WinkBeds Mattress Overview
Do you prioritize durability, premium quality, and comfort? If the answer is yes, you might like what we have to say about the WinkBed mattress. The WinkBed mattress is a luxury hybrid bed that has a plush pillow top and supportive coils. The WinkBed mattress is the type of bed that everyone can enjoy –– from heavier sleepers to those with back pain.
We’re big fans of WinkBed. So much in fact that we picked the WinkBed as one of the Best Soft Mattresses & one of the Most Comfortable Beds in the market. It simply is one of the best mattresses out there.
Here are the things you need to know:
- The WinkBed mattress comes in three different firmness options, so you can choose the bed that best suits your needs.
- The plush pillowtop makes the WinkBed mattress is a good pick for sleepers who live with back pain.
- We think this bed is a good choice for couples thanks to its edge support and motion isolation.
Honest WinkBed Mattress Review Video
The Different WinkBed Mattresses Models
As of mid-2020, WinkBeds now offers two new beds in addition to their flagship model; Memory Lux Mattress and the EcoCloud Mattress. We will largely focus on the classic model in our review, but here’s a quick synopsis of the brand’s bed lineup:
- The WinkBed — The flagship model that most people are referring to when they say “WinkBed.” This is a supportive hybrid mattress with a soft cover.
- The EcoCloud — This is WinkBeds natural and organic mattress with pocketed coils, latex foam and an organic cotton cover.
- The MemoryLux — The company’s premium memory foam mattress with a soft pillow top, a bit like Loom & Leaf, only softer.
WinkBed Mattress Firmness And Feel
This mattress is available in three different firmness levels. They make a Softer, Luxury Firm (most popular) and Firmer mattress, all of which have the innerspring/pillowtop feel. The Luxury Firm is about a medium to a medium firm on the softness/firmness spectrum. This tends to be the sweet spot for a lot of sleepers.therefore the softer the bed will feel.
The opposite is true for petite individuals. Make sure to keep that in mind as you do your mattress shopping. Softness and firmness will vary from person to person. The heavier the individual, the more weight they will put on a bed, and therefore the softer the bed will feel. The opposite is true for petite individuals. Make sure to keep that in mind as you do your mattress shopping.
As for how the bed feels, well, the pillow top is soft and comfy, but the bed overall has a durable, supportive feel. You can tell it’s a spring mattress, but in a good way—it feels like this mattress isn’t going anywhere no matter how many times your kids jump on it. The thick layer of coils means the bed snaps back into shape immediately, making it effortless to switch sleeping positions on at night.
WinkBed Mattress Construction And Design
WinkBed is a hybrid or innerspring mattress that looks like it belongs in a resort hotel. It looks premium, it looks expensive to make, and it looks like a bed that you’d brag to your friends about.
In total, WinkBed measures in at around 15” tall, making it one of the thickest, burliest mattresses we’ve ever tested. As far as durability goes, we have zero concerns with WinkBed, but just in case you’re interested, Consumer Reports gave WinkBed an “Excellent” in terms of durability. We would echo that sentiment—WinkBed is not your standard mattress online.
- Base layer – WinkBed starts with 2” of support foam that provide the foundation for the entire mattress.
- Support layer – On top of that are 7” pocketed coils that provide the bulk of the support.
- Transition layer – Next is a 2″ layer of foam called “SupportCell” foam. It’s essentially a poly foam that helps neutralize the feel of the pocketed coil layer underneath and adds breathable comfort.
- Comfort layer – The top layer of the mattress is a quilted 2″ thick European pillow top that has a “Hypersoft Foam” inside and will be the primary comfort layer of the bed.
- Tencel mattress cover – The cover of the mattress is made from Tencel, which is a plant-based fiber. It’s very soft and looks premium. It also has the OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1 certification that ensures it is a safe, non-toxic textile. We happen to really like the cover. It’s soft, fluffy, and tremendously comfortable—not to mention it looks like a million bucks.
