams so that your hips and shoulders feel like they’re being cradled.
- Back and stomach sleepers
For back and stomach sleepers the Saatva bed provides a ton of support under your hips, trunk, and lower back.
The coils do a great job of compressing and providing little push-back. This means you’ll sink in a little through that top pillow layer but never to the point where your spine is no longer properly aligned. We’d recommend strict back and stomach sleepers stick with either the luxury firm or firm options.
- Combo sleepers
If you’re a combo sleeper, the plush soft and luxury firm Saatva models are your best bet. If you’re primarily a stomach or back sleeper but you occasionally end up on your side, you might want to go with the luxury firm bed.
If you tend to favor your side but end up on your stomach or back throughout the night, you might first look into the plush soft model. Combination sleepers need to think of their dominant sleeping position and match the mattress to that position.
Body Type Analysis
Your sleeper type isn’t the only factor that impacts how a mattress feels to you. Your weight also plays an important role. Here’s how the Saatva bed will feel to you, depending on your body type.
Smaller people (less than 150 pounds) will feel like most mattresses are on the firmer side because they won’t sink in as much and will lay more on top of the bed. We’ve found this to be particularly true with Saatva mattresses, so we’d recommend going with the plush soft model if you’re petite.
It’s easier for average body types (150-250 pounds) to find a mattress that feels true to its firmness description. In our reviews, we talk about mattresses from an average sleeper’s perspective, so keep that in mind as you read through. An average body type can sleep on any Saatva model, it will come down to your preferences.
In general, heavy people will feel like most beds are on the softer side of the spectrum. That’s because people over 250 pounds exert extra pressure, stress, and weight onto a bed and thus will sink into the top layers more. The Saatva HD, one of their other mattress models, is specifically made for heavy people.
What our sleep experts have to say
I’ve slept on the Saatva Classic Mattress for close to three years now and I love it. It’s a very supportive mattress and I find the pillow top to be very comfortable
As a smaller size sleeper, the Saatva mattress is just a little too firm for me. I prefer soft memory foam beds where I can sink-down into the bed a little
Saatva Classic Mattress Pricing
SIZE PRICE AVERAGE Twin $935 $808 Twin XL $1,225 $1,160 Full $1,695 $1,184 Queen $1,795 $1,389 King $2,195 $1,751 Cal King $2,195 $1,833
The Saatva mattress is priced fairly for what it offers. A queen-size mattress costs about $1,600 MSRP, which is slightly more than the average online bed. Unfortunately, there isn’t a year-long Saatva discount or promo code, but there are occasionally sales around major holidays. We’ve seen up to $200 off before. Take a look at our best mattress deals to see what you can save.
However, given the high-quality construction of the mattress and extras like free white-glove delivery, we think it’s an excellent value. It’s a nicer bed than the two and three-layer foam mattresses priced in the same range.
Saatva Mattress Performance
Even with multiple comfort levels, Saatva prioritized support over contouring in their beds. The Plush Soft model provides a decent amount of pressure relief for your hips and shoulders, especially for side sleepers.
The Luxury Firm and Firm Saatva mattresses aren’t going to offer that much pressure relief. That’s why we don’t recommend it for petite and average side sleepers. They will likely develop pressure points on their shoulders, hips, and knees.
The Saatva mattress technically does not have any special cooling technology built-in. That said, we think Saatva sleeps temperature neutral, thanks to the coils that promote increased airflow. You can’t find that level of airflow in an all-foam bed. Add in the organic cotton cover, and you’ve got a comfortable sleeping experience.
You want your mattress to be durable enough to last you a while. Overall, we are impressed with the construction of the Saatva bed. The company uses high-quality materials, and the dual layers of coils will help extend the mattress’s life.
At the end of the day, the Saatva bed is both sturdy and durable. Each firmness level includes 13-gauge hourglass coils, which allows for significant airflow while still being pretty durable.
Baseline, the best hybrid mattresses tend to be pretty responsive. However, the two layers of coils give the Saatva a leg up on the competition. The foam will conform to your body, but it springs back pretty quickly, thanks to the coil layers. So you won’t feel like you’re sinking into the bed like you would with a traditional memory foam mattress. But you still get the comfort.
The Saatva mattress has great edge support. What is edge support exactly? Put simply, it’s how supportive the perimeter of the bed is, which comes in handy if you sleep with a partner and need access to the whole sleeping surface.
The Saatva bed has a firm layer of foam around the perimeter to ensure sleepers never feel as if they’re going to roll off. Solid edge support also means the bed will have a large sleeping surface because the edges won’t compress all that much.
While the edge support is solid, we found that the Saatva bed is average for motion isolation. This shouldn’t come as a huge shock, though, considering the bed uses dual layers of coils. Coils are pretty much never going to isolation motion quite as well as memory foam does.
Overall though, we don’t think the motion transfer on this bed will be a major issue. At the end of the day, the Saatva mattress is still going to be better than your worn-out bed in this department. Plus, we haven’t heard any complaints from customers regarding this subject.
Is it good for couples?
The Saatva mattress will be a fine option for couples. When evaluating mattresses for couples, there are two important factors to consider: edge support and motion isolation.
Saatva has fantastic edge support, which means if you’re not into cuddling, you and your partner will be able to spread out. Saatva is not the best for motion isolation, but even so, it’s not that big of a deal. If you have a partner who tosses and turns or gets up in the middle of the night, depending on how light you sleep, it might wake you up.