It might also be a good idea to look into a mattress protector to completely avoid any issues with future stains; WinkBed actually sells a mattress protector on their website. As an FYI, these protectors tend to somewhat change the feel of a mattress, which a lot of people don’t like.
See Also: Best Mattress for Back Pain
WinkBed Sleeper Type Analysis
- Side Sleepers
We picked WInkBed as one of our best mattresses for side sleepers, just make sure to go with the Softer model. That will have more pressure relief than the other two and will do a good job of cradling your body in place.
The nice thing with the WinkBed is that you won’t get any of that stuck-in-the-mud feeling since the bed doesn’t have memory foam. It just has more of a soft, airy feel to it. Based on our WinkBed review, we could see the WinkBed being one of the best mattresses for heavy side sleepers in particular. You don’t often find a bed with this level of support yet still does a great job of offering pressure ief in the top layers.
- Stomach Sleepers
We also think the WinkBed will be a great option for back and/or stomach sleepers, just make sure to look into the Luxury Firm or Firm model. Those should do a good job of keeping your spine in neutral alignment and avoiding any excess pressure in your low back.
- Combination Sleepers
Because the bed is so responsive, switching positions takes no effort, making this bed suitable for combo sleepers. This will hopefully help you get more restful sleep because the process of moving from your back to your stomach and so on requires a lot less energy than with a memory foam mattress, for example.
Body Type Analysis
WinkBed is one of the most durable, resilient mattresses we’ve come across. We think WinkBed will be a great option for people of all shapes and sizes.
- Heavy Body Types
While most online mattresses are made entirely of foam (like Puffy or Nectar) and aren’t suitable for people over 250 lb., the WinkBed is one of the best mattresses for heavy and/or obese sleepers. In fact, WinkBeds actually makes a specific mattress model for heavy people called WinkBed Plus.
According to tests performed by WinkBed, in a 20-year simulation featuring a 350 lb. sleeper, WinkBed Plus experienced almost no loss in firmness or loft. In fact, it retained 98% of its firmness and 99.2% of its loft at the end of that 20-year simulation. You can learn more about the Plus version on WinkBeds’s website.
- Average Body Types
Given that WinkBed can handle heavy people, it can take on medium-sized individuals no problem. Average body types have the unique advantage of being able to sleep on any type of bed, and the WinkBed is no exception.
- Petite Body Types
Petite people tend to prefer softer beds since they don’t sink as far into the mattress. Thankfully, WinkBed has multiple firmness options to choose from. Petite individuals may want to stick with WinkBeds’ Luxury Firm or Softer option so they don’t end up with a bed that feels much too firm.
WinkBed Mattress Pricing
This is not a cheap mattress, but it also certainly is not an expensive mattress. In fact, for what you’re getting, we’d consider WinkBed a really nice value. Sure, it’s more expensive than Leesa, but it’s also (quite a bit) more affordable than Purple 4. Here’s a pricing breakdown before any discounts.
WinkBed Mattress Performance
Edge support is all about how strong the edges of the mattress are. WinkBed is fine here, thanks to their Extra-Edge support system, but it’s not the best we’ve ever seen. We can confidently say that it will be just fine for almost everyone unless, for some reason, edge support happens to be the sole thing you care about in a mattress. If that’s the case, there are some beds that we would rate higher here.
What is motion isolation? This is important when one partner (1) is active in their sleep, (2) likes to sneak a midnight snack, or (3) insists on drinking a lot of water before bed.
Given that WinkBed has coils, it’s not your absolute best bet in terms of motion isolation. It does a better job than traditional innerspring mattresses, but there are a handful of beds we’d rather have if motion isolation is the number one most important factor.
Is WinkBed A Good Mattress For Couples?
If you’re shopping for two, you should be able to find a firmness profile that’s comfortable for both of you—that’s the most important. There are, however, two elements that are important for couples that are often overlooked with a new mattress. Let’s talk about edge support and motion isolation.