Other Saatva Mattresses
We’ve also written other Saavta mattress reviews that you should check out. Here is a quick overview of the different beds in the Saatva catalog:
- Saatva HD
The Saatva HD mattress is made specifically for people weighing between 300 lbs. and 500 lbs. It’s a crazy durable mattress and honestly, we think this bed has almost no flaws.
- Saatva Youth
Unlike other mattresses from Saatva, the Saatva Youth mattress is a double-sided innerspring mattress made specifically for kids and teenagers.
- Saatva Solaire
The Saatva Solaire is a premium air mattress that allows you to infinitely customize your feel preferences.
Saatva Company Policies
Before you make a decision, you need to know that the Saatva beds do not arrive compressed and rolled up in a tiny box (i.e., it technically should not be considered a bed-in-a-box). Here are Saatva’s policies:
- Risk-free trial period: 365-night home trial
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Shipping: Free with delivery and set up
- Returns: $99. A lot of companies offer free returns, so Saatva gets a point off here.
The company also offers a Fairness Replacement Option. Basically, instead of you sending back your bed to be repaired, you can purchase a brand-new Saatva mattress at 30-75 percent of the original purchase price (depending on how long you’ve had the original bed).
Saatva Mattress Verdict
At the end of the day, we are big fans of the Saatva Mattress. It has a sturdy, durable construction; it’s available in multiple comfort levels and accommodates all body types. While it may not be the plushest mattress ever, there’s a lot of people out there that truly like and enjoy the feel of innerspring beds. So if that’s you, it’s tough to beat Saatva considering its approachable price point.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 150 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
Our favorite parts about the mattress
- Anyone could sleep on the Saatva Classic Mattress.
- The Saavta mattress comes in three comfort options. Talk about flexibility!
- It’s a sturdy and durable mattress that will last you a long time.
- If you’re looking for a memory foam feel, Saatva is not the mattress for you.
- Petite sleepers should choose a less firm option, the Firm or Luxury Firm model will be too firm for you to sleep on.
- There are plusher mattresses out there. So if you’re looking for tons of pressure relief –– like cloud level –– go with another bed.
Saatva Mattress Alternatives
These mattresses are all similar to the Saatva Mattress but at varying price points.
Mattress Type Firmness Temp Body Type Thickness Starting Price Saatva Classic Pillow Top All Neutral All Body Types 11.5inch, 14.5inch $1795* *Queen mattress DreamCloud Memory Foam Firm Neutral All Body Types 14″ $1598* *Queen mattress Read Review Nolah Evolution 15 Hybrid Plush, Luxury Firm, Firm Neutral All 15 Inch $2299* * mattress Read Review WinkBeds Classic Pillow Top All Neutral All Body Types 14.5inch $1799* *Queen mattress Read Review
How We Test The Mattresses
My Slumber Yard has been around since the beginning of the bed-in-a-box craze. Our team has personally tested over 175 mattresses so far, and we keep more than 150 beds in our office so we can compare them (and take afternoon naps).
When testing mattresses, we evaluate the following factors:
Frequently Asked QuestionsIs Saatva a good mattress?
- Construction: We cut mattresses open to see what’s inside and how it’s made.
- Feel: We check if it has a stuck-in-the-mud memory foam feel, or if it’s more of a neutral foam or a plush pillow top, etc.
- Firmness: We have our own firmness scale and evaluate how that may vary depending on your body and sleeper type.
- Pressure relief: We test what’s the sweet spot for different body and sleeper types.
- Support: How that changes by body/sleeper type
- Edge Support: This is important for couples who share a bed. Would you roll-out of the bed or can you sleep confidently close to the edges?
- Motion Isolation: We use the water glass test to see how the bed fares with motion transfer. This is another important factor for couples that don’t want to wake up one another when they move.
- Temperature Regulation: We use a temperature gun to evaluate if the bed warms up, stays neutral or actively cools while you are sleeping.
- Noise: This could be an issue in beds with coils or innerspring.
- Off-Gassing: Some beds could have a smell for a few weeks after unpacking, and we try to warn you about it.
- Company policies: We also take into account policies such as shipping, returns, trial period and warranty.
- Value: We look at a bed’s price in the context of what it offers in terms of features and quality of materials and construction.
Saatva is a good mattress, it’s ideal for heavy sleepers or folks who want an extra durable mattress. The Saatva mattress is not only made with high-quality materials, but it also is suitable for most body types and sleeper styles, especially back and stomach sleepers. The Saatva mattress is worth the money.Is Saatva firm too firm?
Saatva gives you the option to choose your firmness level –– Firm, Luxury Firm, and Plush. Saatva firm is going to be best for heavy back and stomach sleepers who want maximum support. However, if you weigh under 230 lbs. or sleep on your side, we recommend one of the softer models like Plush Soft.Where can I buy the Saatva mattress?
Saatva is a direct-to-consumer consumer, which means you can only buy their mattresses online. Saatva recently opened a “viewing room” in New York City so customers can experience Saatva bedding products in person.How long will my Saatva mattress last?
Saatva is a really durable mattress. It’s made with high-quality materials and has two layers of coils. You should expect to get around 6 to 10 years out of your mattress. Which is pretty on par with most hybrid mattresses.
The Review Team