Should you get this mattress if you or your partner is a hot sleeper? During our testing period on WinkBed, we found that the answer is possible. The mattress by itself tends to be more neutral, but there’s a lot that goes into the temperature of a mattress beyond just materials.
In general, coils tend to be better than foams for airflow, so WinkBed gets a big thumbs up there. In fact, they say that the coils have a ventilation system designed to move heat through the mattress and away from your body. Plus, the Tencel cover sleeps cooler than other materials like cotton.
WinkBeds Mattress Review Verdict
It’s honestly hard to imagine a better mattress than WinkBed. It has a fluffy pillow top feel, but it’s also incredibly supportive and versatile for any sleeper. As we often say, there’s no single best bed for everyone, but we were impressed during our WinkBed review. If you like the idea of a hotel luxury mattress in your house, WinkBed might be the one for you.
Our favorite parts about WinkBed:
- It looks the part, feels just as luxurious, and it’s able to suit just about any sleeper style.
- With different firmness levels, there is a model compatible with every body type.
Why Trust Us
Get the kind of sleep you’ve only dreamed of with some help from our team of mattress experts. We personally test more than 175 of the best sleep solutions from over 60 leading brands on site, so you can be sure you’re getting unbiased reviews, fair comparisons and personalized recommendations.
Other WinkBeds Products
- EcoCloud mattress
- MemoryLux mattress
- Adjustable WinkBase 2.0
- Platform foundation
- Heavy-duty bed frame
- 100% fine-combed cotton sheets
- BreatheCool mattress protector
Yes! WinkBed mattress is a luxury hybrid bed at a lower price point. It’s not actually the most budget-friendly, but it’s hard to find this level of value and support anywhere else. The Softer, Luxury Firm and Firmer model of WinkBed are all the same price, so sleepers get to cater to their needs without having to sacrifice for budget.
Absolutely. The “Softer” and “Luxury Firm” WinkBed models are both good for side sleepers. Back and stomach sleepers will prefer the “Firmer” model.
WinkBed mattresses have a lifespan of 7-8 years, which is about as long as any other bed. The foam layers of the bed may start to show signs of aging, but the strong coils will keep the mattresses from sagging.
Yes! The supportive coils and soft foam layers of the WinkBed mattress make it an excellent choice for people with back pain. The pressure-relieving pillow top allows any sleeper style to enjoy the WinkBed.
How We Test Mattresses
- Our testing process
My Slumber Yard has been around since the beginning of the bed in a box craze. Our team has personally tested and reviewed over 175 mattresses so far, and we keep more than 150 beds in our office so we can compare them (and take afternoon naps).
When testing mattresses, we evaluate the following factors:
- Construction: We cut beds open to see what’s inside and how it’s made.
- Feel: We check if it has a stuck-in-the-mud memory foam feel, or if it’s more of a neutral foam or a plush pillow top, etc.
- Firmness: We have our own firmness scale and evaluate how that may vary depending on your body and sleeper type.
- Pressure relief: We test what’s the sweet spot for different body and sleeper types.
- Support: How that changes by body/sleeper type
- Edge Support: This is important for couples who share a bed. Would you roll out of the bed, or can you sleep confidently close to the edges?
- Motion Isolation: We use the water glass test to see how the bed fares with motion transfer. This is another important factor for couples who don’t want to wake up when they move.
- Temperature Regulation: We use a temperature gun to evaluate if the bed warms up, stays neutral or actively cools while you sleep.
- Noise: This could be an issue in beds with coils or innerspring.
- Off-Gassing: Some beds could have a smell for a few weeks after unpacking, and we try to warn you about it.
- Company policies: We also take into account policies such as shipping, returns, trial period and warranty.
- Value: We look at a bed’s price in the context of what it offers in terms of features and quality of materials and construction.